Menu

Bible study resources

Anybody have favorites for bible study portion of their homeschool day?  anything on biblical character traits for younger children?  We've been using a daily devotional book "Leading Little Ones to God" this year with our 6 and 8 year old children. Just trying to plan a little for next year...thank you:)

Kids of Integrity is an amazing and free resource by Focus on the Family.  For each character trait, there are relevant craft projects, Bible stories (with really thought-provoking and age appropriate discussion questions), object lessons, and activities among other things.  We *love* it, and I've seen some real changes in my children when we focus on a specific character trait in this way.

We started using Bible Study Guide for All Ages this year, which quickly became a favorite.  It is basically a Bible study program and does not focus on character traits, it does include life application in each lesson.

We've used a number! LOL!! I guess changin it up, meeting needs, keeping it fresh. One thing for me is I like the kids to use the bible - not just a workbook with quotes, so all my suggestions require that....

The absolute best we've used has been the sword study from the National bible Bee. Amazing stuff. Deep stuff. We did 1 John last summer for the bible bee and it was amazing. Life changing stuff. The newer versions are easier to use but the older ones are so thick with great stuff. LOVE these.

The Kay Arthur kids inductor books are good for 4th and up.

Proverbs People is a great workbook for 2-4/5th grade.

We've also used our kids AWANA stuff for bible study.

HTH!!

we are currently using keys for kids devotionals, little visits with god, kids of integrity, children's book of virtues, bible verse printables and songs from 1+1+1=1. odd will be getting baptized soon and will receive her first very own "real" bible. i will then have her start working through kay arthur's how to study the bible for kids.

Kids of Integrity is an amazing and free resource by Focus on the Family.  For each character trait, there are relevant craft projects, Bible stories (with really thought-provoking and age appropriate discussion questions), object lessons, and activities among other things.  We *love* it, and I've seen some real changes in my children when we focus on a specific character trait in this way.

We started using Bible Study Guide for All Ages this year, which quickly became a favorite.  It is basically a Bible study program and does not focus on character traits, it does include life application in each lesson.

i want to use bsgfaa. i have everything but the student pages. but i just. can't. figure it out! help?

This is our second year of using BSGFAA, and I'm pleased with my child's retention.  Last year, I bought only the manual without the student pages (I had DS6 draw a picture for each story).  This year I bought the student pages, too.  I definitely see better retention with them.  We do one lesson per day, and I don't do all the drills or the timeline on the wall.  I read the passage, sometimes ask the questions, and we do the page together.  Since we have more school days than lessons, I intend to use the extra days after we complete Unit 2 to learn the drills we skipped.

I bought the intermediate pages for my six-year-old because he's a good reader, and they've been more challenging for him than I expected (but still doable).  I plan to order the beginning ones for my four-year-old because I think she could manage them. 

I like the music CD they offer.  Lots of it is cheesy, but we learned several usefully informative songs and a lot more just fun ones.  My kids sing along with it in the car.

This is my plan for next year (2nd grade with a preK tag along). We are going to have Bible notebooks with sections for different things...like people, stories, scriptures (that have been memorized) and probably miscellaneous for things like "fruit of the Spirit" "armor of God", etc.

For the people section, I want a coloring page of the character and then on the back, they can write things that they have learned about that person.

For the story section, again a coloring page with a narration of the story on the back.

Scripture- verses that they have learned written out in their best handwriting

Misc.- I have a bunch of random topic things maybe some with worksheets.

I found some free bible lapbook things that I would like to stick in there. Especially things for reference, like the books of the bible or a list of the apostles

In a couple years, I would like to add books of the bible section and as things are learned, notes can be put in the appropriate book. I had an AWESOME coloring book when I was a kid color thru the Bible by the Walk thru the Bible people. I would love to have that again, but it is out of print and so far I have not found it on eBay.

Anyway, that's my rough plan! (I feel like I knew a LOT about the bible as a kid, but in a very disjointed way. I didn't necessarily make connections between events or people)

I really REALLY love the Kay Arthur Bible Studies for kids. Not sure if they'd work for your littlest one, BUT they are meant for the child to find the answers & not be spoon fed. If you use an NASB version you could really get by with one book & allow the children to answer questions orally if you wanted. Then again I have no qualms with my kids writing in their Bibles. :D I want them to OWN them, kwim?

