Menu

If your high schooler has a paying job...

how did he/she obtain it? I have taken ds around town applying for jobs, and all have said to apply on-line. He fills out the application, but then nothing. We have not gotten a single call to ask for an interview. Ds is 16 and wants a part-time job. Apparently, it's still "who you know" and he doesn't have an "in" anywhere?

I need to think outside the box because this way isn't working.

Any ideas? :confused1: :bigear:

Yes, jobs for the under-18 crowd are scarce in my area because of the local community college and many who live at home while commuting to a nearby 4-year school.  Employers prefer to hire the older ones and are willing to work around their college schedules versus hiring a kid still in high school who is less mature and can only work outside of school hours.

The teens that I know that are working are doing as-needed work in the hospitality sector serving at banquets, washing dishes, etc.  My oldest has an in with one small business where we know the owner quite well, but he doesn't have any openings right now.

My dd isn't working yet, but one surprising job that is "hot" in our area, and I assume in other places as well, is working in a nursing home.  I know of several teens that are employed as unskilled dietary aides and several others who took a CNA class at the local CC and now work as CNA's in local nursing homes (though CNA's can also work in group homes, hospitals, etc).  According to the kdis we know, the pay is great (even though the work isn't always pleasant) and they generally can get as many hours as they want.  Apparently it's hard for homes to get help.  Also, nursing homes will often offer to pay for CNA training (my dd is taking a CNA class through a dual-credit program).  Just an idea--not the typical one I'd think of for teenagers, but one I'm excited to have stumbled upon for my dd.

My dd started with pet sitting. She started with just one neighbor at age 8. She has made very good money with that. She got her lifeguard cert last year and did lifeguard subbing in summer. She's taking WSI now and hopes to land a teaching job. She has been an adaptive aquatics volunteer for 2.5 years so she has good references for that--the rec center aquatics directors all seem to know each other. She is 16.

Older ds has had a hard time. He does the online applications and the he follows up by going to the business dressed neatly and introducing himself to the manager. Several managers have given him positive feedback for taking this step, but they just aren't hiring. As a result he followed his younger sister's footsteps and got the lifeguard cert and WSI recently. He's in the middle of interviews with a health club now.

How about trying to have them use what they are good at and turn it into $$?  My 16 year old started giving guitar lessons at 14 and a half - he now has 9 students.  He also started his own business fixing people's broken or slow computers.  He runs sound/powerpoint, etc. at events (homeschool and church) and also does photography and video editing mostly all for free.  He also got offered a job with a company that his friend works for as their IT guy and my son is their social media and website administrator.  That is his steady gig - just goes right in savings.  He has just turned his interests into a ministry and also is now getting more paid jobs too.   He makes quite a lot but saves people a ton.  It's a lot for him, but cheap for the services.  My 14 year old is building swings and selling them on Craig's List and ebay.  He is working on making other things he can sell too.  I like that they can do this and work around school and social things!

Mine worked for free for a private swim teacher. Then, became a lifeguard. He was able to get his first job because of his unpaid experience.

I do think that gaining a skill, working for free in exchange for experience, is a good path for teens. They will get experience and a reference which will help get their resume read.

Mine worked for free for a private swim teacher. Then, became a lifeguard. He was able to get his first job because of his unpaid experience.

I do think that gaining a skill, working for free in exchange for experience, is a good path for teens. They will get experience and a reference which will help get their resume read.

:iagree: Ds has volunteered the last two summers as a "coach-in-training" at the sailing club. This puts him close to the top of the list for a paid position this summer since he will be sixteen. He has his lifeguard certification and is almost finished with the sailing coach certification that he has to do through US Sailing.  He also worked at a VBS program for a week last summer that he got paid for, but that job came because his older siblings have done it for several years. This ties to the work he is doing with sailing because he is working with kids.

His other employment goal is of course to work for our local parks and rec district as a lifeguard. He's on the young side, but comes with swimming and sailing coaches' recommendations. Both jobs compliment each other and hopefully that should keep him busy for the remaining two years of high school and possibly into college.

If both of those fail, he will probably join his siblings at a national retail chain, but he will have to be 18.

My son doesn't have a paying gig yet, but he would if he were going to stay local next school year.

He's been assisting/team teaching a few classes at his dance studio this year, gradually moving up from just demonstrating steps to co-teaching one (and doing the choreography for their recital dance) and teaching another under very minimal direction/supervision. He has been told that he is ready to teach classes on his own -- and get paid to do so -- next year when he will be 16.

As it has turned out, he likely won't be able to take them up on the offer, since he will be going to college out of town. He may be able to teach there over the summer, though, and plans to use his experience at the local studio and the recommendation from the owner to try and get hired at a dance school near whichever campus he ends up on next year.

Sounds like it's tough for many. He's definitely going to have to step outside the box. For the jobs he applied for online, he did go to those businesses in person first and was told to apply on-line.

So frustrating.

Yes, going in-person usually will be after the online app.  Follow up, be in front of the person on the day when someone didn't show up for work.  Most jobs that teens apply for will have managers who are also part-time and young, so not a well-thought-out process, a lot of spontaneous hiring that changes from one day to the next.

Also, this is a bad time to apply.  The holiday season and post-holiday season are over and the current staff isn't getting hours, so no newbies may be needed even on bad days.

Good times:  pre-holiday season (my son even started one job *on* black friday), and then pre-summer (BEFORE college kids get home in late May) and pre-back-to-school.

