Menu

Lingering cough since before Christmas

Excelsior! Academy

My son had one like that for weeks starting before Thanksgiving. Then a week before Christmas he got the flu. The doctor thinks the original cough was bacterial bronchitis and put him on antibiotic. If your cough lingers you might want to get checked.

I am considering going in again tomorrow.  I have already gone once and was told I probably had had the flu.  No test was given as the office was closing early. 

A lingering cough should be evaluated. You simply said "before Christmas" not how long. Do you have other cold symptoms still or is it just the cough? In the midst of many benign options is also the possibility of lung cancer. A lingering cough is one of the symptoms. A woman in our church in her early 30s, never a smoker, got it. A lingering cough following a cold was her first symptom and doctors put it off as "nothing to be worried about" for quite a while (like months) . So, while it likely is just an aggravation and nothing to worry about, I would ask your doctor to please rule that out if the other cold symptoms have gone away. So I don't want to worry you, but I wish someone had told that young mother that was a possibility so that she had pushed for an explanation.

My kids had a horrible cough that wouldn't go away. This is what finally worked for us: Sambucus elderberry syrup (about every 2 hours) and Fenu-thyme (around every 2-3 hours) and Matys vapor rub. The combination of those three things made the most difference for my kids. And once they started to feel better I had to keep giving them the elderberry and Fenu-thyme for a couple days or else it would come back. A couple times a day I would also put a drop or two of oregano oil in the elderberry and we also used Umcka. At the first sign of illness now I give out elderberry, Fenu-thyme, or Umcka.

I hope you feel better soon. Lingering coughs are the worst. My poor kids could hardly sleep at night because of the cough. I didn't realize they were coming down with something until the cough had settled in, and it's so hard to get rid of once that's happened.

This happened to me two years ago.  When I finally went to my internist, it was considered serious enough following a chest X-ray  that I was given an injection of an antibiotic in my bum (never had that happen in 45 years), as well as a strong prescription, and the requirement to come back in 10 days for follow up.

My kids each had a bad cough that lasted 2 1/2 weeks that cleared up on it's own. They never had a fever or otherwise acted sick (other than some upper respiratory congestion). Locally it's been so cold and dry, I think some of these things are just taking longer to clear up. Hope you get it cleared up soon.

I was going to say if you DID have the flu it can take many weeks for the cough to fully clear. Were you down hard for a full week at the beginning with fever, body aches, sore throat, head ache, going to die feeling? I had full blown flu last year at Christmas time and it took 3-4 weeks for that cough to resolve fully.

A lingering cough should be evaluated. You simply said "before Christmas" not how long. Do you have other cold symptoms still or is it just the cough? In the midst of many benign options is also the possibility of lung cancer. A lingering cough is one of the symptoms. A woman in our church in her early 30s, never a smoker, got it. A lingering cough following a cold was her first symptom and doctors put it off as "nothing to be worried about" for quite a while (like months) . So, while it likely is just an aggravation and nothing to worry about, I would ask your doctor to please rule that out if the other cold symptoms have gone away. So I don't want to worry you, but I wish someone had told that young mother that was a possibility so that she had pushed for an explanation.

Um, you are scaring me.    :scared: