Menu

Standardized testing questions

In my state, I need to give dd8 (3rd grade) a standardized test at the end of the year. Since our state prior to this one didn't require them, I've never thought about it. I'm allowed to administer the test, and don't even have to report the scores, just keep them on file. (Weird, but whatever)

Anyway, I'm a bit concerned, because we aren't following a public school schedule for things like history and science. Is there a test that does only math and language arts? If not, if they all test those other subjects, how do I handle it? We haven't touched American history, since we are doing a four year world history cycle. In most public schools, elementary grades study American history. So will there be entire sections of the test she won't know? I don't want her to feel stressed about not knowing these things, *I* can see the bigger picture but she will only know that she hasn't ever heard of those things and it will worry her.

Also, any recommendations for tests? I'd prefer something I can administer, not timed, or at least with generous time (she has focus issues, and anything timed will also cause her stress). Thank you.

We use the Iowa Test of Basic Skills.

You can take and only have scored basic math and language arts, or you can take all and they gives scores both ways - just for basics and with "social studies" and such added in.

I opt to give the full ITBS, as DS enjoys the science, geography and reference skills sections. He does surprisingly well on those sections, even though we don't follow the typical scope/sequence. In fact, I think he scores so well on science and geography because of that. He does miss some odd/random government questions, but no enough to pull down his scores.

OP quote:

I'd prefer something I can administer, not timed, or at least with generous time (she has focus issues, and anything timed will also cause her stress).

I find the time allowance on the ITBS to be generous. My DS has special needs and can finish all but the math computation section. I do tell him upfront that he won't finish that section, so not to stress over it. He never finishes anywhere near all of that section but he still scores slightly above grade level. Speed does really does pull that score down, but I know that going in.

My DS has taken the ITBS and the Stanford 10.  According to him, the Stanford 10 was easier.  The ITBS is timed and can be given by a parent at home if the parent qualifies (has a degree).  The Stanford wasn't timed the last time we did it, and I had to use an approved independent test administrator for that one, as parents weren't allowed to administer it. That may have changed since then though.  (We used Classical Conversations Testing Services even though we aren't in CC.) 

Adding on to previous posts, elementary standardized test sections on science generally assess reading comprehension about a provided reading selection and assess interpretation of charts/graphs.  In other words, they don't actually test science knowledge, just comprehension of the reading or charts/graphs that are provided on the test itself.

For social studies (specific history facts generally aren't covered, IME), beyond reading comprehension and charts/graphs, familiarity with map skills will be the most helpful.  A workbook like the Complete Book of Maps and Geography might be useful preparation if you haven't done anything like that before.

For comparison purposes -- my state tests LA and math every year, beginning in third grade. Science is only tested in 4th and 8th grades; history is never tested. The school science curriculum doesn't necessarily match the tests, so students just use a test practice book to prepare.

During the next few years, my state will be switching to a common core based assessment. So far, I have not heard of any plans to test science or history. But the common core does include more nonfiction comprehension than our previous tests. IMO, any WTM type of studies would be more than adequate in preparing for that.

In my state, I need to give dd8 (3rd grade) a standardized test at the end of the year. Since our state prior to this one didn't require them, I've never thought about it. I'm allowed to administer the test, and don't even have to report the scores, just keep them on file. (Weird, but whatever)

Anyway, I'm a bit concerned, because we aren't following a public school schedule for things like history and science. Is there a test that does only math and language arts? If not, if they all test those other subjects, how do I handle it? We haven't touched American history, since we are doing a four year world history cycle. In most public schools, elementary grades study American history. So will there be entire sections of the test she won't know? I don't want her to feel stressed about not knowing these things, *I* can see the bigger picture but she will only know that she hasn't ever heard of those things and it will worry her.

Also, any recommendations for tests? I'd prefer something I can administer, not timed, or at least with generous time (she has focus issues, and anything timed will also cause her stress). Thank you.

Since you don't have to turn the test n, why are you concerned?

The whole purpose of a standardized test is to compare your child to the normed group's scores. If you are not following the same schedule as most public schools, then of course your dc might not test as well. Or he might test better. It doesn't matter. Do the test. Look at the scores. Go, "Hmmm." and move on.

Before you have your dd take the test, explain that to her, and that it is probable that she won't know some of the stuff on the test because y'all did different stuff, and that it's no big deal. Be sure to do some practice tests beforehand so she'll be prepared. Have a tea party afterward. :-)

We use the online CAT, available from Christian Liberty Press. It is timed, but the time is generous, and it's nice for kids with focus issues because it only shows one question at a time, and the student just clicks a bubble for the answer, no finding the right bubble on a separate sheet needed. In my state, I am not allowed to administer the test myself, and the online test means that I am not doing so. And we get the scores immediately (like, seriously, two minutes after my daughter finished, the results were in my inbox, and I just printed them out and turned them in with my portfolio).

Different tests different years.

When mine were very young, I used the CAT-E from Seton.  I did a few sections a day until we were done.  Then for 3rd-7th we used the PASS from Hewitt.  It tests only math and language arts like the CAT-E, but gives more detail.  You use a pre-test to determine the level, and then just go up a level each year after that.  I did language arts one day and math another.  It is longer than the CAT-E, but shorter than the Stanford and Iowa/ITBS.  Then I did the Stanford myself one year, and then several years in local group testing.  And now mine are in the years of doing college testing, and my county is fine with me turning that in each year, so that is that!