Menu

Math....can I find something like this??

ProudGrandma

I am looking for a basic math program that teaches math the "old" way...straight and simple...nothing fancy...just straight forward...the way I was taught 40 years ago.  can I find something like that?

the reason I am looking for this is because right before we left for our Christmas vacation I was working on percentages with my daughter....and the way MM explained it to her...completely confused and frustrated her....HOWEVER in the car, my husband was giving her questions and was explaining how to find the answer in a very simple, straight forward way and SHE GOT IT!  There was no "this is WHY you do it this way"..just this is how you do it...in 3 steps or less....and my husband said that this is how he learned it when he was in grade school...so I want to find books like that.  Do they exist anymore?

Strayer-Upton starts with grade 3, but accommodates student with no previous formal math instruction. It was quite common at the turn of the century to delay formal arithmetic. Grades 1 and 2 were busy busy busy, but there were different priorities. More attention was paid to efficiency of teaching, and developmental readiness was a hot topic. Charlotte Mason, and Waldorf, and Montessori, were not trend setters.

There was a Strayer-Upton grade 1-2 book, and I have an old copy. It's quite slim, and many of the pages are reprinted in the grade 3-4 book. The grade 3-4 book is red and called book 1, and truly can be used as book 1.

The Amish have study guides written for this series of books. I wish I could get ahold of one.

I've fallen in love with the Learn Math Fast books.

I think math is a personal area for both the parent and child, making it hard to choose a program. The vintage books are fine, but I have limited attention spans for certain writing styles, so does my eldest. Whilst I liked MM, she didn't. Then again, I was basically introducing/explaining whatever concept it was, which she liked/understood, she just didn't like the worksheets.

So other than the vintage texts people list here, I can offer four options, that have personally hooked me:

Learn Math Fast: (Terrible Name, but the math is explained simply & easily, I was actually looking to get it as an extra (my eldest is doing TT) to re-inforce/explain stuck concepts (my brain can only stretch so far these days, so any reference is helpful) plus the later ones for me, to brush up on my math.

Mathematics: An Instrument for Living Teaching by SImply Charlotte Mason. I love this book, its what I am using with my youngest. I think the way things are written just coincide with the way I think + give these amazing tips and ideas that I never thought of. This book is enabling me to be a better teacher.

Math on the Level I didn't really mesh with the way Carlita explained stuff in the books, BUT I think her system and ideas are fantastic, I just can't use her concept explanations, but it allowed me to make my own program and feel like I was ticking all the boxes, keeping an eye on each childs math, and being able to keep up with their math through DIabetic sick days, mommies CFS drama days, and all of the medical appointments. The framework and program is brilliant. I am currently selling mine (in Aus) but would be keeping it if we weren't moving internationally. Unfortunately I need to get down to the absolute minimum in physical items and since I wasn't using the concept explanations, it didn't seem worth it to keep all the spiral books = sad panda :(

Maximum Math by Kathryn Stout. I have her ebook and love it, its simple, to the point and gives all that you need. Plus includes checkboxes....I love checkboxes, rofl. I am not using it much right now. I will probably use it more from next year as a checklist for all the kids, to make sure I am covering all the basics since they are all doing completely separate/different programs (I gave up trying to have my kids doing the same math curricula, as they are each completely different children.) But if something happened to change our circumstances, I could definitely just use this.

This is all stuff from my view, and I've had a number of math curricula in my posession but the above ones are ones I like for ease of use and the concept introductions.

Eclectic Mum, I like a lot of these, but most don't come in eBook, unfortunately. I bought Math on the Level, just before I needed to get more mobile. I have never used it, but like the looks of it.

I e-mailed Learn Math Fast. They have no interest in the eBook market.