Menu

Musical Instruments

If your child is learning an instrument, or did in past, or you are considering it:

How did (will) you or your child decide on what instrument(s) your child would (will) study?

Particularly if your child is/was older when starting, and did not particularly request to study an instrument, but parent thinks it a good idea, how did you get your child to go along with it?

Has anyone's child done an "unusual" instrument, and if so what, and how is that going?

A character in a book my son is reading is playing mandolin, thus it's of possible interest to ds at the moment. Has anyone's child tried mandolin with success? How would one find a mandolin teacher?

Or would one self study and if so, how?

If your child were potentially interested in a particular instrument like mandolin, would you if possible try to support that interest, or would you try to start with something where teachers/lessons/instruments seemed more readily available in your area.

All of my children play piano. I give them limited choice on the second instrument. The oldest chose cello. Now all the others want cello too. The second plays cello and the third lisps "sthello! sthello!" so I suspect that would be it.

Because they began at five, they were somewhat limited. I wouldn't choose something there was no good teacher locally for. Some instruments are not indicated for five-year-olds -- five-year-olds rarely play trumpet or guitar for various excellent reasons.

I wouldn't start music with an older child who didn't want to go along with it. It's not something I'm interested in fighting with a ten-year-old. It hasn't been a fight with my younger ones because they're so used to it, and besides, it's better than spelling.

I play the piano professionally, so my children both have had piano lessons from me . Dd likes piano and is continuing lessons, but ds didn't enjoy piano. It was important to me that he continue with an instrument. He chose drums. Not my first choice, but we found him an excellent teacher, he's enjoys playing, and I love having a drum set in my living room! :huh:

If your ds is interested in mandolin, I don't think it would be unreasonable to try it, and I would think you could find a teacher fairly easy. It's not that unusual of an instrument.

Edited to fix spelling.

We started with 'group piano lessons' at the music studio downtown when dd was 4.  Then I realized that we could do much better on our own.

Currently, dd is 7, and I still teach her. 

I chose piano because

--I learned as a child

--instruments (keyboards) are affordable for pretty good quality (for what we are doing). Our keyboard was ~$100, but we should have splurged and gotten the next model up, for $150.

--it is easy for young children to learn the piano.  One is just plinking keys.  Potentially, even tone deaf people can plink keys on a piano.

--if dd chooses to continue learning piano, it could lead to a extra income (teaching piano lessons) when she is an adult.

Dd is not thrilled with our piano lessons, because I expect her to practice daily.  However, I'm pretty immune to her complaints because I know:

--this is what I consider our "music class."

--she can earn days of no keyboard, where we just play music games or read books about composers or ballet stories

--because it is important to me, she earns 30cents/30minute practice session.  (This is increased from 25c/session I paid when our practices were shorter.)

--she complains about nearly every other subject I expect her to do; at a certain point, it just becomes noise.

At a certain point, dd7 will pass me in my piano abilities.  At that point, we will find a better teacher than I, or she will choose a different instrument.

Also,

at whatever point kids start to learn instruments through the school band program, I will ask dd if there is another instrument she would like to learn.  If we can afford the instrument and find an affordable teacher, she may do two instruments at once.

------------------------------------------------

When Loverboy was a kid, his school system offered Musical Summer School between 4th-5th Grades.    I think its brilliant.

Each week for 4-6 weeks, a different family of instruments was studied. 

For example:

Week 1: Woodwinds.  Pick one you wanted to do. Each kid (out of 7-9 kids) would be sent home with a clarinet, flute, saxophone, etc.  That was your main instrument of the week.  You learned to play it, but you would also trade.  Throughout the week, you would get to experience each instrument in the family.

Week 2: Brass (Trumpets/Trombones)

Week 3: Brass (Baritones/Tubas)

Week 4: Percussion

Week 5: Strings  (Violin/Viola)

Week 6: Strings (Bass/Cello)

With this system, by the end of the 4-6 weeks, kids would have a pretty good idea of what instrument they were most interested in.

If your child is learning an instrument, or did in past, or you are considering it:

How did (will) you or your child decide on what instrument(s) your child would (will) study?

Particularly if your child is/was older when starting, and did not particularly request to study an instrument, but parent thinks it a good idea, how did you get your child to go along with it?

