Menu

Anyone have a tried and true healthy but yummy turkey burger recipe?

HappyGrace

First of all, I only use turkey thigh, not turkey breast.  I start by putting some flax meal in a bowl (which i already had for other reasons when i started this, but you can skip it), then add a big pinch of sugar, a dash of soy sauce, a couple dashes of salt, some celery seed and some parsley.  I mix that first (because the flax meal is weird), then add in the meat, and then add a tablespoon of olive oil.  The olive oil helps it not be so dry, and also makes it easier to form in to patties.  Which is to say that - oil makes it taste better.  I dont believe that fats are automatically evil.  Fried food is pretty bad, but our bodies need some fats

This one is from an old weight-watchers cookbook!  One that my husband and I really enjoy - and so do most of our children.

Asian Turkey Burgers (makes 4 large burgers)

1 lb ground turkey breast

2 tbsp Hoisin sauce

1 tsp ground ginger

1 tsp Asian (dark) sesame oil

1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce

Broil, grill, or fry.  We eat them on an English muffin half, toasted.

I usually just add soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and pepper. The key (especially with turkey breast) is to mix it very very gently. If you over mix, it will get tough and hard. Then check temp and pull it right at 165.

My family also likes spinach (I use thawed, chopped frozen) with an egg and crumbled feta for spanikopita burgers. Season with salt and pepper. I think the idea was from an old Rachael Ray show. Her website has tons of good burger recipes.

Yeah I also recommend you don't buy the lowest fat version of turkey meat  It's dry pretty much no matter what you do to it.  That's ok for something like taco meat, but a burger...nah just bone dry. 

This is important.  As is purchasing good quality ground turkey in the first place.   If I'm making turkey burgers or meatballs or something where the turkey is the star, I make sure to buy the fresh ground turkey in the meat case.  If I'm doing tacos or sloppy joes or adding ground meat to marinara, then I'll consider buying the inexpensive chubs of ground turkey in the freezer case.