Menu

What was your biggest curriculum mistake?

Queserasera

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of you who don't like MUS are scaring me, although I guess several math names are popping up here. I'm using MUS! What's wrong???? :)

My son hated it because for him, it was the same thing over and over and he wanted to learn something new, even though he wasn't passing his tests. It also put him so far behind when we switched to a new curriculum because of their narrow focus and how much they did not go over that other programs were going through. Also, some of the ways that they explained things were confusing for him and made it harder than it needed to be.

I attempted time4learning when we were moving and thought something online while we shipped our books would be a great fit. Neither the kids or I could understand the layout. I also thought it there would be more interaction at the younger grades (more videos/text being read to the child), but I found it was more click and I had to read. Not what I was expecting.

Anything to do with spoken foreign languages, i.e. Not Latin. Too many expensive mistakes to realize I need to wait until they are old enough for a real class and a real tutor, and we'll stick with Latin until then.

Rosetta Stone.

Easy Spanish

Easy Spanish Jr. (!)

Easy French (!!! I just don't learn, do I?)

Spanish for Children (best out of all, but still)

Others I can't remember

Other then that, I consider most of my mistakes to be things I learn from as a teacher, and learn about what works for us and what doesn't. This is often valuable to me even if I don't end up liking or using a program.

Except I do own a lot of the upper level Classical Writing manuals that I don't think I will ever use in any form.

For grades 3 - 7 I made my own curriculum. Maybe that was a mistake? Nah!

Mistakes were made, however!

Foreign Language: My kids are in 7th and 9th now. We are just starting Spanish. I SO wish we started in kindergarten! We tried French for a while using Rosetta Stone and it was a failure of Homeric proportion. Neither my wife nor I know much about French but WE wanted to learn so... Foolish! We both know more Spanish and should have stuck with that.

Advice I'd give: Pick a language you know at least a smattering of and stick with it. If you don't know one, don’t sweat it as it really isn't that big of a deal. The next suggestion is! Start young, young, young. Young as possible! Work with it until the kids start college or move out.

English: Here we go! We floundered in English year after year. Is there not a decent grade school grammar book out there? I tried the old Lepanto Voyages in English one year ( grades 3 & 5) and again (grades 6 & 8). I hated it both times and wonder what came over me to try it again that second time. We used Seaton for the in-between years and my kids say they didn't learn anything from it but the work was so easy it didn't matter.

Advice: Stay clear of the old version VOI (I know nothing about the new ones from Loyola)! My 7th grader is working out of a college introduction to writing textbook titled The Writers World: Paragraphs and Essays. It is split into composition in the  first half of the book and editing grammar in the second. That seems to be working magnificently for her.

Composition: I got so hung-up on the grammar struggle I neglected the composition. I have come to realize composition is the more important of the two. I got the two inverted in importance because grade school curriculums focus so heavily on grammar. Who was I to argue? I should have argued! It didn't help that I one year tried Classical Composition.  It, like VOI, is so poorly done that you as teacher will spend far more time working on it than will the student.

Advice: Have you students start writing early on and keep them writing throughout their academic careers. It really is far more important that sentence diagramming will ever be.

So these are my biggest curriculum regrets in home schooling my kids. Hope they are helpful to someone somewhere!

We LOVE the old VIE! It's funny how something that is a terrible fit for one person, is such a great fit for others :)

I'll note that we only use the grammar portion - not really the composition parts.

For grades 3 - 7 I made my own curriculum. Maybe that was a mistake? Nah!

Mistakes were made, however!

Foreign Language: My kids are in 7th and 9th now. We are just starting Spanish. I SO wish we started in kindergarten! We tried French for a while using Rosetta Stone and it was a failure of Homeric proportion. Neither my wife nor I know much about French but WE wanted to learn so... Foolish! We both know more Spanish and should have stuck with that.

Advice I'd give: Pick a language you know at least a smattering of and stick with it. If you don't know one, don’t sweat it as it really isn't that big of a deal. The next suggestion is! Start young, young, young. Young as possible! Work with it until the kids start college or move out.

English: Here we go! We floundered in English year after year. Is there not a decent grade school grammar book out there? I tried the old Lepanto Voyages in English one year ( grades 3 & 5) and again (grades 6 & 8). I hated it both times and wonder what came over me to try it again that second time. We used Seaton for the in-between years and my kids say they didn't learn anything from it but the work was so easy it didn't matter.

Advice: Stay clear of the old version VOI (I know nothing about the new ones from Loyola)! My 7th grader is working out of a college introduction to writing textbook titled The Writers World: Paragraphs and Essays. It is split into composition in the  first half of the book and editing grammar in the second. That seems to be working magnificently for her.

Composition: I got so hung-up on the grammar struggle I neglected the composition. I have come to realize composition is the more important of the two. I got the two inverted in importance because grade school curriculums focus so heavily on grammar. Who was I to argue? I should have argued! It didn't help that I one year tried Classical Composition.  It, like VOI, is so poorly done that you as teacher will spend far more time working on it than will the student.

Advice: Have you students start writing early on and keep them writing throughout their academic careers. It really is far more important that sentence diagramming will ever be.

So these are my biggest curriculum regrets in home schooling my kids. Hope they are helpful to someone somewhere!

We LOVE the old VIE! It's funny how something that is a terrible fit for one person, is such a great fit for others :)

I'll note that we only use the grammar portion - not really the composition parts.

It really is funny. Kolbe Academy, the mast to which we have pinned my son's high school colors, uses it. Probably why I tried it that second time, upon reflection.  My kids actually would laugh at the books’ frequent use of a word they were defining within the definition, knowing that to be a pet peeve of mine. I think they’d point it out just to watch my head explode! Gotta love the little critters!

Still, lots of folks love it and swear it is a fantastic grammar book. I think that's great and appropriate. I thank God we are not all the same. I'm fairly certain I'd get into a fistfight with me pretty quickly!