Has anyone's child done an "unusual" instrument, and if so what, and how is that going?

A character in a book my son is reading is playing mandolin, thus it's of possible interest to ds at the moment. Has anyone's child tried mandolin with success? How would one find a mandolin teacher?

If your child were potentially interested in a particular instrument like mandolin, would you if possible try to support that interest, or would you try to start with something where teachers/lessons/instruments seemed more readily available in your area.

1. We make the final decision, although we take the child's opinion into account. There are also limitations with expense, availability of teachers, etc, we don't live near a major city so we can't just pick anything we fancy. It may be useful to consider how and when the child might eventually want to play music. Is it important for your son to be able to play in an orchestra/band/ensemble? Does he like singing and want to be able to accompany himself? Might he be travelling and want to take the instrument along (tricky with a full sized harp lol)? Does he want to play music when camping? In church? What genres of music does he like? etc.

2. Not sure yet. When ds10 and dd8 were younger, I made them learn piano as part of their school work. For the most part, this was spectacularly unsuccessful, and when it got to the point where practice involved shouting, crying and tantrums (me and children) I decided there was no point and let them quit. However I am now thinking of requiring them to do music again but approaching it a bit differently. I guess we'd get them to cooperate partly by making it a given, just as we do with sport, and partly by negotiating and allowing them as much choice as practical.

3. Not the kids, but one of the instruments I did was oboe, which was pretty unusual (I was the only oboist in my school). As with everything, there are pros and cons. If your child is planning on joining an auditioned youth orchestra, it might be easier to get in on oboe than on violin. Similarly, less competition in eisteddfods or whatever you have over there. If the kid is heading to highschool, you might even score a scholarship on the basis of being able to play what the school orchestra/band 'needs'. Looking another way, it can also be an advantage to the less talented (or less dedicated) musician - a child who is the only euphonium player won't rank herself the same way her five flautist friends do.

4. No idea about mandolin. I'd start by Googling and asking around. However I would strongly recommend a teacher if you can manage it. Some people are successful with self study, but it's very difficult for a child, especially if the parents have little/no experience of the instrument either. And many people who learn without a teacher wind up with bad techniques and habits that are hard to fix later on. If mandolin isn't going to happen, maybe a related instrument like ukulele could be an option?

I picked violin (my kids were little) because the size, technique is well adapted for teaching small kids. I'm a pianist myself, but I wanted them to play with ensembles. Also, in our part of the world fiddling is very popular, and if you can fiddle you will be a popular party guest, can play in bands, etc. as well as classical stuff. Also, there were great teachers and good programs. 

With bigger kids, there are more options and choices for sure. I would certainly let the kid choose, or have some choice in the matter. I would also make sure the kid understood and made a commitment to practice. You cannot make progress on an instrument without daily or near daily practice-it just won't work. The other thing is, according to The Talent Code the best predictor of success is a child seeing themselves as a musician, and making a long term commitment. I would also think about an instrument that a kid can use socially, and that will depend upon your social circle-guitar, piano, fiddle/violin, bass (string or electric or both), or an orchestral instrument if he/you are into classical music. Check out what's available locally in terms of teacher, ensembles. If he's kind of "meh" about the whole thing, maybe a choir, musical theatre group, or local band/very beginner orchestra. The cost and commitment is much less, and he might inspired then to a bigger commitment. 

My children all decided which instrument they wanted to play. They had a lot of exposure to different styles of music and different instruments so they could make an educated decision.

My oldest was the oldest when he started at 8yo....not sure if that is "older" according to your standards. He chose the instrument so he was excited to begin lessons.

My middle ds plays guitar but also banjo, Irish bouzouki, and mandolin.

Knowing how to play guitar helped ds figure out the other instruments, including mandolin, on his own. My dd can pick out fiddle tunes on a mandolin because both instruments are strung the same but has not put in the time she would need to pick it quickly.

I would encourage them and find them a teacher. Depending what genre of mandolin music he is interested in and where you live, you could check out names of mandolin teachers or performers and get in touch with some of them for ideas on where to start....you might find a summer camp (for Irish music, Old Time or Bluegrass music) and look at the names of people teaching mandolin. If you'd like to pm me, I might be able to help you out with your research.

