Menu

Did you know Elizabeth Edwards homeschools?

If *all* of your dc's classes are outsourced, then you're not hsing. If *all* of your dc's classes are taught by a tutor in your home, you're not hsing.

A tutor or an outside class for a couple of subjects is one thing; it's another when *all* of them are taught by someone other than the parents.

I can definitely agree with the premise that a parent needs to spend some measure of time in one on on teaching with their child to fulfill the definition of homeschooling. I've just gotten the impression from some posts in this thread that to use a tutor *at all* equates to something other than homeschooling and it is with that notion that I disagree.

We happen to not "outsource" or hire a "tutor" for *all* of our dds' classes. Yet, I still wonder about this approach to defining homeschooling. It is clearly defined in our state's bylaws that the primary homeschooling parent must provide for 51% of the student's instruction. We are able to use tutors to the degree that we do and still comply with this ruling. Therefore, at least in the eyes of our state, we are homeschooling. I believe the reason for this rests in the fact that, as an example, dds' Latin tutor spends 1.5 hours with her/week. Certainly, her time devoted to the study of Latin far exceeds that.

If you base the definition of homeschooling on the number of subjects that utilize a tutor - where then, do you draw the line? With this mindset, do you see 1-2 tutored subjects withing the realm of homeschooling or 1-3, 1-4?

Referring back to my point in the first paragraph, personally, I see it is more a issue of how much *time* (rather than number of subjects) is spent under the instruction of another.....

In any case, what I see as a white animal with black stripes you may see as a black animal with white stripes and that is OK. What is important is whether or not our kids are getting a good education, yes? :)

I don't understand what the difference is between a private tutor and classes as regards the "homeschooling" title.

DD goes to art classes, gymnastics, and swimming. If there was a Latin tutor around here, I'd snatch them up ASAP. I still think I'd be a homeschooler - I'd just be fortunate enough to have good support.

Jen

In Mississippi, you are either in a ps, a private school or are homeschooled. If you hired a tutor for your child for all subjects, you would still be classified as a homeschooler in our state. (Of course, in MS we have no obligations once the enrollment card is filled out.:001_smile:)

I guess I am playing devil's advocate here. If, for instance, someone outsourced all subjects and/or used a dvd program for all subjects (to me this is outsourced because you are not doing the teaching), what would they be considered? a private school? a homeschool? Where I live, they would be a homeschool! If you are the "principal" of the school that holds the "tutors" accountable, why wouldn't you be a homeschool?

Through this thread, I am a liitle confused about what is legal for your state and what is personal opinion.

Paula

For the record, I teach everything but some enrichment courses, but to each his own!

If *all* of your dc's classes are outsourced, then you're not hsing. If *all* of your dc's classes are taught by a tutor in your home, you're not hsing.

A tutor or an outside class for a couple of subjects is one thing; it's another when *all* of them are taught by someone other than the parents.

Imho, if the parent gives the diploma, or pays a cover school/umbrella school to compile one, then your are a homeschooler. If you have to comply w/the hs regs for your state, even if you outsource, then you are a homeschooler.

If the ps gives the diploma then you aren't technically, in my book, a homeschooler, though you may do school at home and I will happily do activities w/you. To moi it's all a matter of legalities. And even then there are many, many gray areas. :001_smile:

But I guess it doesn't much matter to me but it almost weird how the homeschooling label has progressed - so many different people doing such hugely different things. Looks like pretty soon the only thing harder to define than "homeschooling" will be "unschooling". ;)

Georgia

Haven't read all the responses, but NC law is crazy.

The parent has to provide the primary instruction in the core subjects. It is illegal to use tutors or teachers for instruction in math, language arts, social studies, or science.

:001_huh:

How the heck do they deal w/dual enrollment here in NC? Taking a class taught at the CC totally conflicts w/ their definition of a homechool. Is it because they are over 16? I mean most people still report so the kid can drive and indeed you need that proof to do the dual enrollment anyway so aren't you still subject to the rules?

This makes no sense to me and has been driving me nuts for a while. But what do I know?;)

Georgia

I get it. I missed "all" in your original post.

Thanks for setting me straight.

