Menu

Book Rec for 17 year old girl

ChrisB

She likes a good love story, but it isn't necessary if the story is awesome.   :bigear:  TIA

Any deal-breakers for language, other-world/fantasy, subject matter? Diamond is a voracious reader, but is also very picky. I can ask her for some recommendations...  just want to know if there is anything to avoid. For example, how much detail is OK in the 'love' part of the story?  Diamond doesn;t mind knowing 'that' something happened, but she really does not want to read through a 4-page detailed description of every slobbering kiss and whatnot, KWIM?

Any deal-breakers for language, other-world/fantasy, subject matter? Diamond is a voracious reader, but is also very picky. I can ask her for some recommendations...  just want to know if there is anything to avoid. For example, how much detail is OK in the 'love' part of the story?  Diamond doesn;t mind knowing 'that' something happened, but she really does not want to read through a 4-page detailed description of every slobbering kiss and whatnot, KWIM?

I would like to steer clear of vampires, other-world/fantasy, strong language.  I agree with Diamond that there is no need for the 4-page detailed description;something implied is fine, but I'd like to even avoid that if at all possible.  I guess I'm being picky for her....lol  

Here are some recommendations from Diamond: :seeya:

Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth (has only read the first two) (Dystopian, but on earth- less violent than Hunger Games)

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Carter House Girls series by Carlson- in the Christian fiction series

Sweet Seasons, 4 book series by Debbie Viguié, also Christian fiction

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer Smith was a nice, quick, light romance that I enjoyed.  Nothing earth shattering OR inappropriate if I recall.  :)

I asked my dd18 and she recommended Origin by Jessica Khoury.  She just discovered that there is a companion book to that and is happy to have found it!

I also recommend Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater; Raven Boys was pretty good, too...more than just a romance.  I haven't read the other(s?) that come next, though.

If Sci-Fi is OK, I absolutely love the Pure trilogy by Julianna Baggott.  (Pure, Fuse, Burn are the titles.)

Fantasy?  My dd really enjoyed The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making By Catherynne Valente (and the subsequent books...and other books she's written...LOL)  Again, not solely a romance at all, but it has some in the storylines.

So, except for the first, we pretty much avoid straight romances. Hope that's OK!