Menu

What do you cover in social studies for a 2nd grader?

I've recently decided to follow the history cycle from Charlotte Mason Help. So for second grade we will be studying the Middle Ages for world history and the American Revolution for American history. We did a little American history overview for kindergarten and we are doing ancient history this year, so it should work out. I'm also planning on doing Evan Moor Daily Geography.

We don't do "Social Studies" as I feel that is a broad term generally used by schools, and often in elementary, it is really is just social studies, ie community helpers, etc.   We do specifics, ie History, Geography.    We've never sat down and studied community helpers...that's just something that comes across in normal everyday life...though there was some focus when we worked on those things in Cub Scouts.    Anyhoo, are you wanting history advice?  Or something else?

We are a year ahead in the four-year history cycle. We are studying Early Modern for second grade. We are finishing up Medieval Times now and completed Ancients last year. DD has greatly enjoyed all of it.

We also used Evan-Moor Beginning Geography one summer. We will use EM Daily Geography, Grade 2 this summer.

You can see what we've done for history by clicking my blog link in my siggy, if interested.

We did pre-history and ancients this year in World History for 2nd.  For American, we just read D'Aulaire's biographies on Pocahontas, George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, and we are about to start Buffalo Bill.  We'll probably get a couple of more in before the end of the year.  We are wrapping up Paddle to the Sea for geography and will start Tree in the Trail next. 

For 3rd, we'll be finishing up Ancients and working on the Medival period in Word History.  We'll start American History and should get up to the revolution.  For geography, we'll be reading Seabird.

My girls started in public school so got some social studies there, but we do history and geography now that we homeschool.  In public school, they learned about community helpers in 1st if I remember right.  If you do Girl Scouts, its a Brownie badge so you can probably skip it at home for something else.

I guess I used social studies for a general term because I am not sure what to cover.  I feel like we have done US Geography this year.  She also participated last year in World Geography.  I feel like I need to do MORE than just geography.  But, I am not sure where I want to start with her. 

I have some health issues I am addressing and can have very painful days.  I need something that is open and go and doesn't require tons of prep.  Something that allows reading on the couch or in bed if necessary.

Additional suggestions?

I would also recommend Hollings books. We are doing Paddle to the Sea this year for grade 2 and Pagoo for grade 4. I read these to the girls on our bed. They love them :) That is pur geography. For history we have just started SOTW volume 1. It can be used as open and go, just reading on the bed. When feeling up to it, you can add in other activities to enhance the readings.

I would also recommend Hollings books. We are doing Paddle to the Sea this year for grade 2 and Pagoo for grade 4. I read these to the girls on our bed. They love them :) That is pur geography. For history we have just started SOTW volume 1. It can be used as open and go, just reading on the bed. When feeling up to it, you can add in other activities to enhance the readings.

We are using SOTW 1, as well.  We use Usborne Encyclopedia with it.  The girls love love love all the pics.  We use the ipad to google maps and topics brought up in Paddle to the sea such as all the different animals, logging and saw mills, locks, etc...  All of that can be done easily from the bed or couch.  That's where we do it, and I am not even sick. :blushing:

Beautiful Feet Early American History for Primary, maybe? If you don't want to go the four-year cycle route.

http://bfbooks.com/Early-Am-History-Primary-Study-Guide?sc=21&category=-121

Although, I'm sure you could do STOW on the couch...you could skip the crafts.

If there's a coffee table, etc. nearby, your DD could maybe work on some Evan-Moor History Pockets?

http://www.evan-moor.com/search?q=history+pockets&specs=252

I guess I used social studies for a general term because I am not sure what to cover.  I feel like we have done US Geography this year.  She also participated last year in World Geography.  I feel like I need to do MORE than just geography.  But, I am not sure where I want to start with her. 

I have some health issues I am addressing and can have very painful days.  I need something that is open and go and doesn't require tons of prep.  Something that allows reading on the couch or in bed if necessary.

Additional suggestions?

You could just read aloud from the ORIGINAL What Your Grader Needs to Know series, for 1st and 2nd grade.

http://www.thriftbooks.com/viewdetails.aspx?isbn=0385411154

http://www.thriftbooks.com/viewdetails.aspx?isbn=0385411162

If you buy the books from the same seller today, and put in the code "LOVE" you will get $1.00 off the second book. Shipping is free. You should be able to get both books for about $7.00.

The ORIGINAL series did a complete American History cycle in grades 1 and 2 and started a 6 year world history and geography cycle. I like to supplement the NtK socials studies with the Everything You need to Know about Homework series for grades 3 and up.

http://www.thriftbooks.com/viewdetails.aspx?isbn=0590493639

You can supplement the NtK readings, or you can just let them be enough, and then read ANYTHING you have right NOW about ANYTHING, because you DID do social studies already.