How the heck do they deal w/dual enrollment here in NC? Taking a class taught at the CC totally conflicts w/ their definition of a homechool. Is it because they are over 16? I mean most people still report so the kid can drive and indeed you need that proof to do the dual enrollment anyway so aren't you still subject to the rules?

This makes no sense to me and has been driving me nuts for a while. But what do I know?;)

Georgia

Well, a kid does not have to be 16 to take college classes. When I asked this question, I was told that college classes were for credit, whereas homeschooling classes and private tutors not under the umbrella of a private school don't count as official "credit". I am not buying that answer, but that's the one I got.

I don't believe anyone is saying those of us who outsource, etc., are not good enough.

I think some people simply like to make a clear distinction between those things they believe fall under the category of homeschooling and those things that do not.

Not better or worse, just different.

:iagree: Exactly. Thank you.

For *me* it is not about all or not. If I'm not teaching the course, then I'm not homeschooling that course. That doesn't neccessarily mean I am not a homeschooler, just that I'm not homeschooling that subject.

Another example? If I take my kid to private school, I might still enroll them in a ballet class outside of the school. Neither the private school, nor I, have any claim to saying we "schooled" that ballet subject. To me the same thing applied with homeschooling.

I've just gotten the impression from some posts in this thread that to use a tutor *at all* equates to something other than homeschooling and it is with that notion that I disagree.

Using any outside source does not mean you aren't homeschooling the rest of the subjects. It just means you aren't hs-ing that particuliar subject.

Imho, if the parent gives the diploma, or pays a cover school/umbrella school to compile one, then your are a homeschooler. If you have to comply w/the hs regs for your state, even if you outsource, then you are a homeschooler.

I wouldn't agree with that. If for no other reason than that's no different than paying to send your kids to a private school and that school giving them a diploma. And in some states, the regs for homeschooling are being designed with the goal of making homeschoolers as much like the public schools as possible. Some homeschoolers might be okay with that because they like the benefits or it really doesn't affect them much, but many others view that attitude as a threat to over-all homeschooling freedoms.

it's all a matter of legalities. And even then there are many, many gray areas. :001_smile:

Indeed. It's those legalities that make some homeschoolers a bit leery of being willing to accept the notion that anyone who wants the title should use it. Because when the states make laws for homeschooling, they usually don't make them for different definitions - only one. But ALL homeschoolers have to deal with the consequences.

Again. I don't think anyone is a lesser parent for outsourcing a subject (tutor or whatever) or even for outsourcing it all and sending them to a public/private school. We all have to do what is right for our children. I just wish they woudl use a different term than homeschooling for subjects they aren't actually teaching.:)

Maybe "Customized Oursourced Education"?:D

Only because I'm feeling really misunderstood, if you read the first page of posts, the last one on page one in particular and then mine, maybe it will make sense.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48597

I was just being funny (or trying to anyway), now I feel like a complete dumb *ss. :001_huh:

Thank you! Now, I get it. Sorry, but I did not read that thread until now. Thank you.:001_smile:

[quote=Martha;455496 I just wish they woudl use a different term than homeschooling for subjects they aren't actually teaching.:)

But, see, I guess this is just where we will have to agree to disagree. The subjects that I have "outsourced" are being addressed by people who are able to accomplish but so much in the allotted time they have with my dd. In and of itself, it is not *enough*. Dh or I (depending upon the subject) make up the difference *at home*. (For instance, dh with an undergrad degree in Chemistry will most definitely be tutoring dd in Chemistry this year!! Shoot, it was only through his tutelage that *I* got my A in Chemistry, myself, in college! :tongue_smilie:).

Thus, though, these subjects are outsourced, they are *also* taught at home. With these subjects, it's not an all or none situation. We're not either outsourced or 100% teaching the material ourselves. It is the provision of our homeschool that dd has adjunct teaching in these areas but, ultimately, *we* (dh and I) carry the responsibility for seeing that the necessary material is covered. It is for all of these reasons that I maintain that *even these outsourced subjects* are, ultimately, under our homeschool umbrella.

LOL and a cook and a maid...:D

I was talking to a Philippino women at ballet tonight and she just came back from a 1 month stay with her family. She said it was really hard to come back after having 4 maids and 2 drivers taking care of everything. A live in maid is $50 per month there. If you don't hear from me, you will know I have packed my bags and moved to the Philippines. :D;)