Menu

Help! Feeding nine guests!

PIE!

I just found out that Saturday and Sunday we'll be having 9 guests! I've known about two of them for about a month, then a lot of others suddenly decided to come along. Only two will be staying at our house (there is not room for anyone else unless they want to sleep on the kitchen floor), but I'm pretty sure I'll be feeding breakfast, lunch, and dinner to all of them, plus the seven of us already living here. I figure we'll get pizza Saturday night, but what about those other five meals? I don't want to spend the whole time in the kitchen.

And on a side note, the two we originally planned on having over will be with us for a week, and they are big eaters. Again, I don't want to spend their whole visit in the kitchen. But I want to make sure they stay fed, so I'll need plenty for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.

So please hit me with your best and easiest food for a crowd. Healthy and cheap would be nice bonuses.

First: you need to decide whether you *want* to feed these people, because if you just feel like you must, just because they chose to show up near/at your house, near/at various mealtimes... Re-think that, eh. Sure, you can if you want to, but you don't have to. 9 guests aren't just something that happens to you. Either you choose it, or they find their own sources of sustenance.

As for doing the trick:

Breakfast: giant pot of oats (or multiple pots) with raisins, milk & sugar.

Lunch: eggs, lots of ways (1 way per day) complimented with bread & spreads, carrots and apples

Suppers:

1. giant pot of rice, serve with saucy meat (ie sweet & sour pork) done in the crock pot, frozen veggie sides.

2. Giant pot of pasta, tomato & meat sauce

3. Chili

Don't pay for pizza. That 's so much to pay for.

Soup.  Soup.  Soup.  My faves for a crowd are chili, chicken and rice, minestrone and lentil soup.  For feeding a crowd, I believe that soups are the most cost-effective route.  

Salad, fresh veggies that are pre-cut and kept in a container.

Sloppy joes are an affordable way to serve out a meat sandwich type thing.

Another thing that is affordable and goes a LONG way is to cook up a bunch of chicken pieces in a  crock pot with a jar of salsa.  Serve the pulled chicken meat on corn tortillas with a little melted cheese.  I have regularly used that to serve 18+ people.  

Taco/tortilla tex-mex.

breakfast… make up breakfast burritos or breakfast egg sandwiches.  Can pre make them, wrap and freeze and just reheat.  Don't have to include meat, can just be egg and cheese…add in veggies if you have them or whatever.    Can also do a big breakfast casserole…either egg and cheese…or a French toast one that you make the night before.

lunch…soup and bread… personally, i love a nice loaded baked potato soup, but do what you like. If you had turkey for Christmas, make turkey frame soup…serve with crackers or bread.

sandwiches…make your own… can be grilled cheese, pb&j, deli meats, egg salad, whatever you like.  Serve with fruit or chips or whatever works for you!

dinner… nachos or tacos for one night.  Easy peasy.  

Pioneer Woman does this great recipe for chicken legs that everybody I know loves.   Serve with mashed potatoes, something green.  

Crock pot of BBQ chicken or BBQ beef or sloppy joes for sandwiches.

Make a big ol' Texas Sheet Cake or something similar for dessert…or maybe one of those magic hot fudge cakes.  Serve with ice cream.

self serve breakfast and lunch - keep it simple

possible dinners:

chili

pulled pork sandwiches (pork shoulder - half a costco package, slow roasted very low for around 14 hrs; pull and serve with buns and bbq sauce and maybe salad)

burgers and dogs

grilled chicken tenders (marinate in lime, olive oil, cumin, salt) with rice and black beans

whatever else you can find at costco that you like (e.g. lasagna?)   :)

Don't forget you can ask people to bring stuff.  Most will be happy to. :)

Could you bring a coffee cake or some breakfast baked goods?

Hey, don't you live near a Sam's? Can you pick up two Rotisserie Chickens and bring them? (They're only $5.)

Could you bring some fruit to share?

Etc.  You don't have to do it all!

Breakfast - oatmeal in the crockpot with some fresh fruit on the side

Lunch or Supper

Turkeys and hams are still on sale here I would do one or both for dinner Saturday.

Spaghetti

taco bar

sloppy joes

scalloped potatoes and ham

lasagna

pulled pork sandwiches

sub sandwiches

burgers and hotdogs on the grill (there is someone in every crowd that loves to grill in the cold :rolleyes: )

shredded beef in gravy over rice

When my extended family gets together we tend to have a large meal at 1 or 1:30 then a light supper. 

I will have 11 to feed next week, so I feel your pain!!

We're having for lunch/dinner -

Pizza froma local joint eaten at home (kid's favorite)

Turkey soup (made today and freezing), rolls, salad

Turkey pot pies (again, made glob but will bake next week), salad

Baked potato bar

Spaghetti and meat sauce

Taco bar