You're never too old to learn an instrument. I think you should definitely consider your child's interest when picking out an instrument. It's hard enough to get them to practice with an instrument they enjoy! Of course, I think all children should be exposed to music, so perhaps your child needs more introductions to real instruments? Go see folks playing the mandolin and see if that remains an interest!

All of my children play piano. I give them limited choice on the second instrument. The oldest chose cello. Now all the others want cello too. The second plays cello and the third lisps "sthello! sthello!" so I suspect that would be it.

Because they began at five, they were somewhat limited. I wouldn't choose something there was no good teacher locally for. Some instruments are not indicated for five-year-olds -- five-year-olds rarely play trumpet or guitar for various excellent reasons.

I wouldn't start music with an older child who didn't want to go along with it. It's not something I'm interested in fighting with a ten-year-old. It hasn't been a fight with my younger ones because they're so used to it, and besides, it's better than spelling.

Could you explain further or do you know of a source of information on what sorts of instruments are appropriate for what ages? I assume the reason for the trumpet is the embouchure is too advanced and therefore all brass instruments would be out? But I'm just speculating... I'm just wondering at what ages lessons for different instruments might be started.

I can't recommend a book off the top of my head, but there are several about choosing the "right" instrument. The traditional early instruments are piano and violin (see Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, etc) so most info for very young kids are about that. Practically speaking, for a small kid (under 7-9) most instruments will need to be modified (except piano though very small kids need an elevated stool, not sure about guitar but I'd assume so). For example, a friend had an 8 year old in a local homeschool band, and she was trying to play an unmodified flute, and she simply was not strong enough to get much of a sound, so she gave up. She is petite, and some can at that age. My son loves to play my trombone, but he can't reach past 4th position. So, for little kids, the easy thing to look at is suzuki programs which have modified instruments (other than piano)-violin and cello but also flute and guitar (there may be a few others.)  As well, in our area there's a program called Clarineo which is a modified clarinet for smaller kids (early elementary). Most kids are growing in to more average instruments by grade 4-5, some earlier, depending on the instrument and the kid (and how fussy the teacher is). String players will usually be in fractional instruments longer. If you talk to a local teacher, they'll be able to tell you how big your kid needs to be to manage the instrument of their dreams. 

DW is a middle school band director, so we did it like school. DD tried out several and one just spoke to her - french horn.

Tried early Suziki violin, not the right fit. Took piano, not the right fit, although having a piano has proven essential.

Unusual? Well DD has also played 5th bass drum (36") in DW's marching percussion ensemble for several years, which prob only seems normal to us.

I would say check at local music shops or if there is a local college check with their music department.  They should be able to give you a recommendation.  Another thought is to check with any local orchestras or community music programs.  The folks in charge might be able to give you a lead.

Dd was 9 when she started taking trombone.  We had thought of doing the traditional piano but a friend of ours actually teaches trombone and though she would be a good fit.  On top of that years before we picked up a very nice trombone for an amazing price (no one in our family played trombone but dh could not pass up the deal).

I do know some folks that have done things like the accordion or bagpipes and started them in the teen years.  Our area though is blessed with several excellent music schools/programs and several colleges (one a famous music school) so you can pretty much find anything around here if you really want it.

My Dd became fascinated with Irish whistles and flutes because she loves Celtic music. She decided she wanted to learn how to play them.

Since she was beginning 5th grade and I knew that was when our local ps started kids with musical instruments and band, I suggested she enroll just for music and take flute lessons (Irish whistle/flute not an option).  

She got excited about it so we went to the orientation before school started.  We had an opportunity to meet the music teacher, and he confirmed that learning the flute would help Dd immensely in transitioning to both instruments she wishes to play.

Dd has been at this now since last September and plays quite well.  In fact, she is one of the top 3 flute players.

If you're Ds wants to play mandolin, but you can't find lessons, try guitar (or banjo if available).  It's similar to the mandolin and will teach the fingering principles he'll need, plus how to read music.  Then he should be able to teach himself the mandolin.

We have told our Dd that if she sticks with the flute and becomes proficient with it, then we will know she is serious and buy her either an Irish flute or whistle.  Her choice.  Right now we rent the flute through the school for $35/mo.