We also don't "do" social studies. My second graders studied history, with some corresponding geography mixed in.

If you're looking for help on basic citizenship and community stuff, check out a Cub Scout handbook (Wolf level is 2nd grade). Libraries and thrift shops have them all the time.

We also don't "do" social studies. My second graders studied history, with some corresponding geography mixed in.

If you're looking for help on basic citizenship and community stuff, check out a Cub Scout handbook (Wolf level is 2nd grade). Libraries and thrift shops have them all the time.

Thanks!

The handbooks are free pdfs here.

http://cubscoutideas.com/930/cub-scout-books-online/

Honestly, I'd probably do something very simple like looking at different countries/cultures, etc.  Nice if you have a connection, so you're Great Grandma came over from France, let's try and find it.  Then maybe read Le Petit Prince or Madeline or something. Sing Allouette or Frere Jacque.   Have a croissant, etc.

Then either continue with Europe, or do something else that interests her or based on a book you've read, etc.

I'd also include talking about various holidays, President's day, MLK Jr day, as part of social studies.

I'd make sure that she knows her phone number, address, etc.  In Waldorf third grade (I think it was third grade), you start by making a map of your room…then your house…then your neighborhood.  So you look at the environment where you live.

The Evan Moore Daily Geography books are also well liked. They have them for each grade.

I don't think it needs to be very formal or even a real curriculum at that stage.

Oh…and review the states and capitals so she doesn't lose them.

Story of the World (you can get the audio CD's if she's not able to read it independently yet).

DS is really enjoying the stories from Memoria Press' "Famous Men of Greece" and "Famous Men of Rome" (we're in ancients this year) so we're going to be continuing on with the "Famous Men of the Middle Ages" and "Famous Men of Modern Times" books to complement the later volumes of SOTW. Greenleaf sells a "Famous Men of Renaissance & Reformation" book but we're Catholic so we're skipping that one.

The 4 Year History Rotation was important to us, so we do Story of the World (SOTW) books 1-4 by Bauer in the early elementary years, beginning when they were 6 because it's history, not that fuzzy, disjointed and unsystematic thing some schools call "social studies."

When it came to community helpers and that kind of thing we covered it in the preschool/kindergarten years by answering questions the kids had, reading lovely picture books and doing simple crafts that included that kind of material. We address holidays as they come up for cultural awareness, but don't spend much school time on them.

If you're going to do the 4 Year History Rotation, start with SOTW 1: The Ancients or something comparable.  I use what's now called Map Trek by Terri Johnson to do geography that directly corresponds to History. We use the SOTW Activity Guides in addition to those for living book supplements and hands on activities.

I was all excited because I have such a thing from a book sale, but.... it's all crafts! Oh well

Social studies to me is more than just Geography and History - for me it is about how people live. So, yes we do do Geography (at the moment though we are reading A Life Like Mine and looking up the countries involved and speaking about why things are the way there are there - which includes landforms and biomes etc)

For History we are using SOTW2.

However for Social Studies itself we also discuss how other people should be treated and where I live there are a lot of different cultures who have different beliefs and customs so this comes into it too. But even just how to deal with difficult people or friends who hurt us can all be seen as part of social studies.

Social studies includes how things function (so trips to the library, post office, police station, grocery stores, a farm, a hospital, the dentist etc is also all part of Social studies. And then we might mention how it differs in different parts of the world and different life circumstances. We do also discuss holidays and because American culture is so pervasive we mention which of their holidays we celebrate and don't celebrate and why - the same with some of the British ones that land up invading our culture that make no sense here either - its all part of history so they might as well learn it.

We don't do "Social Studies" as I feel that is a broad term generally used by schools, and often in elementary, it is really is just social studies, ie community helpers, etc.   We do specifics, ie History, Geography.    We've never sat down and studied community helpers...that's just something that comes across in normal everyday life...though there was some focus when we worked on those things in Cub Scouts.    Anyhoo, are you wanting history advice?  Or something else?

I agree. I don't like and do not teach Social Studies. I like to teach history and Geography as well. Any of the "social" things like the people, their culture, and the like get studied right along with the history of the area. 

I used SOTW with my oldest for history and geography (no "social studies"). It's pretty open and go. I didn't do the activities, as I'm not a project mom.

My current first grader will be studying Ancient history next year in 2nd grade (TOG Y1). Either way, it's reading aloud on the couch, plus getting some library books to read. Do a bit of map work. Done.

Second grade history shouldn't be difficult for Mom. Even going to the library and getting random history related books would be fine.

