Menu

Has anyone ordered dresses/jumpers online?

Luanne

If so, where did you order them from?  I'm considering ordering a couple of jumpers for myself from King's Daughter's.  I like the fact that they will shorten the dress for you, add hidden side pockets (very necessary), and let you choose the style and fabric (they have a bunch of choices) ... and they seem to be very comparably priced.  I haven't been able to find any dresses, jumpers, or skirts around here that are as modest as I like so ....

Do you sew at all? The dresses on the site are very simple to make. I've been thinking of making those style for my daughter, with slightly different sleeves and possibly shorter hem.

But to answer your question, I've never ordered from them. I have ordered from larger manufacturers with mixed results.

I did see that they have a ten week wait.  I'm willing to wait to get what I want.  No, I don't sew at all.  I do own a brand new sewing machine in hopes that my daughter (she is 25) would take it up, but so far that hasn't happened either.  The last time I tried to sew something, I ended up throwing it across the room at my daughter. 

Are you looking for like historical re-enactment clothing?  I can't quite tell from that website because I think that's what they sell but then your post indicated it might be day to day dresses.  If your looking for day to day dresses then I recommend Lands End.  I particularly like their cotton knit dresses and a number of them have pockets.  

I admire your desire to dress modestly, Luanne.  I'm always on the lookout for clothes that are modest, comfortable, non-frumpy, and suitable for doing housework and chasing after kids.  For me, the easiest solution is buying full or a-line skirts and pairing them with cute tops.  Finding tops that aren't too tight is a challenge, but not impossible.  If the shirts are too low-cut, I just put a tank under them. (I buy tanks from Old Navy and wear them backwards.  The back neckline is higher, and since the tanks are tagless, it works!) 

I especially like denim skirts and boho-type print skirts.  The knit skirts from Lands' End are nice, too.  I find a lot of skirts on eBay, and as I mentioned upthread, I've also bought skirts from ringgerclothing.com and liliesapparel.com.  Both will customize the skirt's length, print, pockets, etc.  I like the skirts from Lilies best, because they sew several rows of topstitching over the wide elastic in the waist.  It looks neater, and the elastic doesn't twist.  Ringger Clothing is also good quality, but the elastic in their waistbands is just in a simple casing.  I don't think it looks quite as nice.

Good luck in your search!

eshakti.com has customizable dresses in stylish options.  It varies by dress but typically you can choose the sleeve length, dress length, neckline, etc.  The first order, the customizing is free.  They frequently have sales.  I bought over President's day weekend for 35% off.  I haven't received mine yet, but friends have been very happy with their orders.

Sears has maxi skirts as well. They actually fit the woman figure too, and are not made of "material that shows every nook and cranny of your backside". okay, anyways. :) I have one like that, and I always wear a long sweater over the back, because the look of it grosses me out, not to mention what it may do to others!

My favorite pair of dress pants come from Christopher and Banks, but I know they have some really nice skirt sets as well.

JCPenny has nice clothes as well. 

Totally off topic, but I just have to say that I was totally thrown for a loop by the title of this thread.  I had no idea anyone intentionally purchased jumpers.  I thought they were only home-made by the very conservative.

Totally off topic, but I just have to say that I was totally thrown for a loop by the title of this thread.  I had no idea anyone intentionally purchased jumpers.  I thought they were only home-made by the very conservative.

I was just looking for some denim jumpers at the local thrift store a few weeks ago. They usually have some, but not this time. I am a very unconservative hippie, but jumpers are warm and comfy. I hope they come back in style. I will probably be sewing myself some.