Menu

Exercise Thread ~ 2/16 - 2/22

Negin

I've only just started swimming for exercise...I'm 50kg overweight, so swimming seemed like a great idea, and much less stress on my body than anything else.  I'm loving it!  Only done 2 sessions so far....1st one I did 8 laps (400m), and 2nd time 14 laps (700m).  It's the only type of workout that I've ever enjoyed.  I can now kind-of see how people can get hooked on this exercise thing. 

I've also started eating Paleo, so altogether feeling great, and hoping to see those kg shed slowly but surely.

Mon: Spooner boarding down sand dunes with DD. It's fun going down and a workout climbing back up to the top. 1.5hrs.

Master swim 1.25hrs.

I plan on another Master Swim workout Wed., swim laps on Fri. for 1hr. and a stroke clinic over the weekend for 2hrs., and if I've got  the time, I want to  do some more spooner boarding with the kid.

Tuesday: Martial arts class.  I found out where my get up and go went- my iron and ferritin levels have hit starving vampire levels.  Now

can try and do something about it.- I wonder if that was also what was slowing my recovery time and making me stay sore longer?

Rieshy, did you get your iron levels checked? Is that how you know?  It would slow down recovery time, so hopefully you will start to feel better soon.

Today was a 4 mile run.  I was hoping to run outside, it was almost 50 out this morning!  But with it was a thunder storm, so I ran on my treadmill again.  I followed it up with some crunches and planks.  I'm aiming for 30 minutes of yoga later today.  I did get in a bit of yin last night, just 25 minutes, but it did feel good. 

Only did 12 laps (600m) today.  But instead of doing my 'head out of the water slow breaststroke', I tried freestyle with a float-board for my arms.  I've hated freestyle ever since I was forced to do it as a kid.  I always got water up my nose.  I bought a nose clip, so hopefully I can learn to do it at the advanced age of 41!

Only did 12 laps (600m) today.  But instead of doing my 'head out of the water slow breaststroke', I tried freestyle with a float-board for my arms.  I've hated freestyle ever since I was forced to do it as a kid.  I always got water up my nose.  I bought a nose clip, so hopefully I can learn to do it at the advanced age of 41!

I've 10 years on you, so yes you can still learn. I am struggling with freestyle and breathing. I just want to pull too soon. Another inexpensive investment you might consider are a pair of swim fins. I just bought these TYR fins. These short fins help build leg muscles. I use them to keep me more buoyant so I and work on my breathing. Careful though. It is easy to hurt yourself, so go easy if you get a pair.

I spent a solid 5 months swimming before joining a masters program. I don't think I would have lasted in the masters program without swimming on my own first. These master workouts (I'm in the slowest group) kick my butt. The benefits of a masters program are a structured workout rather than going lap after lap and coaching. I've improved a lot in the three weeks since I started with the masters swim. The coaching from the deck is invaluable. This is something I can't do on my own since I was never on swim team as a kid. KEEP GOING! 

Ok, catching up. 

Monday- bootcamp plus a 3 mile run after that.  Stretching and 20 minutes of light yoga at home. 

Tuesday- unscheduled rest day.  I woke up at 5:35.  Class starts at 5:30.  I thought "oh, I will go to the later class, no biggie" but that didn't work since my husband was working the AM shift for someone on a trade.  I did some pushups and bicycle crunches at home and some stretching.

Today- bootcamp.  No time for second hour after.  So home.  This afternoon I am taking the boys on a short hike and maybe swimming at the Y tonight.  Depends.  And stretching and yoga here or my bootcamp instructor will some how know I didn't stretch and I will feel the shame, LOL. 

This morning I slept in. I think my get up and go is temporarily gone.

That was my Tuesday morning too.  I just didn't wake up.  I don't recall the alarm at all.  Normally I rouse about 3:45-4:00 on my own and think, oh goodie, I can go back to sleep until the alarm goes off at 4:30.  But yesterday I was a total log. 

This morning I woke up with a start at 5:00 and just booked it like a crazy person to get out of the door. 

Rieshy, did you get your iron levels checked? Is that how you know?  It would slow down recovery time, so hopefully you will start to feel better soon.

I did- it was a 3 month recheck- Waaay too low.  Almost back to as low as when I first started my prescription iron 9 months ago.  So frustrating- I eat super well and off every iron food chart out there.  

Heading out for a 3 mile run in what I hope stays sunshine.

Yoga for Women book - all the moves from the chapter "for women in their 40s". I love this book. A good yoga DVD is better, but the book is really nice and motivating also.

found out where my get up and go went- my iron and ferritin levels have hit starving vampire levels.  Now

can try and do something about it.- I wonder if that was also what was slowing my recovery time and making me stay sore longer?

