Menu

Food allergy pros, stop here, please!

Tiramisu

Two days this week my dd had a rash. I am starting to think it could have been caused by food, specifically peanut, as she had a good amount of peanut butter on those days.

So my question is, if someone gets a rash from eating the food is it possible to get a rash (that included hive-like spots) and have it resolve within four or five hours?

Would you recommend testing it at home if you suspect it could be an allergy or avoiding it until getting tested with an allergist?

Hives can be the first stop on the way to anaphylaxis, and it's impossible to know whether the reaction might escalate next time.  So, I would stay far away from peanut until you see an allergist for testing. (Peanut allergy is the most common cause of fatal anaphylaxis.)

If the rash did not include hives, then I wouldn't necessarily suspect peanut, though anything is possible.

Never challenge foods at home. If this child doesn't have epi pens for another allergy you are risking the life of your child.

Our Dr considers two body systems reacting to something as an allergy. And more exposure only heightens the risk of anaphylactic reaction.

Go see an allergist. Get it tested. We went in and tested all ingredients in a cookie I made that caused DS instant intestinal issues. I was shocked by the results of what he was allergic to. We have epi pens now and I'm glad, since he has had hives from just being near grass or another food item we didn't know he was allergic to.

I agree with all the others and would leave peanut trials to the allergist.

Did you do benadryl? Because we always did/do benadryl with hives, I don't know what would happen without. But allergic reactions do subside with time.

Hives type rash very soon after ingestion would make me think food allergy. I've certainly seen that here.

That said, most hives are going to be related to viruses or similar and causes are never actually pinpointed. If they were just randomly appearing and she happened to have peanut at some point that day, I'd think it might be something else. Still, I would see an allergist.

I agree with all the others and would leave peanut trials to the allergist.

Did you do benadryl? Because we always did/do benadryl with hives, I don't know what would happen without. But allergic reactions do subside with time.

Hives type rash very soon after ingestion would make me think food allergy. I've certainly seen that here.

That said, most hives are going to be related to viruses or similar and causes are never actually pinpointed. If they were just randomly appearing and she happened to have peanut at some point that day, I'd think it might be something else. Still, I would see an allergist.

I didn't use Benedryl. I was thinking of it, but because I made a dr's appt, I decided to hold off once I saw it wasn't getting worse, thinking it would be helpful for the dr to see it. Then it went away and I decided to cancel the appt and save the copay for the allergist.

The good news is I got a recommendation for an allergist and I can get appointments within a week or two. At the other places I contacted, I would have to wait two months. I don't want to have to do that if there's any chance it was caused by peanuts.

Also, something else I'd like to mention to the experts: this dd, unlike my other dd's is prone to getting red cheeks. People comment on them. Today I noticed they were very red and she hadn't been outside yet at that point.

My dd was 10mos when she had her reaction to peanut butter. I was making peanut butter cookies and had some on my hands when I had to pick her up after a fall and screaming (daddy was working nights and it was in the middle of the day) She got a rash every where I touched her.  Called the exchange and the stupid on call dr said babies cant be allergic to it her their breast feeding moms are eating it. UM wrong she was off the charts allergic.  The rash went away on its own after a few hours.  That monday morning I called an allergist who wouldnt see her till she was over a year.  She ended up with LOTS of food allergies.

My younger daughter is not allergic to peanuts but there was a time when she was eating a lot of peanut and peanut butter foods for a few days in a row that she started to show symptoms (a rash on her cheeks and torso, gastrointestinal issues).  We pulled all peanut products from her diet for 1 month and then allowed her to once again try them and she did fine.  We now limit how much we allow her to have but she is fine with more normal amounts (one peanut butter cookie, etc).  

I can remember having the same issue with strawberries as a kid.  Juicy juice released a strawberry flavor at the same time the berries were ready for picking in our area.  I spent a miserable few days covered in hives, stayed away from them the rest of the summer and have been fine ever since.

It could be allergy related, then. Hopefully the allergist will test several things and follow up with food trials to confirm/rule out any positives. Remember, food allergy tests have a pretty high rate of false positives. Environmental allergy tests are more accurate, and that might be some of it. It is for my son.

It could be allergy related, then. Hopefully the allergist will test several things and follow up with food trials to confirm/rule out any positives. Remember, food allergy tests have a pretty high rate of false positives. Environmental allergy tests are more accurate, and that might be some of it. It is for my son.

:iagree: 

DS's allergist considers a positive test and symptoms to be a confirmed allergy.  DS's allergy testing came back positive for peanuts, but he eats peanuts and peanut butter regularly without any problems.