Menu

Recommend knitting needles set?

Kinspired

My dd13 learned to crochet in the last year and has made jewelry, dresses, sweaters, etc, since. Now, she'd like to learn to knit. Any recommendations for knitting needles for her? Maybe a set she can grow into? She's a beginner but gets into things passionately rather quickly.

TIA!

The circular set above is good. Circular needles can be used for knitting flat and are great for big projects. When she gets to knitting in the round they'll be good for that as well. A set of double pointed needles would be good as well for knitting in the round and smaller projects.

If you don't want to spend much remember that were just talking about pointy sticks and so a selection of aluminum straight needles from a dollar store will work just fine. I have plastic, bamboo, steel and aluminum needles and I still go back to the dollar store straights for some projects. It depends on what I'm knitting and what fibre I'm knitting it with.

I've heard a few podcasters speak favorable about Chiao Goo needles and HiyaHiya. I don't have any experience with either of these, though.

I do have the Knit Picks Harmony set. I like it but don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would. The "old" cables are excellent--no memory, so they open flat when you pull them out of the package. The newer cables aren't as nice. I don't know if the new Caspian cables are like the old or new Harmony cables.

I like the Harmony 6" dpn set.

Otherwise I've been picking up new needles as needed at Joann with a coupon. They have Clover bamboo needles. The tips are kind of blunt which are fine for plain knitting but can be a bit difficult when knitting 2 stitches together. Knit Picks has very pointy tips. Some people say they're too pointy and they stab themselves. Anyway, Joann also has metal needles but I find bamboo works better for me.

I just re-read the OP. Since your dd will be a beginner you might consider a very basic set like Knit Picks' Try It Set. It would work well on worsted weight yarns and she could see if she likes metal or wood as there is one of each kind in the set. I would hold off on getting a set right away until she decides whether she likes knitting and then what type of needles she prefers.