This year we're also really enjoying one from Winter Promise that's a Character trait one. It's historically based & biblically based. Not sure if that makes sense, but it's meant to be used along their US History Theme. I picked it up because my youngest is into all things warish & this one starts with people like Abraham Lincoln & the Civil War so he was totally hooked. :D

I've had my eye on BSGFAA for next year.  For those who have used it, may I ask how many lessons you use per week?  I'm trying to figure out how much I should order.

We can do one lesson/day.  I alternate ours with character training activities and hymn study, so we don't go do a BSGFAA lesson every day.  My kids cheer when I say that it's a day for BSGFAA though.  They *love* it.  Their retention surprises me, especially in my youngest who has some learning challenges. 

BSGFAA - I have nothing BUT the student pages. Easy, in depth, and no planning for me! LOVE!

We are working through Judges and my kids retain tons!

Just wanted to add that for angelmama...

guess i should just buy the student pages then and dive in instead of trying to try to figure it out from the teacher text. thanks!

We started participating in Community Bible Study this year because our local study started offering homeschool classes. I've been very impressed with the depth of my girls' studies. They're currently studying the book of Hebrews, just like I am.

Just popped on this thread to mention the same thing! :-)

My oldest is not in the homeschool class yet, but I've heard great things about it and am excited to have him studying the same materials as me next year. And the pre-K to First Grade classes, which follow a well-designed repeating four-year curriculum cycle, have been excellent. My kids loooove going to "Bible School," and I keep all their take-home papers in a binder as a record/review of the lessons they've learned. Couldn't speak more highly about the teachers and program in our area-- and definitely recommend the program for adults too (I have friends in it who have never studied the Bible, and friends with seminary degrees...all love it).

ETA: it's also really inexpensive, especially considering all you get, since donations are a big part of it. Adults: $25/year (includes all books); kids: $20/year with a $40 max/family (plus I think an additional book fee for children old enough to join the homeschool class).

We've also really loved "The Jesus Storybook Bible" by Sally Lloyd-Jones (plus its fabulous audio CDs). Unlike most "children's Bibles" that are just a disjointed collections of favorite Bible stories, this ties the stories together theologically. And it's beautifully written and illustrated too.

And another resource you may like is "Training Hearts Teaching Minds" by Starr Meade. It provides daily devotionals for the whole family (mon-sat), with each week based on a different question from the Shorter Catechism. A great way to ensure that kids understand Biblical theology. I've paired it with Holly Dutton's audio memory songs on the Westminster Shorter Catechism, which are really enjoyable for adults to listen to, too (side note: the book uses updated English for the text of each question, while the songs use the original text. Hasn't been a problem for us; we just memorize it in the original following the songs.) We just started it and have enjoyed it; but a friend has done it for some time and her young children (oldest is grade 2) love it and have memorized much of the catechism through it.

I'm appreciating all the suggestions, too!

At that age we've just read a children's bible and talk about it.   We also love, love the Jesus Storybook Bible.  We have the audio CDs as well.  Girls get up early wanting to read theirs and I have DS listen to his in his bed before "wake-up time". :)  I really think this particular Bible is for adults, too. ;)  Actually, I think if it's not good enough for adults, it's "twaddle" in my mind and I don't waste my time on it.  Another favorite here is  the Catherine Vos Children's Story Bible.

We've also really loved "The Jesus Storybook Bible" by Sally Lloyd-Jones (plus its fabulous audio CDs). Unlike most "children's Bibles" that are just a disjointed collections of favorite Bible stories, this ties the stories together theologically. And it's beautifully written and illustrated too.

And another resource you may like is "Training Hearts Teaching Minds" by Starr Meade. It provides daily devotionals for the whole family (mon-sat), with each week based on a different question from the Shorter Catechism. A great way to ensure that kids understand Biblical theology. I've paired it with Holly Dutton's audio memory songs on the Westminster Shorter Catechism, which are really enjoyable for adults to listen to, too (side note: the book uses updated English for the text of each question, while the songs use the original text. Hasn't been a problem for us; we just memorize it in the original following the songs.) We just started it and have enjoyed it; but a friend has done it for some time and her young children (oldest is grade 2) love it and have memorized much of the catechism through it.