Menu

Please share what you chose to use after Singapore 6B ...

tjlcc

Just thinking ahead. :)

There are many options out there, and I'm looking for some ideas and perspectives from people who have "been there and done that."

Please share what you chose for your children.  Do you have any regrets?

Thanks.

I'm not familiar with this, what does AoPS stand for?

The Art of Problem Solving:

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/

The Art of Problem Solving mathematics curriculum is specifically designed for high-performing math students ages 11-18. Our texts not only introduce key results of mathematics, but also teach students how to develop new ideas themselves and how to apply these ideas to challenging problems. In so doing, we help students learn the key problem solving skills needed for success in top universities and in the most competitive careers, as well as in major national programs like MATHCOUNTS and the American Mathematics Competitions.

This page explains what is special about it:

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Store/curriculum.php?mode=features

I am with snowbeltmom. Absolutely the best homeschool discovery for our family

Combo of Singapore Discovering Math 7 and Horizons Pre-Algebra. She still wasn't to where I wanted her to be on pre-algebra so I gave her the MEP years 7-9 diagnostic tests and am doing a quick run-through of selected units before moving on to DM 8. I'm probably being overly cautious because she did fine on the Iowa Algebra Readiness test and the math portion of the 8th grade ITBS I had her take last spring. But while she can solve straightforward equations easy-peasy, she still struggles with word problems. IRL, math typically comes in the form of a word problem rather than an equation so I want to make sure that she gets enough practice solving word problems.

Combo of Singapore Discovering Math 7 and Horizons Pre-Algebra. She still wasn't to where I wanted her to be on pre-algebra so I gave her the MEP years 7-9 diagnostic tests and am doing a quick run-through of selected units before moving on to DM 8. I'm probably being overly cautious because she did fine on the Iowa Algebra Readiness test and the math portion of the 8th grade ITBS I had her take last spring. But while she can solve straightforward equations easy-peasy, she still struggles with word problems. IRL, math typically comes in the form of a word problem rather than an equation so I want to make sure that she gets enough practice solving word problems.

Will you continue with Singapore all the way through?

I am planning on the 1960s Dolciani Pre Algebra and Algebra for my daughter who is good at math but doesn't love it, and would not enjoy the challenge of AoPS. My son will most likely enjoy AoPS when he gets to that point. My daughter should finish up Singapore 6 sometime in January, so we haven't actually used it yet, but I have read through them and think they will be a good fit.

Will you continue with Singapore all the way through?

She will most likely be enrolling in private high school (either B&M or online) after 8th. My goal is to have her start at Algebra 2, which means completing DM 8 and the geometry portion of DM 3. Even if we continue HS, I probably will need to outsource Algebra 2 & up because I don't feel confident in my ability to teach the more advanced topics in secondary math.

I am planning on the 1960s Dolciani Pre Algebra and Algebra for my daughter who is good at math but doesn't love it, and would not enjoy the challenge of AoPS. My son will most likely enjoy AoPS when he gets to that point. My daughter should finish up Singapore 6 sometime in January, so we haven't actually used it yet, but I have read through them and think they will be a good fit.

Is there a reason why you're using the 1960s edition? Is this like Writing Road to Reading, where the 4th edition is the best one?

I am looking ahead to pre-algebra options. As disappointing as it is, dd8's personality is not suited to AoPS. Hopefully I'll have better luck with my other two.

Is there a reason why you're using the 1960s edition? Is this like Writing Road to Reading, where the 4th edition is the best one?

I am looking ahead to pre-algebra options. As disappointing as it is, dd8's personality is not suited to AoPS. Hopefully I'll have better luck with my other two.

The 1960s version includes set theory, the later versions dropped it. It explains the theory behind the math better than the later versions.

Thank you for your replies everyone.  :)

She will most likely be enrolling in private high school (either B&M or online) after 8th. My goal is to have her start at Algebra 2, which means completing DM 8 and the geometry portion of DM 3. Even if we continue HS, I probably will need to outsource Algebra 2 & up because I don't feel confident in my ability to teach the more advanced topics in secondary math.

Have you found DM to be time-consuming on your part or can your daughter do it independently (for the most part)?

We finished SM6b in the summer before 5th grade and then did Galore Park SYRWL Maths 2  in 5th and now Maths 3 in 6th, along with Zaccaro and CWP 5 and 6 and Keys to Algebra.  Next year in 7th we'll officially do Algebra, though she's really mastered almost all of first year algebra already.  Still, I'm glad we've been taking our time!

Thank you for your replies everyone.   :)

Have you found DM to be time-consuming on your part or can your daughter do it independently (for the most part)?

DD has been able to work more independently in DM than she did in Primary Math. I don't know if it's a maturity thing, an algebra makes more sense to her thing (I was that way in math), or whether DM has more of the explanations in the textbook.