Menu

Musicals and Plays on DVD

Rush

We watched part of a Pinocchio production by Opera North (not the Disney, but you could watch that one). Annie is a little scary, I turned that off. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Mary Poppins, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, something with Shirley Temple, ...?

My kids like La Traviata and the Magic Flute, too!

I think this list has some reasonable suggestions to consider

http://www.broadwaymusicalhome.com/shows/kid-friendly.htm

At that age we loved:

• The Sound of Music
  • The Wizard of Oz
  • Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat
  • Cinderella by Rodgers & Hammerstein
  • The King and I by Rodgers & Hammerstein
  • Jesus Christ Superstar
  • Meet me in St. Louis
  • Some Shirley Temple films
  • West Side Story
  • Probably others that don't come to mind...

We do a new musical every term.  Usually they're Broadway musicals, but not always.

We've done:

Sound of Music

King and I

Mary Poppins

Hans Christian Andersson

Annie Get Your Gun

HMS Pinafore

Cinderella

Peter Pan

Godspell

(We've also done Wicked, The Secret Garden, and Big River, but those aren't available on DVD)

On the list for the future I have:

My Fair Lady

Gigi

Once Upon a Mattress

Camelot

Pippin

Children of Eden (no DVD though)

West Side Story

Fiddler on the Roof

:)

I watched Singin' in the Rain recently for the first time. I had no idea of the plot -- I am not entirely sure a kid would find this interesting. (I did, however.) But the idea of the ethics of lipsynching, I don't know, would kids be interested in that?  What do you think? Then again, one of my kids cried during Willy Wonka, so what do I know.

I watched Singin' in the Rain recently for the first time. I had no idea of the plot -- I am not entirely sure a kid would find this interesting. (I did, however.) But the idea of the ethics of lipsynching, I don't know, would kids be interested in that?  What do you think? Then again, one of my kids cried during Willy Wonka, so what do I know.

I'm not sure DD got much out of the way of the whole ethics of lip syncing, but she really loved the musical numbers when she was 3-4. She still likes to watch it, just not as frequently.

Oh, and other musicals I forgot to mention in the previous post:

The Music Man

Brigadoon (I think DD likes Gene Kelly)

Annie

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Pirates of Penzance (more me than DD)

And it's not really a "musical" but DD loved the DVD of Peter and Wolf we had when she was 4ish. 

FYI, I wouldn't say JCS or Pippin are appropriate for younger kids.

The 39 lashes and crucifixion in JCS are tough. I used to skip side 4 or the LP because of it.

Pippin is great, but the end goal of the players is suicide...and the orgy scene is a bit much for young kids IMO (everyone is clothed but you may want to avoid questions).

Damn Yankees

Bye bye birdie

Hans Christian Andersen

White Christmas

Court Jester (great!)

Merry Andrew

Blast (drum corps...my son loved it at young age and would drum along on the coffee table!)

Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat

I had a similar response.  I watched it with my kids when they were 4 or 5.  They actually liked it more than I did, and they asked to watch it a few times after that.  But, I did not include that in the list of recommendations, because it really didn't seem kid friendly to me at all.  My kids might be weird.

I also didn't include Easter Bonnet, which a friend of mine said was her favorite musical for all ages.  My kids like it all right, but I can hardly stand it.  ;)

Oh, and Oklahoma was a little too brutal for my kids.  They did watch it, but if I had it to do over, I would have postponed that one.