Menu

Red acne marks

Night Elf

Our derm suggested micro dermabrasion. We found someone who is doing it for $50/session. My daughter has had one session and has another scheduled, so we do not know yet whether it will work. It seemed to after the first treatment, but everything I read said that it usually takes three before you see results. Also, a friend suggested some kind of laser treatment that I have not yet investigated.

Are they just red marks or actual pitted scars? Red marks after acne can take a long time to go away 6-12 months or more but eventually they are gone. I still have one from a pimple in July but it is fading every day. Things that help include exfoliating a few times a week to bring up new cells and using sunscreen every single day. The sun will hyper pigment dark spots so this can really help them fade faster if you are consistent. AHA is something to look into as well.

If these are actual scars and not just red spots from inflammation then a visit to the dermotologist is probably in order.

Thanks. I did think about the micro dermabrasion, but I don't think my Aspie son would be able to deal with it. He has some red spots and some pitted spots that are also red. We did have some Retin A that the dermatologist gave us to help his acne, but that expired. I didn't know if that would help or not. I'll check out the Mederma. Some time ago, I bought a product that claimed it got rid of spots and we didn't use it long enough to see any improvement. I imagine it would take months of use.

• 2 weeks later...

The after-acne coloration is post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation. It does eventually go away on its own, but you can speed it up with a fade cream.

Proactive Solution has a product called dark spot corrector that you can buy separately from their other products. It is working for me. It takes about three months of daily use. I like it because it has a pleasant smell. 

Thanks. I did think about the micro dermabrasion, but I don't think my Aspie son would be able to deal with it. He has some red spots and some pitted spots that are also red. We did have some Retin A that the dermatologist gave us to help his acne, but that expired. I didn't know if that would help or not. I'll check out the Mederma. Some time ago, I bought a product that claimed it got rid of spots and we didn't use it long enough to see any improvement. I imagine it would take months of use.

The discoloration fades on its own, including in the pitted spots, which will make the pits less obvious.  Our dermatologist does not recommend dermabrasion for boys until they are older. Her opinion is that once they are fully mature, the texture of a man's face is much courser than a woman's, and this is obviously especially true in the beard area. So her philosophy is wait until they are adults and see how it looks to them at that point.