Menu

Math Survey

My dd7 does not skip any problems, but when ds11 was doing SM and MM, the pace of skipping increased at higher levels. For new concepts (particularly long division), we spent more time on lessons and practice to solidify the algorithm. Incremental lessons (place value, calendar, large number multiplication/addition, etc.) were often skimmed or skipped after a concept check.

DS11: Currently, AoPS Pre-Algebra all the end of section and chapter review problems. He has done all the challenge problems thus far, but I'm assigning a selection going forward.

His background:

2.5 years PS Every Day math

Singapore Primary Mathematics 2A-4B HIG, textbook, workbook, and CWP-some skipping of workbook and CWP problems when he understood the concept. All challenge CWP problems.

Math Mammoth 4A-5B-Depending on the concept, skipped select lessons (MM can be very incremental). Most lessons, first section done on white board together. Selection of problems from latter part of lesson, picked for complexity. Rarely skipped word problems. A few 6A/6B lessons.

Supplements: Miquon, Beast Academy 3A & 3B, Zaccaro's Primary Grade Challenge Math, various problems assigned by me as needed

DD7: Currently, MM2B-all problems as she needs the practice.

Her background:

Singapore Earlybird (not recommended)

Singapore Primary Mathematics 1A-1B HIG, textbook, and workbook

Math Mammoth 1A-2B

Supplements: SM CWP and Miquon

My oldest uses Saxon 6/7 and we skip some lessons if he already knows the material. If there are numerous problems in the practice that are of the same type, and I know he has it down pat, I often only have him do one or two of those questions. Right now he is working through the Simply Charlotte Mason Pet Store Math. He does everything in that. It's not really the type of thing you can skip questions in. He also does LOF once a week and does all the questions in that.

My dd is using MM and we will only skip questions if she is doing something that she has already mastered. Her last little while has been geometry and she can't be skipping anything there as it's a weak area. She also does LOF once a week and doesn't skip anything with that.

My youngest ds is using MM and we have skipped LOTS. Mostly because he already knows it and is getting annoyed at having to do so many problems with something he has already mastered. He does LOF daily and doesn't skip any of it.

Currently my 6th and 4th graders are doing Khan Academy and Life of Fred, to equal at least 40 minutes per day. With LoF they do all the problems (there aren't many). Khan is set up differently, so they have a time limit rather than a number of problems to do. 

My 3rd grader is doing LoF and supplementing with IXL.com. 

For K, 1st and 2nd I've used Saxon and done all the problems. I would still use it if I had time, but I can't teach math 3 hours per day. 

dd6

MM1A

• Every single problem and she can only handle about a page a day right now so it is going really, really slowly and we are probably going to repeat chapter 2. :(

My dd had to repeat two first grade math programs (SM and MM). Even after SM1A&B, we went really slowly through MM1A&B. She just needed a bit more time to process the concepts. MM2 has gone a bit faster, but we may hang out a bit in 2-level math (I have SM2, Miquon Blue and Green, and MEP Year 2) to help solidify her understanding.

Oldest did Saxon (54 - AlgebraII) and Singapore 3rd ed. (4a-6b) then attended CC for higher levels.

DD1 started with Saxon/Singapore combo like older brother was using, wasn't a good fit. Switched to MUS. Used MUS through Algebra I, then started public highschool in grade 9. Also did LOF Fractions through Beginning Algebra.

DD2 started with MUS because that's what older sis was using. MUS did.not.stick. with her. Switched her to Saxon, also not a good fit but we stuck with it, going slowly. This year we're using a combo of TT 7, which she uses independently and Oak Meadow Math which we do together. We will complete both the grade 6 and 7 books. She is finally understanding her math. It's been a long road. I don't know if it's the combination of materials or just that the maturity is finally there.