I'll likely continue Ancients with my 2nd grader. He wasn't really into listening to SOTW aloud this time around, so I'll continue that into next as well. I also like to do some simple American History along with the world history. Usually just reading aloud good books and bios about various US history topics is enough at this age. He enjoys documentaries and will usually watch anything with me

Continue learning states geography and working in our continent boxes. http://www.pinterest.com/brobeejane/continent-boxes/

I think at this age, history ought to be kept as fun and light hearted as possible.

Many of us include cultural studies into History (I'm not clear on how someone would do history without addressing the cultures to some degree) so it's not categorically either or.  I specifically group the readings in SOTW by region rather than following the strict chronology to give my kids a stronger, more separate sense of cultures, but I think anyone using the suggested living books in the accompanying Activity Guide or other similar books is still accomplishing this even if they're following the written sequence in SOTW.

Getting along with others is covered in our life skills and relationships daily readings.  Currently we're going through The Unwritten Rules of Friendship right now as an example. 

We're doing states and capitals and following dd's lead. She memorized the capitals long ago but still insists on reviewing them everyday. We're also adding other geographical information about the US: the Great Lakes, mountains, deserts, rivers, regions. She's read different books about the states that focus on general information and interesting facts. Sometimes we watch videos, which I like more than she does. I should be reading a book a month on a famous American in history but I'm not really doing that regularly, because of a certain persons lack of interest. 

Shepherds Software, free online, has games to match states and capitals, BTW.

We do some world geography, too, like the oceans, continents, capitals and major cities of nations. She just loves looking at maps, so anytime anything comes up in the different things we do, we always look it up on our maps or the internet.

I like the idea of getting into world history but right now she's a bit obsessed with geography, so I'm taking advantage of it while I can. :)

I love social studies. Back in the 90s my younger son did the OLD Christian Light 7th grade overview of social studies and I just loved that set of worktexts. Anthropology, archeology, sociology, psychology, geography, civics, history, human rights–I love them all.

hiSTORY is my least favorite. I like my fiction served up as fiction. hiSTORY drives me nuts. It's like the emperor not wearing any clothes. Everyone is pretending their favorite story is THE story. I like history if I can serve it up alongside all the other stories as just another story, but that seems to anger a lot of people and make them say all sorts of uncomfortable things to me.

I serve up quite a bit of history with the rest of my social studies just for kicks and giggles and as an attempt at cultural literacy. I don't take it too seriously, though. Geography is my favorite social science to attempt to take seriously.

You do some really neat stuff. Love the continent boxes and sensory tubs!

I don't know how you're not completely exhausted (and broke). LOL!! Really wish I would have known about all of this when DD was a pre.

I'll likely continue Ancients with my 2nd grader. He wasn't really into listening to SOTW aloud this time around, so I'll continue that into next as well. I also like to do some simple American History along with the world history. Usually just reading aloud good books and bios about various US history topics is enough at this age. He enjoys documentaries and will usually watch anything with me

Continue learning states geography and working in our continent boxes. http://www.pinterest.com/brobeejane/continent-boxes/

I think at this age, history ought to be kept as fun and light hearted as possible.

DD is in 2nd grade right now and we are studying Early American History.  To do it, we are reading lots of good books like the D'Aulaire books on Pocahontas, George Washington, and Ben Franklin along with lots of others.  We are doing lapbooks to go with them and some map work.  We're also watching Liberty's Kids every school day. We're in the midst of the American Revolution right now.

You do some really neat stuff. Love the continent boxes and sensory tubs!

I don't know how you're not completely exhausted (and broke). LOL!! Really wish I would have known about all of this when DD was a pre.

I'm most definitely not exhausted or broke. LOL (well I am both those things at times...but not because of geography!!!) ;)

That's not my pinterest board, just one I reference quite a bit. There's links to free printables or DIY games there (and available everywhere with a simple search)

If anyone is interested I'll explain how I do continent boxes. It's an ongoing thing. The boxes are always evolving and things being changed. My kids love them and I hope to keep them for some time. 

We've decorated seven small boxes. A mixture of kid sized shoe boxes and smallish Amazon boxes. (I've been wanting to upgrade to nice picture storage boxes so they are uniform in size---but these are still holding up well) And I've wanted to make sensory globes forever (painted and sandpaper Montessori style) but I never do get around to that particular mess...I'm happy with a regular globe.

We have map work in each one, printed from here. http://www.shop.montessoriprintshop.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=continent+map

There's a color coded map of the world with labels. I simply printed and fixed the labels onto toothpicks and the map is glued onto a Styrofoam block. My little ones can stick in the labels over the continents and oceans again and again. There's a laminated continents of the world booklet (from the same print shop). I haven't made pin flags yet but I want to do that next.

