Menu

Another orthodontist question....

Joker

Can you make them remove the braces?

We've already paid in full and dd is at the end of the original treatment end date. We had a second opinion today with a different orthodontist who said they would not take on her treatment because they would be doing things very differently and would need to basically start over (which means it is all out of pocket and very expensive, especially considering we've already paid one ortho). Our second opinion recommended removing the braces for 3-6 months to see what happens and go from there, but they will not remove another ortho's braces (it seems no one here will and only a few will even consult during treatment).

We're meeting with our current ortho next week to try to figure out what's going on as they are not communicating effectively with me up to this point. I'm wondering if we can end it with asking them to just remove her appliances. Will they do that if she isn't where they want her? Does it matter that the treatment plan we signed in the beginning said only 18 months? Can we hold them to that?

I doubt if you can "hold" them to 18 months - if the teeth move more slowly than expected, sometimes it takes longer.  DS18 had an extra 4 months in his braces because it took longer than expected for his front teeth to close up the gap between them.  DS was most unhappy about the extra time (aka pitched a fit), but sometimes the teeth just move slow.

It sounds the issue might be more that you are unhappy with the results after 18 months?  I think sitting down with the ortho is your best bet and let them know that you aren't happy with how things look.  If you guys can't agree to continue the treatment plan, then it is very reasonable to tell them to remove the braces (though you will probably have to do that in a separate appointment as it takes time).

I would talk to the ortho and find out what's going on as far as your dc's progress and the anticipated treatment plan. Our ortho usually gives a range of time that treatment should take because teeth don't always move, kids don't always follow directions (such as how often to use rubberbands), etc. Ds1's treatment took longer than expected because he wasn't using his rubberbands as often as he should have. Plus his particular treatment required moving molars, which just takes longer in the first place. Ds2's treatment took less time than expected because he *did* use his rubberbands as prescribed and his teeth moved more easily.

I don't think you should expect treatment to be completed in 18 months just because you signed a paper saying 18 months. It's more like physical therapy--in that treatment time depends on how the patient progresses--rather than, say, a house lease, where at the end of your time you're out of there.

Thanks everyone. The problem is we're receiving conflicting messages from our current ortho and no clear information.

Dd has a gap that has formed (when she started treatment she had zero room). Two months ago we were told the gap formed because she wasn't wearing bands often enough. Now we're told it's worse because she's wearing them too well. :confused1:  She doesn't want to wear them at all now because she doesn't trust them and is afraid whatever she does will make it worse.

I think we really want to follow the advice given today which is to remove braces and see where things are in about six months, then reevaluate. Everything I found today said we should be able to get them to remove her braces and we'll just have to sign some sort of release form.

Thanks everyone. The problem is we're receiving conflicting messages from our current ortho and no clear information.

Dd has a gap that has formed (when she started treatment she had zero room). Two months ago we were told the gap formed because she wasn't wearing bands often enough. Now we're told it's worse because she's wearing them too well. :confused1:  She doesn't want to wear them at all now because she doesn't trust them and is afraid whatever she does will make it worse.

I think we really want to follow the advice given today which is to remove braces and see where things are in about six months, then reevaluate. Everything I found today said we should be able to get them to remove her braces and we'll just have to sign some sort of release form.

Re: the rubberbands. That *would* be frustrating, getting that kind of info. No wonder you're leery of continuing treatment through them. With ds2 he was told to wear the rubberbands all the time, except eating and brushing of course. Next appt they were surprised by how fast things were progressing because they don't expect kids actually will wear the rubberbands all the time like ds2 did. So he was told only wear rubberbands when sleeping. By the next appt he was done with rubberbands and they just wanted to see how things would settle.

Sorry to hear you're not having a decent experience. I hope they don't give you too much grief over discontinuing treatment.

We couldn't afford the ortho's new "extended treatment plan" that was brought up when my son was supposed to be finished with his treatment. It was purely cosmetic, and no one wanted it, except the ortho who was making money. :( After a few different docs refused to remove the braces, we went back to the original dr and they removed the braces for free. We had to sign a waiver, that's all. The drs who refused to take the braces off we're worried about liability issues, and I think that's what spurred the original dr to help in the end, also