Menu

Anyone have a tested video or blog link to making milk kefir?

FloridaLisa

One of my 2014 goals is to finally incorporate more cultured foods into our diet.  I'd like to begin making kefir at home.  We already make homemade crockpot yogurt, but from what I've read, kefir is like yogurt on steroids.  So if you've used a video tutorial or blog to make kefir successfully, would you mind linking it here?  Also, any road-tested tips before I purchase my starter and get going?

Thanks!

Lisa

It's not really that hard.  You put the grains in milk on your counter, wait a couple of days until it looks goopy, strain the grains and put them in the new batch.   To make kefir you will need the kefir "grains" not a powder. 

Everything you could possibly want to know about it can be found here:

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

However, don't get lost in the minutiae.  It really is just as simple as what I wrote above.

It's not really that hard.  You put the grains in milk on your counter, wait a couple of days until it looks goopy, strain the grains and put them in the new batch.   To make kefir you will need the kefir "grains" not a powder. 

Everything you could possibly want to know about it can be found here:

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

However, don't get lost in the minutiae.  It really is just as simple as what I wrote above.

Yep, it is very easy.   We've been culturing kefir for over a  year now, and I've been able to share grains with people many times.  I didn't buy my grains there but Cultures for Health has a lot of information on their website too. 

Okay, a few follow-up questions?  

• how much does your family use and how often do you make it?
  • do you use it in smoothies?  any other recipes?
  • I've heard it's super sour. Do your kids enjoy it?

Thanks!  I'm excited to finally order from Cultures for Health, after putting it off this last year. 

Lisa

I haven't made it in a long time but I used to try to keep about a quart at a time going. In my kitchen at the time, it used to take about 3 days to ferment and then after straining, I'd put it in the fridge and start a new batch with the grains.   Only 2 members in our family can even have dairy.    So each of them would drink a cup of it or so for breakfast, no recipes, just straight.    My son loved it, but he drinks buttermilk instead of regular milk so I don't know if that's a good one to base that off of whether kids like it, lol.  

My kids don't really like it; my husband and I use it, mostly.  My kids do sometimes put it in smoothies.  We use it in spurts, sometimes going through a quart every two days, and sometimes going a week or more without using any.  I just let it "rest" in the fridge if I don't want to use it for a time.  (When you buy you should get detailed instructions for that too.)

My favorite way to use it is in my homemade muesli.  I mix them together in a bowl and let it sit for at least a half hour (sometimes overnight) before eating.  It is a delicious breakfast in my opinion.  No one in my family shares thst opinion lol.

Oh, my husband made a discovery you may find helpful.  I stored the cultured kefir in the fridge in a mason jar covered with a plastic lid.  He noticed that after a few days it developed an acetone smell.  I started using a paper towel secured with a rubber band instead of the plastic lid, and it seems to last better without developing that smell. 

Oh, my husband made a discovery you may find helpful.  I stored the cultured kefir in the fridge in a mason jar covered with a plastic lid.  He noticed that after a few days it developed an acetone smell.  I started using a paper towel secured with a rubber band instead of the plastic lid, and it seems to last better without developing that smell. 

I've heard that using a coffee filter similarly to the paper towel gets the same results.

There is really nothing to it. Put milk in container with keifer "cauliflower", wait, strain. I must say that even though you don't have to, washing the jar before you fill it up again with milk keeps the taste more mild. My kids don't care for it but also don't notice it in smoothies or banana milk. The piece of keifer grows too so you can give some to a friend after awhile.