Menu

Read aloud suggestions for young boys

I have three boys, ages 7, 5 and 3. The 7 year old has Aspergers and is probably a bit younger emotionally than his chronological age. We just read the My Father's Dragon trilogy and the boys loved it..begged me to keep reading each night.I tried to get them into the Wizzard of Oz. They didn't like it. It was too..dark, I guess. So, I am hoping to get some great chapter book read -aloud options that they will love, and are also good literature.

Any suggestions?

All great suggestions! I am definitely going to read the Roald Dahl books to them. I had not heard of Owls in the Family so will definitely put that on the list as well. I am just wanting to make sure I don't read books to them before they are old enough to really appreciate them or get some of the humor, etc. For instance, I noticed that the reading level of the Owls book was listed at 4-7th or 8th grade, I think? I am not sure what we should be aiming for. They still like picture books, but can lay still and kind of (on a good night) focus on a chapter book without pictures. I want to push in that direction, but don't want to get too far over their heads so that they loose interest. Any thoughts about that?

I read Owls in the Family to  my children last year and they both really enjoyed it.

Henry Huggins series.

Ramona Quimby series

Homer Price

Enid Blyton (I don't think she is as popular/well known in the US, but she is an author I highly recommend http://www.enidblyton.net/ )

You could also look at Sonlight, Veritas Press, Memoria Press, Heart of Dakota etc and pick from their lists the books you would like to read aloud.

I second Dick King-Smith. The Waterhorse is really sweet. I admit to buying that one as an audiobook, though. It's more fun narrated in a Scottish accent. :)

We also like the Boxcar Children and everything Roald Dahl.

My son was/is a HUGE fan of Winne the Pooh. I suggest the audio version narrated by Peter Dennis, if you go the audiobook route.

Mr. Popper's Penguins, Stuart Little, and The Mouse and the Motorcycle (and sequels) were also hits here.

Homer Price (as mentioned above) and Centerburg Tales (the follow-up book) would be my first picks for your crew.  

How about Winnie-The-Pooh and House at Pooh Corner?  This series one of the first longer books we generally read to our kids (all girls, but I'd think they would appeal at least as much to boys). Sarah Plain and Tall might work well, also. I agree that Dick King-Smith, Beverly Cleary, and E.B. White would be wonderful (any of their books). 

We're just getting started with longer read alouds here so these are great suggestions.  I stared with Charlotte's Web and my son is loving it.  He is also listening to a compilation of Beatrix Potter's works on audio cd and enjoying those.  I tried putting on How to Train Your Dragon and The Jungle Book on audio and he's not ready for those yet.  However, I kept listening to How to Train Your Dragon by myself while I worked on a lapbook project because I thought it was really cute.  :laugh:

My son has enjoyed Pippi Longstocking (we read 4 of the series), Owls in the Family, Nim's Island, Fortunately the Milk, Gooney Bird Greene, Flora and Ulysses (maybe wait on that one), and is now doing Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. He either reads along with the audiobook or reads along while I narrate.

We have queued up:

Mary Poppins

Mr. Popper's Penguins

101 Dalmatians

Bed knobs and Broomsticks

The Candy Shop War

One and Only Ivan

The Waterhorse

Definitely Henry Huggins. Also, The Mouse and the Motorcycle and its sequels.

Narnia, at least The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Paddington

Wayside School books

maybe The Hobbit? Maybe in a couple more years?

The Cricket in Times Square

Anything by Carolyn Haywood, although these are also good chapter books for new readers

My kids all loved Mr. Popper's Penguins, especially my preschooler.

The first couple of Little House books, especially if you watch the youtube videos that correspond to them, are fun for boys, as is Farmer Boy.

When they're a wee bit older, the 68 Rooms series is a lot of fun. The Westing Game too, but in a few years. Also, my oldest son adored Treasure Island at about 6-7, but I know my DH had to stop to explain things, so ymmv. And my kids lovelovelove the Percy Jackson series. Maybe in a couple of years, especially if you study Greek mythology some first.