Menu

We have been a part of CC's Essential program for the last two years.  For a variety of reasons, we are stepping down from CC.  There was quite a bit I loved about Essentials- I'm not a grammar minded person and learned a lot!  I also feel that it could have done better in some areas.  Any recommendations for a grammar program?  What are that programs strengths/weaknesses?   If you have done Essentials, how does it compare?

Rod and Staff {the gold standard but heavily religious. textbook based.}

Christian Light Education {many use this after burning out on R&S. workbook or Light Unit based. combines grammar, spelling, penmanship}

Hake Grammar and Writing {Saxon Math like format.}

Easy Grammar

Winston Grammar

Junior Analytical Grammar/Analytical Grammar

Growing With Grammar

If teaching Latin, Memoria Press Grammar Recitation series

Michael Clay Thompson Language Arts

Shurley Grammar

Bob Jones University

Voyages in English

ABeka

First Langauge Lessons {levels 3 and 4 can be used by older students}

Vintage texts like Harvey's Elementary Grammar, Grammarland, and others

look at Rainbow Resource for more options

HTH!

If you want *only* grammar, my recommendation is Easy Grammar. It doesn't do diagramming, so if you want that, many folks here like Analytical Grammar (or Junior Analytical Grammar).

Rod and Staff's English series does have excellent grammar instruction, but it isn't only grammar; it also includes writing, using reference materials, and more. It's very traditional in its methodology.

Also leaving CC this year but amazed at how much DD and I both learned. I was so afraid of diagramming and now we both "get it" and I think it's like a puzzle to solve (and I've always loved puzzles). Leaning towards Analytical grammar because a local mentoring Classical mom (TWTM based) uses it. Wondering if Jr. Analytical is necessary first if we've gotten a decent handle on what was taught in Essentials. (Also wondering if I recognize your (partially similar) UN from the CC Connected pages....if so, thanks for some great helps!!!)

My DS11 has been learning a lot from Hake Grammar. It uses as spiral approach (which we personally haven't used in other subjects). The daily worksheets cover many topics, which means there are a lot of instructions to read. It was a struggle for him at first, but has been fabulous for him to gain skills in reading and following directions. These skills have carried over into other subjects, especially in math word problems.  It is an open and go curriculum and fairly independent.