Menu

best color pencils...

angelmama1209

I stopped using color pencils and just use the regular 24 pack of Crayola Twistable Crayons SHARPENED. They sharpen with a regular pencil sharpener.

Not only am tired of having tiny stumps left after 15 minutes of continual sharpening and breaking, I am totally OCD about the colors being the colors on the color wheel. Pencils bring too much stress into my life.

If your kids are old enough to appreciate them, the prisms color are truly worth their weight in gold!!! My kids actually guard them like treasures, put them away immediately and take really good care of them. You can save a little money and get almost the same color and feel by getting the newer Prismacolor Scholars. The lead on the scholars is slightly more durable and they cost less.

We really love prismacolor too.... For artsy stuff, that is (like SOTW coloring sheets).

But crayola's erasable colored pencils (that come pre-sharpened w/ an eraser on each pencil) have worked beautifully for adding color to b&w math workbook pages and other worksheets where erasability is needed but color is a motivating bonus. Love them.

Well, you didn't say what you are looking for (pencils that don't break, vivid color?) but right now I'm in love with a pack of Prang colored pencils I picked up for my 4-year-old at Walmart.  They are fat and triangular.  They don't break easily at all, don't roll on the table.  The colors are bright---12 to a pack and that includes silver and gold.  I paid $2.They come with a pencil sharpener, but I use my trusty manual wall-mounted sharpener with adjustable hole with no issues (we've had them a couple of weeks and I've only had to sharpen one).  My older kids are also in love and want their own.

Well, you didn't say what you are looking for (pencils that don't break, vivid color?) but right now I'm in love with a pack of Prang colored pencils I picked up for my 4-year-old at Walmart.  They are fat and triangular.  They don't break easily at all, don't roll on the table.  The colors are bright---12 to a pack and that includes silver and gold.  I paid $2.They come with a pencil sharpener, but I use my trusty manual wall-mounted sharpener with adjustable hole with no issues (we've had them a couple of weeks and I've only had to sharpen one).  My older kids are also in love and want their own.

i've heard that using quality supplies is important for art. i picked up a curric on the free table at our used curric sale that uses color pencils (exclusively i think).

Lyra Color Giants or Lyra Giants. They are worth every penny. Our original set is 5 years old and still going strong even with constant daily use by 5 kids. 

Lyra Giant Ferbys. We use ours daily and have never broken one.

A third vote for these as we're Lyra fans, too. My daughter got her first set in 6th grade; it's shown here. She took them to college and now has them in South Korea where she's teaching English to kindergarteners.

Regards,

Kareni