Menu

Help to Analyze a Possible Allergy

bolt.

DD6 is experiencing nausea (including little heave actions, but no vomit) and a feeling she identifies in her throat. She gets this immediately after breakfast on certain days -- I think she is allergic to a breakfast food.

What she had today:

Cocoa flavour mini wheats

Milk: 1% organic (on the cereal)

Strawberries

Yougurt: Greek style, lime flavour

This has been recent -- or recently to the point of heaving. I might have been dismissive of (possible) earlier complaints (?) but all of those foods are quite common for us.

The lime flavour in the yogurt is new to us, but the yogurt itself is common. We haven't had the mini wheats in a while, but we have had them many times before this box. The strawberries were child-washed, so maybe they have something on them still?

Any ideas? I'm at a loss except to try each food individually and watch for the reaction. But, honestly, with the 'throat feeling' compliant, it sounds like this borders on anaphylactic... Do I want to do my own trials?

Do you think I should give her allergy liquid now and see if it helps?

Is it possible that this is a sick feeling but not a food allergy?

The symptoms start before I would be giving her vitamins -- and I don't give them on the days that this has happened.

Food journal is a good idea.

How do I recognize real symptoms with a very suggestible child? The heaves I can see, but I can't really trust her answer to a general question about how her tummy feels.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss except to try each food individually and watch for the reaction. But, honestly, with the 'throat feeling' compliant, it sounds like this borders on anaphylactic... Do I want to do my own trials?

Do you think I should give her allergy liquid now and see if it helps?

That would make me nervous, too.  I would be most concerned about the new foods, but allergies can develop at any time.  If you are worried about anaphylaxis, conducting one's own trials is risky.  :(  Can you get to an allergist?  Throat involvement plus vomiting... Yikes.  

I would give her the allergy liquid now, but please keep in mind that allergy liquid will not stop anaphylaxis.  Watch her carefully.

We have had several mild cases of anaphylaxis here lately, and we lucked out.  Truly.  We did not epi, but went with allergy liquid and inhaler puffs.  In hindsight, and discussing with allergist, we should have epi'ed.  We were lucky.

It's hard. My ds has many allergies, and even though his self reporting is generally good, there are often times we can't be sure what is causing his reaction, or if his symptoms are really a reaction. Does she eat the same exact breakfast everyday? I second the suggestion of a food diary. It's really the only way to narrow it down.

I would have her eat the exact same thing for breakfast for several days (preferably stuff you remember she hasn't reacted to recently) and see if it goes away.  The first sign of my growing lactose issues was the inability to consume dairy first thing in the morning.

To make it easier, narrow down your breakfast selections.  If the complaints came before the lime flavor, look to something else.  If the complaints came before the strawberries...

Oral allergy syndrome will often react to fruits in general.  But with stomach involvement, it may be more.  It could be a new development- DH developed anaphylaxis to seafood at 40 yrs old!  Here the leading culprit would be dairy. The yogurt may be carrying more of the protein and thus hitting the level necessary to trigger the reaction.   People react to two different proteins in dairy, casein and whey.  Heating may denature the protein enough to not cause a reaction so that a person could tolerate dairy in a cake for example, but not a glass of milk. The same is true of eggs. Though it is wisest to avoid the food altogether once diagnosed, IMO. 

At this point for your DD, I'd seek allergy testing to narrow down the possibilities.  My DS had eczema and GI issues that left his allergies unidentified for quite some time.  As he grew older, the eczema issues faded, but were replaced with anaphylactic reactions.  Not the best trade. :(  Your DD could have had a "mild" allergy all along that is just now become more dangerous.  Better to know now and take action.  KWIM? 

I have food allergies. What you described could be, but.... Is it possible that your daughter could have reflux? My daughter has problems with it. It makes her tummy sick and her throat bothersome (acid). Milk, strawberries and yogurt are all very acidic and could aggravate reflux. Could she be eating a bit too much? That can cause reflux as well. Cereal, yogurt, strawberries and milk might not be a lot or an adult, but it very well could be for a six year old.

For the record, my food allergies start with very severe stomach pain (think doubled over labor pains), heart racing, burning up temp, and finally throat swelling. If I take liquid benadryl immediately, I can sometimes keep from taking my epipen. Even after it's controlled, my stomach kills me for 2-3 hrs after usually . I know not everyone has such severe reactions, but I think many anaphalactic reactions do.