Menu

The joy of rereading PatrickO'Brian novels

ScoutTN

I read all of the Aubrey/Maturin novels years ago and I have many of them. I am a big re-reader but somehow haven't gotten back to these until now. So fun. New vocabulary words for me! Hints at future plot elements and character details that I never could have noticed the first time through.

Any other fans out there?

Word of the day: nacreous. 

My husband, who typically reads only non-fiction, loves this series.  He's read it three times through now over the course of some twenty years.  Initially he was having to wait for the books to be published since he started in about 1992.  I saw the recommendation for the series in the old Common Reader catalog.

Regards,

Kareni

I read all of the Aubrey/Maturin novels years ago and I have many of them. I am a big re-reader but somehow haven't gotten back to these until now. So fun. New vocabulary words for me! Hints at future plot elements and character details that I never could have noticed the first time through.

Any other fans out there?

Word of the day: nacreous. 

Oh yeah? I see your nacreous and raise you a crapulous.  ;)

Me!!! I'm a BIG fan of POB.  I have read up to #14 in the series but am also listening to the ones I have read so it's kind of like reading them twice. :)

I haven't heard the audiobooks yet. Something else to look forward to! I think our library has some of them. Who is the narrator? Where did you get yours? Audible?

Oh yeah? I see your nacreous and raise you a crapulous.  ;)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

You've got me beaten. No better word than that today. But tomorrow is another day and I will get to read tonight after my kids go to bed.  :D

We need a smiley reading a book!

Hey Mothersweets! Match this!? 

argosy

delectation

solomongundy

tumefaction

I guess because the characters and writing style are familiar, but I am reading through these so, so quickly compared to the first time. Especially considering that I'm 10+ years older and I'm wiped out after a day of homeschooling in a way I rarely was after work. 

I haven't heard the audiobooks yet. Something else to look forward to! I think our library has some of them. Who is the narrator? Where did you get yours? Audible?

Yes, I joined Audible and got the "1 credit per month for $14.99" deal. So I download one each month - it works out to be a pretty good deal as most of them are $20 or more.

I listen to the version done by Patrick Tull. His narration is excellent. Listening to him adds a whole new layer to the books for me.

Hey Mothersweets! Match this!? 

argosy

delectation

solomongundy

tumefaction

I guess because the characters and writing style are familiar, but I am reading through these so, so quickly compared to the first time. Especially considering that I'm 10+ years older and I'm wiped out after a day of homeschooling in a way I rarely was after work. 

Ooooh, nice!!  I knew solomongundy was some kind of food but the others I had to look up. Isn't POB great?  Have you seen these quizzes? Lots of fun. :)

http://exlibrismagnis.blogspot.com/2012/08/increase-your-word-power-with-patrick.html

and

http://exlibrismagnis.blogspot.com/2013/06/increase-your-word-power-with-patrick.html

Wow, those quizzes are hard! I got 5/10 on the first one but only 6/20 on the second (and one of those was a repeat!).

And I got a perfect score on the vocab sections of the SAT, twice! Haha! POB puts them to shame. 

Do you think anyone ever uses any of those words anymore? Did they really use them in the late 18th/early 19th century?