Menu

need side dish suggestions

HollyDay

Dds have a high school Christmas party to attend next Sunday from 5pm to 7:30pm.  The hosts are providing pizza and drinks.  Dds are supposed to bring a side dish (and white elephant gift) each.  Saturday dds are singing in a Christmas concert that will take up all afternoon.  We have church on Sunday that will tie us up until about 1 pm.  So I need to be prepared with something quick to put together or make ahead of time.

I need 2 side dishes that are quick and easy to make, transport easily, and highschooler friendly.  Last year oldest took spinach dip in bread bowls.   That would be fine for one of the side dishes.  I wish I could send something easy like brownies or cookies, but it is one of the alphabet things (first half alphabet bring dessert, 2nd half side dish). 

The dish needs to be sent as it will be placed on the table.  IE no need to mix ingredients or shift into serving bowls.  And I really want it easy to transport.  They are carpooling to the event and I don't want something hot and liquidly spilling everywhere on everyone. 

Please give me some suggestions.  I'm drawing a blank on this one

Taco Rollups

Mix

1 package of cream cheese (1/3 less fat is fine) softened

1 can refried beans

1 packet taco seasoning mix

Warm up flour tortillas in microwave 1 at a time for about 8 seconds and the spread with the cream cheese mixture. Then sprinkle with finely shredded taco or cheddar cheese and roll up.

Chill. You can then cut these into 1 inch rolls or cut into 1/3s for a larger piece. Serve with salsa if you want.

Very easy to make up the night before and a hit at all of our 4H teen activities.

Chips--very easy, cheap, will get eaten--not the healthiest

or

Fruit--healthy, will probably get eaten--not so cheap. I would go with whole cutie tangerines or grapes cut into sections of 6 or so grapes based on what's seasonal and appealing here.

I'm also a bit of a potluck rebel and would have no guilt or second thoughts about sending one girl with cookies and one with a side dish.