Menu

Home party questions

lil' maids in a row

I have been invited to a home party being put on by a friend who is starting her direct sales business.  I am sincerely interested in hearing about this new part of her life.  I can also see myself referring friends to her.  Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to buy anything.  The price point is quite high, and while it is a good product it is a luxury product (with only a few offerings and no less expensive purchase options).  I just can't afford it.  Should I still go to the party?  Is it rude to go and not make a purchase?

Any direct sellers out there?  What would you want your friends to do?  Come and not buy or just stay home so you can focus on other customers?

Be very direct with your friend and tell her that while you support her and her business, you simply won't be purchasing anything from her.

Don't make the mistake of saying you can't afford it "right now," because she may have been trained to answer that objection by suggesting a payment plan. (There is usually quite a bit of sales training that focuses on answering objections and closing the sale, and your friend may be feeling pretty enthusiastic right now, so she might be a little pushy.)

If you can't afford to buy anything but still want to help, maybe you could offer to set up the refreshments for her or to be the one who passes samples around, or even to help her fill out order forms.

Be very direct with your friend and tell her that while you support her and her business, you simply won't be purchasing anything from her.

Don't make the mistake of saying you can't afford it "right now," because she may have been trained to answer that objection by suggesting a payment plan. (There is usually quite a bit of sales training that focuses on answering objections and closing the sale, and your friend may be feeling pretty enthusiastic right now, so she might be a little pushy.)

If you can't afford to buy anything but still want to help, maybe you could offer to set up the refreshments for her or to be the one who passes samples around, or even to help her fill out order forms.

I agree. Offering to help her with hostessing duties so she can focus on her customers would be a great way to show her your support without having to make a purchase. I think honesty is the best policy here.

I agree. Offering to help her with hostessing duties so she can focus on her customers would be a great way to show her your support without having to make a purchase. I think honesty is the best policy here.

I think it would also be a lot less awkward if she offers to help at the party than if she just says she's not going to be able to buy anything. I also think it would be good moral support for her friend to know that she will be there to cheer her on at her first party.

She'll want you to still come.

Sometimes just your presence can be a huge support. But more importantly, even if you can't swing a purchase ... you CAN (and appear willing to) spread some word-of-mouth. That can prove just as valuable, maybe even more, than a single purchase.

I'd go. If she's inner-circle and you're comfortable confiding your lack of funds ... do it. But I don't think it's really necessary to. Take a brochure, manhandle the product and ask her for some business cards to pass out to your friends. She'll appreciate that.

She will definitely say to please come, even if you can't buy anything. If she is just starting out, she is likely to have a 'supervisor' there (upline, director, whatever), and you should know that this person isn't likely to take you at your word (of not purchasing anything). 

This is a sales pitch, no more, no less. I would not attend out of some mistaken idea of offering support. The only support they want is sales, no matter what they say. I would make other plans for that night and wish her the best.