Menu

First vacation sans kids. Going to Portland. Trip advice?

staceyobu

DH and I are going to Portland for our first trip without kids in 10 years.  Does anyone who has been there or live there have recommended must sees?

We are spending two days skiing on Mt Hood.  Any advice on taking group or private lessons?  I have skied once 12 years ago and DH has never skied.

We used to live in Portland and have since moved about an hour and a half away. If you are outdoorsy the hikes of Oneonta Gorge and Eagle Creek are beautiful and not something available most anywhere else. Powells bookstore is the largest independent bookstore in the U.S. and possibly the world now. The Pied Cow on Belmont is a fun place for drinks and dinner. House of Vintage on Hawthorn can be very enjoyable and silly (Macklemore's a Thrift Shop was filmed in parts of the store). Voodoo doughnuts is a kick and definitely not an appropriate place for kids (they have adult shaped eclairs, if you get me). You can also renew your vows there as all the staff are ordained for the purpose of marrying guests. Brought on beach is a nice walk along the Columbia in the sand, and has quite a lot of beach glass if you go down about half a mile. The only other place I can think of is the Hotcake House on Powell. It is just a truck stop diner with great food, totally Portland, and good prices. They are open 24 hours and the staff all wear tye dye.

I am sure there are lots of others, but I am blanking right now.

Multnomah Falls will be on your way from the Portland Airport to Mt Hood on 84. There are a number of amazing falls near Multnomah Falls. McMenamins Edgefield is the old Multnomah County Poorhouse, which is now a hotel, winery, distillery and many other fun things. It has decent burgers and beers. Powells, Voodoo Donuts, and the Classical Chinese Gardens are all very worth the trip. Higgins Restaurant is excellent. They are very farm-to-fork, and are great for an adult meal.  :001_smile: The Pearl District and NW 23rd are good for "trendy" shopping.

Multnomah Falls is a lovely hike and the lodge has good food. If you haven't been to the Oregon coast, you must go. Neskowin and Pacific City are two favorite places for beachcombing, but there are lots of nice places. Allow plenty of time for Powells. I could spend an entire weekend there. If you visit after March 1, the Saturday Market on the waterfront is lovely. OMSI is really cool and I always wish I could go sans kiddos!

Screen Door on Burnside is the most amazing southern food restaurant. If you show up around opening, you won't have to wait long. It is worth a wait, though! I have only had dinner but I hear brunch is killer.

I haven't spent a large amount of time in Portland even though I have been there many times.  My father is from Portland and I have many relatives in that area.   But I do love the Oregon Coast.  My cousin lives in Pacific City and it is wonderful (we have seen whales from her living room window!)

It is well worth a drive down the coast a bit, even if you don't make it down that far.  However, if you do, the Tilamook Cheese Factory is on the way and is a fun stop.  They have a lovely ice cream shop too.

(they have adult shaped eclairs, if you get me).

That reminds me of when I took my ds (then 10) to Voodoo Donuts, and he ordered one of those donuts. He didn't know the name, and only ordered it because it was 3 donuts together. The counter guy said, "You mean the.....(looks at me)....uh, this big one right here?" :lol:

I second (or third) many of the suggestions you've been given, especially Powell's Books and the Oregon Coast. If you have time on your way to Mt. Hood, drive the old highway instead of the freeway. It is beautiful and takes you right to Multnomah Falls and many other beautiful hikes.

Cat