Menu

Looking for interesting easy course to satisfy 1 credit high school World History.

• 1 month later...

Definitely. Christian Light has a World History course. My daughter wanted an easy history credit with little reading.  She didn't care about history (which about killed me, since we spent her entire school life reading hundreds of read alouds, mostly for history!).  She used Notgrass the year before and it completely killed any interest she ever had. There was a lot of reading, endless reading that she found horribly tedious and boring.

There are ten "units"  that make up one credit of CLE over the course of the year, so you're looking at one unit per every three weeks or so. The student reads through ~2-3 pages of simple text and answers questions/quizzes at the end. There are also books assigned, typical of what you would see on any school reading list.  If you call CLE, they will send you a sample unit to help you decide.  My daughter appreciated the reading, quick, easy and to the point.  Her purpose was to gain the credit, nothing more. 

I picked a history text and went through it, picking out key concepts, figures, events, and general dates that I thought everyone should know. My son reads the text, writes short papers, watches some supplemental videos, and mades up flash cards for each chapter based on those key things I picked out. I quizz him on those new flash cards, plus pick several from past chapters after each chapter. He reviews all the cards in preparation, so he gets constant review. I will ask him all of them for his final.

He may never take another world history class, so I wanted him to be clear on the basic, important stuff. Who was Julius Caesar? Who were the sides in WWI? Roughly when were the Middle Ages? Like I said, basic stuff, but for a kid who has little interest in history and some trouble with long term memory, I'm pleased with what he's learned. I was tired of being shocked hearing things like, "Was England an enemy in WWII?" even after going through SOTW and listening to the audio over and over when he was younger.

I plan on doing something similar for American History next year.