In the boxes themselves there's individual maps showing different animals of that area with control cards to match. Most of the boxes have animals in them (Safari Toobs or toys found at Dollar Stores etc). I have several master printables of each map that they can color and a lands form booklet. We have done quite a bit land forms activities. Just handmade and using materials around the house. I use the library to find a nonfiction geography book and a folktale from each place. 

Most of the printable material comes from the Print Shop. Or from freebies found on blogs. I have a three-part card obsession. 

I keep card parts together and organized by folding construction paper into envelopes and booklets that the cards can be stored in. 

Whenever we find anything that represents the continent I store it in each box. I usually rotate things. 

Just some of the actual items in our boxes that the kids can touch..a piece of labradorite from madagascar, a small shiva, coins from around the world, some euros, a 10 rupee note, various stamps, an Asian fan, prayer flags, penguin toy, toy animals from each continent, a toy boomerang, small rhythm instruments, some S. American inspired woolens, some Danish Christmas hearts..

The point is not to fill the boxes and then teach a lesson. Start small. There should be a few items that the kids can hold and touch (the hardest part of them really).The world map and a globe nearby and some puzzles to start and then slowly begin to fill your box with whatever you can find. Maps and a book are essential and it's essential to try to get a hands on in each box, even if it's just simply a craft activity. I haven't found an item for every place yet, that's where the three part cards or other printables come into play.

The boxes are introduced so the kids know the concept and then left for the kids to explore on their own. I introduced one box at a time and then over time as I find something interesting I add it in and introduce that again. It's a very unschooly way to learn  basic geography. Sort of like having 7 small geography toy boxes, except I do try to teach my kids to respect them and treat them well.

No fortune being spent I promise. I'm really only out the cost of printer paper and ink and craft supplies and the occasional PrintShop download. The items are things I either already had or were found in consignment. (My father was a coin collector so I lucked out on that point).

I only have one sensory tub stored in my kitchen cabinet  that I change up every now and then. It was helpful in entertaining my dd when she was younger, but interest has waned in that area. We haven't done any sensory tub play in a very long time. (well unless I count the box of packing peanuts full of chocolate and glow sticks a friend recently sent LOL)

Really the idea of continent boxes can be as expensive or elaborate as you want, or as simple and DIY as you want. This is something I've come to enjoy as a "just because" activity more than a homeschool covering a particular subject activity, kwim?

Thanks for the info! My DD would love something like this. I know she would love Montessori, in general. She's very touchy feely...sensory-oriented. And, loves to play! I should look into this kind of thing. It would be extra learning she could do on her own time.

I put together over-sized Ziploc bags of goodies for her once. They were bat-themed. It was soooooo much work. They had a lot of hands-on activities in them...most of which I printed and assembled (i.e. cookie sheet games, clothespin cards). I also did something similar for holidays, but in just one bag. Haven't done it for a while now. I need to revisit the idea now that she is reading better. Montessori-style would be even better for her, I think.

easter-just-for-fun-1.jpg  easter-just-for-fun-2.jpg

I'm most definitely not exhausted or broke. LOL (well I am both those things at times...but not because of geography!!!) ;)

That's not my pinterest board, just one I reference quite a bit. There's links to free printables or DIY games there (and available everywhere with a simple search)

If anyone is interested I'll explain how I do continent boxes. It's an ongoing thing. The boxes are always evolving and things being changed. My kids love them and I hope to keep them for some time. 

We've decorated seven small boxes. A mixture of kid sized shoe boxes and smallish Amazon boxes. (I've been wanting to upgrade to nice picture storage boxes so they are uniform in size---but these are still holding up well) And I've wanted to make sensory globes forever (painted and sandpaper Montessori style) but I never do get around to that particular mess...I'm happy with a regular globe.

We have map work in each one, printed from here. http://www.shop.montessoriprintshop.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=continent+map

There's a color coded map of the world with labels. I simply printed and fixed the labels onto toothpicks and the map is glued onto a Styrofoam block. My little ones can stick in the labels over the continents and oceans again and again. There's a laminated continents of the world booklet (from the same print shop). I haven't made pin flags yet but I want to do that next.

In the boxes themselves there's individual maps showing different animals of that area with control cards to match. Most of the boxes have animals in them (Safari Toobs or toys found at Dollar Stores etc). I have several master printables of each map that they can color and a lands form booklet. We have done quite a bit land forms activities. Just handmade and using materials around the house. I use the library to find a nonfiction geography book and a folktale from each place. 