Contacts definitely help.  Not just professional contacts.  My youngest has gotten a LOT of jobs through friends, or gotten a lot of jobs for friends.  It seems to be more comfortable to hire a known commodity.  ETA:  Also where your kid hangs out.  My son lives at the YMCA, so he's been encouraged to work at their summer camps and such.

Homeschoolers can have an advantage if they are available for any time of day.  This, of course, wreaks havoc with schoolwork, so I can't say I totally advise it, but most businesses have less cheap labor available during school/workday hours.  This has to be paired with actually showing up and following through.  My son has been able to get by with saying he'll work any hours, and then saying he can't work certain times, as long as he is available other times and as long as he doesn't cancel at last minute or show up late.  Remember, also, that being "hired" is just the first step.  You can be hired but given no hours, and you can be hired but scheduled for too many hours you said you weren't available.

A great letter of recommendation goes a long way.  My son has brought them from VBS, etc.  I've written them for kids whom I've hired for babysitting or even digging - always building up their skills and their diligence and such to be great job skills (as long as it's true LOL).

I agree with thinking outside the box.  We are in a very dense area, I like to point out we have three different Target stores within a 5 minute drive, four McDonald's.  However, we also have tons of teens and young adults wanting jobs.  Besides the usual jobs (Target, mall), my youngest has gone to neighbors and offered to mow for $10, he now has a job running electronic advertising signs at high school sports games, he pitches in cleaning ductwork in a hospital at night when our cousin is short-handed, and he considered trying for a ski hill job.  My sister worked at the amusement park summers.  I cleaned motel rooms.  My oldest did a motel front desk late evenings and his friend did something to do with running the motel paperwork during the evenings, as well. 

Kids need to be 16 here for most jobs, due to child labor restrictions and such.  Younger kids here sometimes get jobs pushing carts in parking lots, serving food at senior high rises, short-term state fair food vendors, and of course delivering newspapers.

HTH,

Julie

P.S. If he never gets a job, maybe that will be a good motivator for working hard in school and going to college LOL.

My daughter got her first official paying job this fall at our local Y (she is 17). I have been going there since I was pregnant with her. She has played in their tot watch, sat through my spinning class, and taken swim and TKD lessons there. She has volunteered at VBS since she was old enough and a couple of summers volunteering at a Christian camp. Some one she takes DE classes with her let her know of lifeguard/swim instructor opening.  The YMCA paid for the all her training.

I think it's super helpful to "know" someone. But I do think that having adults who know your child's work ethic, and can provide a great reference, is even more important.

Ds has been working 6 days a week--he finally told a guy, no I can't cover your shift like I've been doing for weeks. Too much homework... 

My daughter tends to be the "go-to" person as well.  And there is not a lot of reciprocation. She too has had to say "no" because she isn't left with a lot of study time.  She has been given great reviews by her boss. :hurray:  

I would try to have him volunteer somewhere.  I think this is a great experience and resume builder and can very often lead to a job.  A library, museum, children's museum, children's sports program, summer camps, etc, are all great places to get experience that can lead to paying jobs and that can provide you with people who might write awesome letters of recommendation for college and and scholarship applications. (ETA: I did not mean to sound at all like that is why one should volunteer.  And in our family, volunteering is an important lifelong passion for all of us, for much different reasons than getting a good recommendation for college.  I just meant to say that, as an added bonus, those often tend to be people who really get to see you shine pursuing something you enjoy and giving of yourself without expecting to get anything back, and they are often people who are in a good position to write a recommendation for you.  Just wanted to clarify!)

Niche jobs seem to be a good way for teens to get hired, too, by possessing a skill or certification that someone else doesn't, i.e., lifeguard, soccer referee, teaching music lessons, get certified in CPR and babysitting (the local place here does some kind of certification for teen babysitters), get a computer repair certification online and fix people's computers.  I would try to help him identify some kind of intersection between his interests and what is available in your area.

I also agree, go in person after applying online, as a follow-up.

My eldest son got his fast food job by going in to apply after filling out the online app. He dressed as well as he could, waited for a "down moment" in the restaurant, and asked to speak to the manager. He was well-spoken and the manager liked him but their store wasn't hiring, so the manager called a franchise that's actually closer to our house and recommended him. He went to a meeting with the new manager of Store #2 who had been hired to help an inner city store recover from some issues and get on track as a better business. My son was able to grasp the business plan and say the right things to convince the manager that he'd be an asset in the transition. The icing on the cake was that as a homeschooler he was able to work at 3 pm, which was between the shifts everyone else usually works.

He's been there six months. It's not awesome (inner city fast food?) and he's received an education about some hard things in life and come to really appreciate the way people choose to deal with very difficult situations -- drugs are a serious problem here, and gang activity rears its head too often. His customers and co-workers are really struggling to survive the economic problems of this area and low education level. All of these experiences will be good for him as he intends to be a minister and chaplain. He likes his team and he likes his job. He's been told that if he wants to be a shift manager over the summer break the job is his.

My second son had no success finding any kind of work at all, so I advised him to volunteer at our local library. For an entire school year, he worked as a page for free, two mornings per week. He took the summer off, and when he went back in the fall to volunteer again (as arranged) they hired him! When he turns sixteen this summer he'll get real part-time hours. He works less than 10 hours per week now. He's learned a lot about the importance of a library in a depressed area. He likes his manager and coworkers very much.

If my third son can't find work when it's time, he will follow in his brother's footsteps and volunteer, instead. The same benefits are learned, as far as time management, work ethic, responsibility, etc., and connections can be made that lead to lucrative employment.