Hope you feel better soon. 

I am struggling with freestyle and breathing. I just want to pull too soon. 

All I can do is breast stroke, which I love, but I also have an uncomfortable feeling that it may have caused me to have rather broad shoulders. I don't swim much these days, but I have to say that it's my favorite exercise ever. 

Today was kettlebell.  I ran 10 minutes, then did 3 rounds of sumo squats, windmills, and squats.  Short break, then 3 rounds of heavy swings, presses, and planks. Finished with 3 rounds of half TGUs and pull-ups.  I'm also trying something new.  I want to improve my push-ups.  I've always done them on my knees, since I can't keep good form straight.  But now I'm going up on an angle to do them.  I'm using my tub.  So every time I go to the bathroom I do 5 push-ups. :D  I figure I'll get a good number in and it won't take much time.  I plan on doing this 3x's a week; my kettlebell days and Sunday.  I'll see if it helps. 

Thursday- ack, overslept again. So darn annoying when I do that. So I did JM 30Day Shred and stretched. Also, skating. Prob about 1.5 hours. I was there for 2 but sat down for the backwards skate and the speed skates.

Today- bicycle crunches, lunges, squat thrusts and push ups at home. Later on this morning, I am going to meet a friend for a short hike with the kids and I am plotting an extra skate session tonight. Also, I will stretch out this afternoon. ETA: ze plan is in place for the whole family to go skating this evening. Woot.

Today was kettlebell.  I ran 10 minutes, then did 3 rounds of sumo squats, windmills, and squats.  Short break, then 3 rounds of heavy swings, presses, and planks. Finished with 3 rounds of half TGUs and pull-ups.  I'm also trying something new.  I want to improve my push-ups.  I've always done them on my knees, since I can't keep good form straight.  But now I'm going up on an angle to do them.  I'm using my tub.  So every time I go to the bathroom I do 5 push-ups. :D  I figure I'll get a good number in and it won't take much time.  I plan on doing this 3x's a week; my kettlebell days and Sunday.  I'll see if it helps. 

Love the tub pushups. The couch is good too.

Do you wear wrist guards when you kettlebell? I need some because I get bruised on my wrists.

Love the tub pushups. The couch is good too.

Do you wear wrist guards when you kettlebell? I need some because I get bruised on my wrists.

I have wrist guards, but I mostly need them when I do cleans.  Those old wrist sweat bands would work just fine.  I also have gloves, because I hate ripping up my hands.  You're not supposed to use them with kettlebell, but my form is good, and they make a huge difference for my snatch and 1 handed swings.  I have BioGloves??? or maybe BioBody???  You can get them at Dick's. I love them.  

Yoga day!  I did a lovely 90 minute yoga practice with Jason Crandell on YogaGlo.com.  It was a Hatha practice that left me feeling like I had gone to a yoga retreat day.  :)  The rest of me day is going to be spent relaxing. I finished my Murakami book last night, and my head is not ready for a new book, so I'm going to drink my tea and watch the Olympics.  My dh is making me a chocolate and almond ganache cake (which is more calories then I should consume in a day). I think then we'll play Munchkin.

Hi!

I just joined a gym with child care this week. Wish i would have done it last year but alas we didn't have money. Anyways, tuesday, thursday, and friday i did some circuit training and the elliptical. Wednesday and today 1 hour a day of racquetball. I am exausted! And trying to have patience with my body. I wish one week could shrink all of my body fat. Lol. I have about 20 pounds to lose but i have much more fat than muscle compared to before bearing children.

Yoga day!  I did a lovely 90 minute yoga practice with Jason Crandell on YogaGlo.com.  It was a Hatha practice that left me feeling like I had gone to a yoga retreat day.   :)  The rest of me day is going to be spent relaxing. I finished my Murakami book last night, and my head is not ready for a new book, so I'm going to drink my tea and watch the Olympics.  My dh is making me a chocolate and almond ganache cake (which is more calories then I should consume in a day). I think then we'll play Munchkin.

Sounds like a yummy cake. Enjoy.

Munchkin is a game that I don't like playing. I bride my kids to play just about any other game with me.

Sounds like a yummy cake. Enjoy.

Munchkin is a game that I don't like playing. I bride my kids to play just about any other game with me.

I'm getting used to it.  I prefer Catan or Ticket to Ride.  My kids don't like Ticket to Ride, so we haven't played it for a long time. Maybe I could talk them into Catan. :)  The kids are in love with Munchkin.