Most of the printable material comes from the Print Shop. Or from freebies found on blogs. I have a three-part card obsession. 

I keep card parts together and organized by folding construction paper into envelopes and booklets that the cards can be stored in. 

Whenever we find anything that represents the continent I store it in each box. I usually rotate things. 

Just some of the actual items in our boxes that the kids can touch..a piece of labradorite from madagascar, a small shiva, coins from around the world, some euros, a 10 rupee note, various stamps, an Asian fan, prayer flags, penguin toy, toy animals from each continent, a toy boomerang, small rhythm instruments, some S. American inspired woolens, some Danish Christmas hearts..

The point is not to fill the boxes and then teach a lesson. Start small. There should be a few items that the kids can hold and touch (the hardest part of them really).The world map and a globe nearby and some puzzles to start and then slowly begin to fill your box with whatever you can find. Maps and a book are essential and it's essential to try to get a hands on in each box, even if it's just simply a craft activity. I haven't found an item for every place yet, that's where the three part cards or other printables come into play.

The boxes are introduced so the kids know the concept and then left for the kids to explore on their own. I introduced one box at a time and then over time as I find something interesting I add it in and introduce that again. It's a very unschooly way to learn  basic geography. Sort of like having 7 small geography toy boxes, except I do try to teach my kids to respect them and treat them well.

No fortune being spent I promise. I'm really only out the cost of printer paper and ink and craft supplies and the occasional PrintShop download. The items are things I either already had or were found in consignment. (My father was a coin collector so I lucked out on that point).

I only have one sensory tub stored in my kitchen cabinet  that I change up every now and then. It was helpful in entertaining my dd when she was younger, but interest has waned in that area. We haven't done any sensory tub play in a very long time. (well unless I count the box of packing peanuts full of chocolate and glow sticks a friend recently sent LOL)

Really the idea of continent boxes can be as expensive or elaborate as you want, or as simple and DIY as you want. This is something I've come to enjoy as a "just because" activity more than a homeschool covering a particular subject activity, kwim?

Thanks for the info! My DD would love something like this. I know she would love Montessori, in general. She's very touchy feely...sensory-oriented. And, loves to play! I should look into this kind of thing. It would be extra learning she could do on her own time.

I put together over-sized Ziploc bags of goodies for her once. They were bat-themed. It was soooooo much work. They had a lot of hands-on activities in them...most of which I printed and assembled (i.e. cookie sheet games, clothespin cards). I also did something similar for holidays, but in just one bag. Haven't done it for a while now. I need to revisit the idea now that she is reading better. Montessori-style would be even better for her, I think.

easter-just-for-fun-1.jpg  easter-just-for-fun-2.jpg

I don't want to derail this thread too much, but I think Montessori is wonderful for younger kids. And you don't have to go "all Mont or else" or do expensive "Mont certifications" or "buy the correct Mont materials."

Nothing drives me crazier than people who feel they can't do Montessori unless....fill in the blanks. 

There is so so so much available on the web to search and give you a Montessori flavor to your days. I pick and choose without shame. ;)

I made a few busy bags similar to what you posted for my dd when she was younger. It does take work. Although mine were for a toddler and didn't have the little things like I see in your pic. 

But to get back to the social studies aspect of this thread, the continent boxes were really very easy to get started up. 

Could someone give me an idea of how one of these continent boxes could work for an older child? I have an 11 year old who LOVES things like this! 

http://montessoricompass.com/geography

You're making me think here

This is the best resource I know of to give a detailed scope and sequence of the various subjects in a Montessori classroom. You would have to scroll down to get to the areas for older students.

With an older child the maps would be more detailed (learning individual countries of Africa, Europe etc), and possibly even using flag pins to help learn them. Flag printables for each continent are available at Montessori Print Shop. An older child could do more research into various continents (animals, habitats, people, culture etc.) I'd like to do the country flags, but we're in US history this year and still working on learning capitals and some brief state history. I imagine doing a year of cultural/physical geography, which I've wanted to do, would make these resources relevant.

Also I imagine (my oldest hasn't really worked with the boxes in the same way my youngers have...ours are more aligned to learning continents and oceans, which he is beyond) that the crafts and items involved could be more advanced. Maybe...align each box to the history studies? I haven't really given this much thought because our history studies are separate than these boxes, which I approach from a more preschool-1st grade frame of mind. 

It would make sense to add, say, Egyptian inspired things in the Africa box. I've just never taken it to that level. I've been googling for awhile, and I can't find anything that details how (or even if) a Montessori school would use the continent boxes in the higher elementary stages. 

Doesn't mean you couldn't do something like that though.

Do it Susan...and then teach me how! ;)