Menu

Utah school throws away lunches

MSNative

Eat outside? I didn't know there were schools that do this. I know the schools around here do not. My boys went to ps for many years, one all the way through 9th grade, and not even in high school could they go outside to eat.

I don't know of any here that do either. There are some days that certain groups (they alternate) get to eat together in the courtyard at the middle school. I'm not sure of the high school yet, but the cafeteria is almost all glass so at least their view is better than just the four walls at the middle and elementary school.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you expect them to do if a kid shows up with a tray lunch and no money to pay for it?  Even when we were kids, you had to pay for your lunch in order to get to eat it.

Let him eat the food instead of taking it away and THROWING IT AWAY. That is appalling, and shames the child in front of his peers.

Beck

If a child is regularly without either a lunch or lunch money and is not qualifying for free lunch, why isn't the school notifying CPS to investigate for child neglect.? Then it could be determined if mom and/or dad is just being lazy, bummy, prioritizing wrong or truly can't afford food.

I disagree with what happened in Utah. I would never take food away from a child like that. I would refuse, rule or not. 

As for not enough calories, I would eat a big lunch from hone plus a school lunch daily, plus big bfasts, dinners and snack. I had a ridiculously fast metabolism and was still thin despite eating a bunch.. Calorie restrictions at lunch would have been really bad for me. For the most part I do think it a parent's right to determine what their kids eat. The difference is, I would add the responsibility for them to pay for health fallouts. Freedom and responsibility. 

Eat outside? I didn't know there were schools that do this. I know the schools around here do not. My boys went to ps for many years, one all the way through 9th grade, and not even in high school could they go outside to eat.

If the kids eat inside, you have to clean up the crumbs. If they eat out, the birds do it.  :laugh: Of course it doesn't snow here...