Menu

Any ideas about how to use "used" vanilla beans?

Samiam

About a year ago, I made my own vanilla extract.  I let the beans just sit in a big jug of vodka the whole time and just poured a bit into a small daily use bottle as needed.  Just finished off the last bit from the big jug, and I've started a new batch, with new beans.  But just wondering if there's any good use for the "old" vanilla beans...they are still moist, fragrant, and essentially been "pickled" in vodka the past year.   I did put a few into a jar of sugar to make vanilla sugar...heard that was yummy (though I'm on a no sugar eating plan, so I can't even eat that, lol!).   Any other ideas of how to use "used" vanilla beans?

We made vanilla extract that way at a mops meetings years ago, but with smaller bottles. I was told to just keep topping it with vodka when it would start to run low, and let it sit for awhile again. I have a few bottles I rotate, but I still use it and it still smells like vanilla extract. I wonder when they do lose their flavor?

I had a similar dilemma after making a batch of vanilla. I bought new beans, and two bottles of vodka. I refilled the old beans with fresh vodka and then started a whole new batch - new beans, new vodka. After about 3 months there is a noticeable difference between the two. I'll try and post a picture tomorrow (it's too dark to get a good shot now). I think the second run beans might yield a second batch - but it's slower going compared to the fresh beans.

FWIW, I let the first batch I made sit for a solid 6 months before using as I wanted it very dark and strong so I may be biased as to what a "good" batch looks like.

Here's the pic of my two vanillas. The one on the left is the fresh bean batch, the other is the second run. I think the second run will work - but it won't be as strong - even if I leave it for a while. I will make a second run with all my beans now because its such a good use of the beans (for me - its the cost factor). :-)

post-841-0-86437000-1390831794_thumb.jpg