Menu

FIAR -vs- SOTW for kindergarten

AimeeM

For a non-crafty kind of kid. As in, he likes crafts - when they're done, but won't participate in making them... he leaves that to mom :P

I love the idea of FIAR for literature based history, science, geography (the tie-ins), but I'm not sure how much they rely on crafts, or if we'd be better off with SOTW and the coloring pages from the activity book (and light narration).

My son does not love crafts.  We are working through FIAR1 and most of what we've done has been fun.  I don't love FIAR and wish there were other options (see my other post on this subject).  But it works.  We've worked through the free fold n learns (but using them as worksheets) -- available on the FIAR blog if you register.  The most enjoyable part of the curriculum has been the videos I've dug up for them (pinterest, googling).   Occasionally I find an online printable that he would enjoy (paper airplane for Glorious Flight, juggling monkey for Clown of God).  

We are doing SOTW2 with my older DD and my son tags along.  He likes some of the coloring, but the material is more advanced for him.  If you aren't doing STOW for your older children, I would probably choose FIAR over SOTW.  

FAIR is MUCH more appropriate for a kid in K. You do not have to do lapbooks!

I have bright 6 and 9 year olds, and although the 6 year old listens, the 9 year old is engrossed by SOTW. I tried it when he was around 6, but gave up after a while. This year has been extraordinary - we have finally found our happy place. 

You may also like the look of Memoria Press Kindergarten enrichment.  They do a similar picture book of the week theme, then tie the picture book into multiple disciplines appropriate for a young age.

We have really enjoyed the Jr. K level.

http://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/kindergarten-enrichment

I was actually considering using MP's kindergarten box, but I would be subbing out phonics, math, and religion/bible... so I wasn't sure if it was worth it.

I wouldn't use SOTW with a kindergartner....it was pretty much over my first graders head...

I began SOTW volume 1 with my DD3 at age 6.75 (beginning of 2nd grade). She read very early and is now accelerated across the board. I can't imagine starting earlier and expecting the child to understand/remember much of it. Based on how well it has gone, I'll wait until DD4 is 7/2nd grade to start it with her. I really like that she'll be 10 when we hit volume 4.

I drool over FIAR. Honestly I wouldn't use SOTW with a Kinder. SOTW is better for older kids. BUT if you have the activity guide, you can copy some of the coloring sheets and make a book for your little one to color. My 3 year old colors SOTW sheets at times. Some of the activities could be interesting for a Kinder and even a few of the recommended readings.

I personally wouldn't try to do maps or narrations or to even read the SOTW text with a Kinder. My 1st grader isn't really into it this year either.

I'd just stick with FIAR and some math and phonics style work in K. That would be a perfect Kindergarten scenario.

I did FIAR for K and we loved it and I didn't do one single lap book. I don't think there are any lapbooks included in FIAR to be honest.

I also bought MP K and substituted almost everything and wound up selling it and just keeping the list of books and the recitations. If you know you would be substituting all that, I wouldn't bother.

I'm another doing FIAR for PK and K and not doing a single lap book. We do very few crafts, and I don't force my non-crafty kid to do the ones we do if he doesn't want to.  It's just not important to me.  We get a TON out of the social studies, geography, science, etc, though!  We have loved FIAR last year and this year!  I blog about our rows if you wanted to check it out.  Link is in my signature. 

For my dd, FIAR was a wonderful precursor to SOTW.  It provided her with some basic geography and history that became a backdrop for our history studies.  FIAR was a complete flop for my ds, though.  He just never cared about being read to (especially not the same book every day), nor did he care about the activities.  He did them because it was on the schedule, but he got nothing out of them.  However, by the time he was a K'er, we were heavily into SOTW, and he spent a lot of time listening to the audio CD's on his own.  So I would say it really depends on what kind of kid you have.  

Nico does enjoy being read to, but my concern is as you said - the same book every day (he has his favorites of his books, but frankly... none of them are the classic books in FIAR, with the exception of Curious George. He's been exposed to many of the others, but not many are active boy worthy, imo).

Just a warning: my son was traumatized by the physical abuse in Ping. You might want to make sure you're comfortable with it. We were not. At all. My first lesson in prereading lit.

Uh oh. Could you clarify (in PM if you want)? He is very sensitive.

If I had a vote, which I don't, I would say neither one. SOTW is not appropriate for K unless its tagging along with an older sibling. FIAR is lots of prep and to make it a full curriculum is hours worth of work on Mom's part. 

I completely and totally disagree with this on both counts.  When I did FIAR with my oldest, I spent about 3 minutes per day to prep.  I just scanned my options and picked whatever was easiest.  (Occasionally, I would do something extra if I thought dd would really love it.)  I added math and reading, and that was it.  It was more than enough for K. I have never quite understood the need to add to it at that age.

My ds is in K right now, and he is not tagging along with SOTW, because dd8 is doing TOG.  Every day he turns on the computer on his own while the rest of us are busy and decides what stories he wants to listen to.  We don't do the AG, just the audio CD's.  We have a huge world map on our wall, and he knows where all the stories are taking place.  He pretends the stories all the time.  I get books from the library related to what he has been listening to, and he spends a lot of time with them.  It is perfect for him, and easy for me.  People are amazed at what he knows.  

You have to know your child.  What does not work for one may be perfect for another.  

You can also approach the spank in ping in another way. We talked about doing what is right regardless of the consequence. For instance standing up to a bully could get you beat up, but you should do it anyway. We also tied it into the revolutionary war, people stood up for what was right even though many were hurt or killed. It's important to look for the life lesson rather then just seeing the surface in many of the FIAR books. I haven't encountered any that promote abuse, although they do not rule out books just because of violence.

We are sort-of doing FIAR this year, with my DD6 and very active DS3 tagging along.  They have both enjoyed every book we have done so far.  I pre-read a bunch of vol. 1 and vol. 2 titles at the library and chose the ones I thought they would enjoy most.  I initially felt like I was supposed to do all of the activities like you see on people's blogs...but I am not crafty and I do not like gathering up a bunch of materials.  So we read the book as long as we are interested, and we do the discussions or activities that are a fit for us.  Also, I have enjoyed the books much more after doing the discussions or activities.  For example, I wasn't all that into Night of the Moonjellies, but after "analyzing" it a bit due to the FIAR book, I could really appreciate it.  I feel like FIAR has helped me to better appreciate the art, literary techniques, historical setting, etc. in other picture books.  I have no idea how much my kids will retain, but it has been easy and enjoyable and I've learned a lot. :)