Menu

Slowing down Xtra Math

Wheres Toto

I know I've seen a way on here to slow down the count down in Xtra math but I can't find it.  Going to the Xtra math FAQ talks about why you shouldn't slow it down, but I really need to for dd.  I want to get her started using it but I know she'll just get frustrated and upset when it moves too fast.

Thanks.

Are you talking about the 6-second version? When you sign into the parent page, you can assign your child to another program. There's a drop down box listing the programs. Instead of staying on the normal addition program which is first used, you can choose the addition 6s option. Does that help?

As described above, you switch it to the 6 second program, which gives you twice the time before it turns from yellow to green, and twice the time before your time runs out. You should be aware that you lose all your "mastery" green squares and start over with the proficiency quiz. I guess it's considered a totally different program, and I was bummed about that. I have a super young kid doing it (still not 5 yet), and I wish it would give him more time even.

When I used it, I pretaught each level with strategies, and then used Xtra math as the Xtra, for review and testing. I did not TEACH with Xtra math.

I don't teach with it either, just use it for drill.  But dd isn't very fast with the keyboard so I don't want it to just be frustrating for her.

Are you talking about the 6-second version? When you sign into the parent page, you can assign your child to another program. There's a drop down box listing the programs. Instead of staying on the normal addition program which is first used, you can choose the addition 6s option. Does that help?

Sign in as the parent and then choose "Change Program" from the menu on the left.  You'll want one of the "Extended: 6 Second" choices.

Thank you!!! 

As described above, you switch it to the 6 second program, which gives you twice the time before it turns from yellow to green, and twice the time before your time runs out. You should be aware that you lose all your "mastery" green squares and start over with the proficiency quiz. I guess it's considered a totally different program, and I was bummed about that. I have a super young kid doing it (still not 5 yet), and I wish it would give him more time even.

It is considered a totally different "program" - but this is a GOOD thing. We do the 6 second version for several of the skills (addition, multiplication) and then go back and do the 3 second 'regular' version for the same ones. They are there working on building up their speed. My kids aren't fast on the keyboard, either, which is why the six second version is so key. 

My dd#2 is working on the 3-second version for subtraction right now. She's got 6 second division left & 3 second subtraction & division.

Here is my explanation on how to set the six second option.