DS2 started in MUS but I switched him to Singapore after he completed Beta/Gamma. He is currently using Sinagpore 3rd ed. texts & US ed. workbooks, along with LOF. He mostly has used the entire series, so 2A/B-5B (he just finished 5B) and Apples - Decimals & Percents. It just so happens that Monday he'll be starting 6A and LOF Physics. We do Singapore together and he does LOF independently. We also use the Challenging Word Problem Books. I "think" that when he finishes 6B that we'll start AOPS Intro. To Algebra. I'd like to do AOPS Pre-Algebra but I'm loathe to add another program when he's already doing two. He did Beast Academy 3A & B, but they just weren't being published fast enough.

DS3 never used MUS. Until this past December he was using a Singapore/Math Mammoth combo as well as LOF. He really found them (S & MM) boring. He LOVES the Singapore Challenging Word Problem Books though. We've just started Beast Academy in January and he said "Finally, a math book that makes me think!" :) Atm we're only using Beast 3A, LOF Honey, and CWP 3.

Eta - I have always picked and chosen problems depending on how fast/well they get a concept, except for DD2. She's always needed to do all the problems.

I don't allow skipping. I do allow verbal answers though. We use or have used Singapore, EPGY, LoF, AoPS, Rogawski. One kid has many levels going at the same time, but still has to do it all. Youngest needs more reinforcement so he has to do more -Singapore text, workbook, IP and CWP. Oldest has dyslexia that ensures he will never have a mistake free paper. He has to show every step. I'm mean like that.

I am currently using Derek Owens Geometry with my younger son which assigns problems from Jacobs Geometry 3rd edition.  At this point (four chapters away from the end) I am having my son do very few of the assigned problems in the third edition in favor of doing problems I select from the 2nd edition.  I really, really don't like the 3rd edition.

When we used Jacobs Algebra, I had my older son do all of Set I and then all of either Set II or III (so as it was intended to be used).

When we used Lial's Intermediate Algebra I had my older son do selected problems based on what he was needing to focus on.  We had switched from another program so he needed less practice with the stuff he had already learned.

When we used Primary Mathematics, I had my younger son do most of the textbook problems unless he could demonstrate to me that he already knew whatever it was.  We didn't use the workbook beyond level 3 or so.

When we used MUS I would have my older son do all of a worksheet but we would often skip entire worksheets if he didn't need the practice (this is how it is intended to be used).

When we used Saxon, I hand picked ten or so problems from each problem set.  This was because my older son was unable to do more than that and we were accelerating (two lessons per day) at the same time.  This was a mistake!  Saxon's strength is in all that repetition and when you get rid of the repetition all you're left with is a mediocre math program.  I should have had him do every other problem set in its entirety (as recommended by the publisher).  Oh well.  He's somehow able to do calculus now, so I guess it worked out.

I use Singapore PM as a spine. We eventually do most of the problems in the workbook, but not all. We also do a lot of "life" math. I grab opportunities to use the stuff we are working on in Singapore. We also read Life of Fred when we are intensely focussed on another topic. (My daughter is ahead in math but really needs to work on reading right now, so we are on break from Singapore for a month or so.)

• 2 weeks later...

Life of Fred & Jousting Armadillos for the oldest, Life of Fred & Zaccaro Primary Challenge Math for the youngest. Yes, they do all the problems. Generally, ds does 3 days of Fred and then one of JA, .

Momto2cs, can you tell me more about the lof and ja combination? My 6th grader has been using aops prealgebra, and she loved the challenge, but it confused her more than anything! She is currently using systematic mathematics DVDs, which she enjoys and is learning a lot from, but she LOVES lof. I've wondered if adding ja would be a good fit or overkill. Also, how do they line up together?

Thanks in advance!

We use MUS. I make younger dd (Kindy in Primer) do all the problems. 2 sections a day, so a lesson takes 3 days. She will hit Alpha next week.

With older dd, She does at least 2 sections of the lesson. Sometimes I will have her do part of a review section too just to keep the other ideas fresh. We stalled out in Alpha at the beginning of the year and just drilled the addition facts. Once I felt she had them memorized better we moved on. She has now buzzed through half of Beta in short order.