Menu

Third eyelid in cats?

fourcatmom

One of my cats was at the vet yesterday since our rescue kitty has been sick and I was seeing some signs that one of my guys was sick as well. Still not sure what is going on but we had noticed a week or go (or so) that the "film" in the corner of his eyes were getting bigger. The vet said this is called a third eyelid. I had never heard of that before. I notice it to a small degree in two of my other cats as well. We thought the recuse kitty had coccidia but now it seems more like bacteria overgrowth. I am not really sure what is going through the house but I thinking the appearance of this third eyelid is an indication that "something" is wrong with several of my cats.

Does anyone have experience with a third eyelid in a cat?

Its appearance has been an indication that the kitty is unwell at my house too. Check for dehydration until you can get kitty to the vet. If it's still eating and drinking and acting ok, I wouldn't rush it to the emergency vet (which would be our only option on a Sunday). A respiratory infection caused the problem for us.

He went in yesterday but nothing conclusive on what is happening. We thought it was the coocidia but the test didn't show it. They are giving him probiotics and put him on a bland diet but I think there is something more that the vet and the rescue (treating the rescue kitty) are missing.

So does every cat have this and it mostly comes out if they are sick? When I said I had noticed this on a smaller scale in two of my other cats, she asked if they were brothers? This is the first I have ever heard of a third eyelid?.

Thanks.

It's only been really obvious on my cats when they were sick or injured.  But sometimes you can see it if you watch the (normal, healthy) cat wake up suddenly.  They'll open their normal eyelids and sometimes the third one lags slightly behind.

One of my cats always reacts to stress by getting sick because stress affects his immune system or something - he once got an eye infection right after we moved, and we noticed because of the third eyelid.  Maybe your cat got a bit stressed by the new cat coming and going so quickly, so his system wasn't able to fight off a normal germ.  I hope it's just a little thing like that, and it gets better soon!

Yes, all cats have a third eyelid. They're a protective device for the eyes (esp. during fights). Is there a different vet you could see for a second opinion? Check for dehydration, resp. infections, etc....

Here is a little more info:

http://felinedocs.com/dr-diana-lafer/that-mysterious-third-eyelid/ 

ETA: With your latest post, I'm thinking your cats might need to get a second opinion for sure. I'd definitely keep an eye out for dehydration....

I don't honestly think they are dehydrated. They are a urinary food that makes them want to to drink more and now his bland food is a wet food. I keep coming back to thinking it might be herpes but I think the rescue was vaccinated against that before he was dumped outside. I really think he picked up something outside and brought it in. My cats have always been healthy but there is something going around. The rescue kitty has been at the rescue since the 9th being treated with antibiotics and they say he is doing good, so I don't know.

Thank for the feedback. The only reason I keep going back to herpes is that our one very sensitive cat (that has all the urinary problems) and have been been to the vet multiple times seems fine. He has been vaccinated against the herpes but the others haven't. We did some respiratory signs in them a few weeks ago where they seemed to have a lot of mucus in their mouths. There was also a weekend where one would meow and literally nothing would come out. That seemed to clear up but then the smelly loose poop started. The rescue came in with this but they kept saying it was probably from the worm meds so I waited. I hadn't even realized the other cat was having the same issue until the rescue left since I have been sick as well.

On the other hand the sensitive one also has litter box issues so it's pretty much clean each time he uses it so that may have prevented him from getting whatever it is they have but I don't know if that would be enough to not catch it.

The third eyelid is called a nictitating membrane. It can stay exposed due to injury, irritation. or illness.

Here's what one pet site says:

When To Seek Treatment

The protrusion of your cat's third eyelid doesn't necessarily mean you must go scampering to the vet for treatment. Keep an eye on the lid, and see if it improves in a day or two. Between shed hair, dusty cat litter and sticking his face where it doesn't belong, your cat may have something in his eye, and the third lid is attempting to clear it. If the lid appears swollen or unusually red, or if other symptoms are present, such as discharge or a change in your cat's behavior, take him to your vet for an exam and treatment. In some cases, an ointment or antibiotic helps clear things up, while surgery may be necessary in other cases, depending on the injury.

So does every cat have this and it mostly comes out if they are sick? When I said I had noticed this on a smaller scale in two of my other cats, she asked if they were brothers? This is the first I have ever heard of a third eyelid?.

Thanks.

I'm sensing you're a little freaked out at the knowledge that your cats have all had, lurking behind those cute, fuzzy faces, a whole extra set of eyelids you knew nothing about.  :lol:   It freaked me out too the first time I learned about it.  Now, of course, I have a cat who lays around with his third lids halfway shut most of the time.  He's perfectly healthy, just some quirk of his that happens to make him look like an alien and freaks out guests. :P

I'm sensing you're a little freaked out at the knowledge that your cats have all had, lurking behind those cute, fuzzy faces, a whole extra set of eyelids you knew nothing about.  :lol:   It freaked me out too the first time I learned about it.  Now, of course, I have a cat who lays around with his third lids halfway shut most of the time.  He's perfectly healthy, just some quirk of his that happens to make him look like an alien and freaks out guests. :p

Well, I find it strange that I could have spent my whole life around cats and never knew this! Weird but most of my stress comes from thinking that something is wrong with them, given the recent changes to the house and the symptoms that I am seeing. Since others have said that their cats are more visible during illness that just adds to what I already thought..that something is going through the house.

The vet put our boy on Probiotics and a bland diet but I am going to push for antibiotics. He has thrown up twice tonight and actually fell over while we was throwing up just about 2 hours ago. Scared the cr@p out of me!

My dd thinks he had a seizure but I think it was too short to be one. He was vomiting and then he fell, he seemed like he lost control of his legs and then once he righted himself his head was to the side. It was quick but it was something I have never seen before.

Echoing what others have said -- the correct term for the third eyelid is nictitating membrane.  Dogs have them, too.  Sometimes they become visible because of injury, but IME it's most typically due to the animal not feeling well. So I think you're correct to pursue a diagnosis.  I always jump to attention when I see an animal's third eyelid.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the seizure like activity after vomiting.  I have seen a very few dogs and cats over the years react like that after violent bouts of coughing or vomiting.  Vets have assured me it's nothing to worry about.  But mention it when you see your vet, just in case.