Menu

sleep study for a child?

maize

I have preformed them on neonates to people. In their 90s. Yes I would say any one who has frequent wakings should get a sleep study

What can a sleep study tell you, other than if a person has apnea? What can you do with the information? This is new territory for me.

My ds had sleep studies last year. One that determined he wasn't actually sleeping. He had tonsil/adenoid surgery. After the surgery he had another study and it was determined that he was sleeping more, but still not enough and was still getting very low on oxygen during sleep. So, now he has a biPap machine. The third study was to determine if the biPap was working. It does. 

You should go to the doctor and explain the situation and see if you can get a referal for a sleep study. 

My 3.5 year old had one done last summer.  He had always slept poorly, snored a lot, and was wild and had so many tantrums during the day.  He had enlarged adenoids and tonsils and the sleep study showed that he was having several episodes of apnea each hour.  He had his tonsils and adenoids removed (and that recovery was a *&%$&) and his snoring stopped, his sleep has improved.  We'll repeat the sleep study soon.

My son has had two. He was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea in the latest one. We'll be doing tonsils and adenoids. Apnea can certainly cause emotional stuff.

But they monitor lots of things in addition to apnea--restless leg, sleep latency, seizures, reduced REM sleep, etc. that can disrupt sleep quality or quantity.

Can I piggyback some sleep questions?  I have a ds10 who has been having "issues" (mostly emotional ones) and coincidentally has not been sleeping well.  I don't know when the sleep issues started, but the irritability has been going on for about a year and a half, at least.  We've looked into lots of angles but not sleep.  This morning he said he was up at 4am.  This is my ds with asthma - he's on Dulera and Allegra (well I try to not use the Allegra unless he's stuffy, but lately I wonder if that's the wrong approach).

He had his adenoids out when he was 2 y.o., though our new allergist mentioned that it's possible for the adenoids to grow back.  A while back, the allergist mentioned referring for a sleep study if I wanted, though at the time I wasn't ready for that step.  This ds also takes magnesium at night and fish oil and vitamin D in the morning.

Anyway, if we really want to explore medical causes for a sleep problem, where should we start - with the allergist (at an asthma specialty hospital) or with the ped?

My disabled dd has had a couple. She has a shunt (hydrocephalus) that failed when she was 10. Her symptom of failure was pretty dramatic sleep apnea. She would fall asleep in my arms and then wake up 1 or 2 minutes later gasping for breath. Replacing the shunt fixed the apnea. A follow-up sleep study showed that she had mild central sleep apnea. Obstructive sleep apnea is more treatable--remove tonsils or use a CPAP. Central didn't have too many treatment options (at least 6 years ago it didn't). When dd started napping during the day during middle school, we wondered if she was getting enough sleep at night. Another sleep study showed that she actually didn't have sleep apnea (at least when her shunt is working). I figure that her brain hadn't fully recovered when she had her first study done. So why does she nap during the day? They put a monitor on her for a few weeks and found that she averages 13 hours of sleep per day--just needs a lot of sleep.

Anyway, all that doesn't really help you much, except to say that there are lots of reasons why brains might be atypical in the sleep department. The place to begin would be with your primary care doctor to see if a sleep study would help. 

Ds had one a couple of years ago.  He had some spells of apnea and I had him evaluated by an ear,nose,throat doctor.  It showed some apnea, but not enough to warrant a c-pap machine.  The apnea doesn't affect my son's behavior.  I recall reading that not getting enough REM sleep could cause behavior problems with kids, though.   

Sorry just getting back to this.  There are all kinds of this we can find on a sleep test.  We have found siezes and heart issues that was causing the patient to not get rest and didnt know they had.

They will put 7 wires in the hair to monitor brain waves.  There are 5 stages of sleep 1 the drowsy stage 2 is where a lot of time is spent stage three or deep sleep is where kids grow and body is rested and REM is the most active stage where you body paralizes and then is restored.

One behind each ear as a reference wire

6 on your face to monitor eye movement and teeth grinding and paralisis

2 to 3 on your chest for your heart monitoring

2 wires on each leg to see if there is something going on with them

a pulse ox on your finger so that we can see the heart rate and the blood oxygen level

a snore mic on the neck to pick up any vibration

and then a canula in the nose to monitor air flow to see each breath

and a belt on the belly and one on the chest to monitor effort (you can also get some leads on your rib cage depending on the lab for effort)

As for Central sleep apnea.  The current treatment is bilevel support with a back up rate or ASV if that does not correct it.

It is an easy test but dont think you are going to get a great night sleep.

Can I piggyback some sleep questions?  I have a ds10 who has been having "issues" (mostly emotional ones) and coincidentally has not been sleeping well.  I don't know when the sleep issues started, but the irritability has been going on for about a year and a half, at least.  We've looked into lots of angles but not sleep.  This morning he said he was up at 4am.  This is my ds with asthma - he's on Dulera and Allegra (well I try to not use the Allegra unless he's stuffy, but lately I wonder if that's the wrong approach).

He had his adenoids out when he was 2 y.o., though our new allergist mentioned that it's possible for the adenoids to grow back.  A while back, the allergist mentioned referring for a sleep study if I wanted, though at the time I wasn't ready for that step.  This ds also takes magnesium at night and fish oil and vitamin D in the morning.

Anyway, if we really want to explore medical causes for a sleep problem, where should we start - with the allergist (at an asthma specialty hospital) or with the ped?

My understanding is that controlling allergies can actually treat sleep apnea in kids if the apnea per hour is in the very low range (like an AHI of 1 or 2 for example, which should still be treated in kids). I saw a study to that effect. We started a nasal steriod, which was what they used in the study, because my son does have allergies. He also takes a daily zyrtec. That said, we still have to treat w/surgery and beyond if that doesn't fix it, because my son was moderate (AHI over 9).

Allergies by themselves can mess with sleep. Is there a reason you don't do allegra daily? An allergist could help you sort out whether he needs a daily anti-histamine or more. If this allergist mentioned a sleep study before, I'd see that person again and request one.

You have a history of apnea, adenoids can grow back, and you're seeing sleep issues. So I think it's warranted.

Does he have a regular bedtime? Does he know what woke him at 4 and is this normal for him? How much sleep does he get most nights? Any issues falling asleep? Sometimes this stuff is more behavioral...not that the child can help it, but that a behavioral approach (like cognitive behavioral therapy) can help/there isn't a physical cause.

Emotional issues could be from the lack of quality sleep then the less sleep the more the immune system is down and it because a cycle because if you are sick you dont sleep well.

I would take my allergy daughter in if she was waking up alot at night.  She is a sleeper who needs at least 12 hrs or she is a crabby crabby emotional mess

ds15 had one done recently.  We had to bring the machine home (well actually we did it at gramma's), hook him up and monitor over night then return in the am.  We were supposed to be in the city today to get the results but could not make it so waiting to hear if they want us to reschedule that appt or if they will do it over the phone.