Menu

Pre k 5 year old boy obsessed with puzzles and math...

momsuz123

My little guy just turned 5. He is forever into counting and puzzles. Like all. Day. Long. Totally into it. I am all for it too, but running out of ideas to keep up with him. We do our own version of stack the states and countries with our puzzles. He does fun games like Camelot jr. And tanagrams too. Any other ideas for a little one who loves math?

Thanks.

Counting bears and the books that go with them, teddy bear math etc.

would he be ready for, say, mind benders from critical thinking company? They have a few K and pre k puzzle books.

Dominos

Geo boards? The ones with pins and either rubber bands or wool to make shapes and patterns that fit the geometry of the pins.

My not quite five year old enjoys these sticker puzzles:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077C4BK4/ref=oh_details_o08_s01_i08?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've also given him some pages from math ebooks I got during the last scholastic dollar days. He isn't ready for the harder puzzles toward the back of the book, but the beginning ones are just right:

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/solve-the-riddle-math-practice-mkt14168

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/50-fill-in-math-word-problems-addition-subtraction-mkt13987#

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/math-skills-made-fun-great-graph-art-to-build-early-math-ski-mkt1021#

I've also started him on super easy 4x4 sudukos.

My son was super into puzzles from 12 months on and we got him progressively more difficult ones like US puzzle ones that had a piece for every state , not just clumped together states.  He not only did the puzzle but memorized each states location. We then got him the geography puzzles Africa, Asia, Europe by the GeoPuzzle people.  So he was learning stuff while doing the puzzles.  We also got him place mats with all the presidents faces and he memorized those.  

My son also had a passion for mazes for a while.  Which is also like a puzzle.  This site was free and great....

http://krazydad.com/mazes/

You can pick the level of difficulty and just print print print.  He had us time him and see how fast he could complete them.  There are always ways to make things more difficult with a twist.  

Because he is 5 I would still keep it as fun as possible. I made quite a few mistakes by jumping the gun on academics.  Just because he was smart doesn't mean he was really ready for real school...unless he's begging for workbooks :)

Get him a clicking counter and have him keep track of things he sees out the window when you are driving. It's amazing! Soon he'll be comparing quantities and adding up to find how many --until I have 100? and things like that. Dd's cousin counted red cars, and she counted white ones, I believe. Oh, and stop signs--you won't believe how many we encounter in a given day!

This book, and the sequel (Much More Than Counting) have good games to construct.

You can also make your own math games by adding a die or dice to any manipulative, like erasers from the Dollar Store, or fake coins, or little bears/bugs/whatever. Take turns rolling then scoop up that many and put into some appropriate container--dogs into a dog house (make out of a box or just draw one on a piece of paper), money into a bank, etc.

My little guy just turned 5. He is forever into counting and puzzles. Like all. Day. Long. Totally into it. I am all for it too, but running out of ideas to keep up with him. We do our own version of stack the states and countries with our puzzles. He does fun games like Camelot jr. And tanagrams too. Any other ideas for a little one who loves math?

Thanks.

It does sound like he would love a bit more of a math program:)

But if you are looking for more of a math game type thing he can do independently, take a look at Inchimals. They are cute pre-measured pieces painted into characters. So the 1 in rod might be a ladybug, 2 in a rabbit, 3 in something else. All the way up to 12 inches. Then it comes with a book of challenges. With pictures, so reading isn't necessary. The book is a write/dry erase style with equations...but with say a picture of ladybug plus rabbit equals what Inchimal. There is a space underneath to write in the corresponding numbers.

Very cute, very fun, very laid back....but the kids are doing equations and exploring the relationships for themselves, Miquon style.