Menu

paging Dr. Hive

saraha

My 9 yo dd played her first full court basketball game tonight.  She plays 6 minutes at a time with a 2 minute break in between and a 20 minute break at half time.  It is a rec league and not super competitive.  We had noticed at practice that she was getting red in the face, but not really sweating even though she said she was hot.  Tonight, she got very red in the face and said she felt like her throat was clogged up and it was a little hard to breathe.    Of course she didn't tell us this until after the game, and except for the red face, we didn't notice anything on the court while she played.   She was not sweaty at all, even though the some of the other kids were.

Any idea what this could be, and should I be scheduling a Dr apt for first thing tomorrow, or wait and see?

Thanks!

I'm assuming that it is new? Otherwise, there are some people (me) who get very red when they exercise. I used to be beet red at the height of being in shape as a college athlete.

If it's new, I don't know. Could she be getting a cold? If there is no congestion now that the game is over, I would take her to the doctor. If she has the beginning of a cold, that might explain all.

She is fair skinned, blond hair,.blue eyes

This is the first time she has competed in a "strenuous" sport, so I can't tell if it is new.

Would the red face be connected to not sweating?  I've never noticed the amount my kids sweat before, so it may not be an issue, just a detail I was noticing along with the redness and the comment about not being able to breath easily.

The curse of the fair-skinned...I get very red when exercising, even when extremely fit.

It does concern me that she stated it was hard to breathe, but it is likely just that she is unaccustomed to exercise.

My advice is to listen to your "mom instinct:" If her symptoms concerned you at the time, then either watch her closely at practice (if possible) and/or take her in to the doc. If she was wheezing and coughing, definitely take her in.

She also needs to remember to breathe. She may be running and not breathing properly. Maybe some light running training to conditioner her. Was she able to run for 5 or 6 minutes yesterday? I'm with Jean on keeping an eye out for the exercise asthma as well. One of mine gets very red when exercising. 

Over the course of the game she drank a whole bottle of Gatorade, not that you need Gatorade for a rec basketball game, but the church sells them as a fundraiser for the league, so we buy one for her every week.

She is complaining about stuffy nose, etc today, so we decided to wait and see what happens at next week's game.  I have seasonal asthma, so not ruling that out either, which is funny, because the thing that worried me most seems to be the thing that isn't a problem.  Which is good, but makes me glad I asked on here before taking her to the ped and sounding like a dummy.  I am also going to talk to her about how she breathes when she runs.  Full court basketball is new for her this year and she may just be holding her breath or something too.

Thanks so much for all of your advice.