Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week forty nine

Robin M

Came across this tonight and had to link to it:  10 Australian Books to read before you die

Don't lie on your death bed regretting you never read 'A Harp in the South.' Remember this moment when you read my advice not to read it. 

:p

I've also just started the first few pages of A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute.

Now that is worth reading.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rosie and Stacia -- I just clicked the link for A town like Alice and am glad I did. I had mistakenly thought it was a history of Alice Springs which I knew did not appeal to me right now. Just shows one can't judge a book by the title! :lol: My library only has the cd for this one currently availiable and would prefer a hardcopy. Putting it on next year's list.

Robin -- I have been thinking about your question regarding planning for next year. I probably won't have finished any of my original goals fot this year unless my stack contains an accidental Antarctica setting which would amaze me. I am not too bothered by my lack of success because I have enjoyed myself and been introduced to many novels that I never would have tried without you and this group.

When I looked at the proposed challenges the ones that interest me the most are "52 books around the world" and the "1001 books by century before you die". The 1001 simply because it can be accomplised if my goal is one a century. The 52 because I am fascinated by Elaina's list. Stacia has a petty good one too! I have no idea where many of my books for this year were set so recording that is a minimum goal for me. ;)

I love your mini challenges so please keep doing those! I hope to complete a few more next year.

I like the idea of reading a book from each century. I looked at the list of mini challenges and it looks like I hit about half of them this year without trying too hard. I've already started making a list for next year so I'll be looking for things to fit the challenges and my own tastes. I'm going to try to diversify even more. This year was a great branching out year with the continental challenge.

Perhaps this is function of always having lived in the southwestern quadrant of the US, but I have never heard of St. Nicholas Day and no one in my family has ever found goodies in a shoe on December 6th.   A scorpion perhaps, but no goodies!  

(Well, actually we rarely get scorpions in this house, but it sounded good as a comparison to treats and such!)

I grew up on the east coast and didn't hear of it until I was an adult. In fact, I was raised Roman Catholic and we never celebrated Saint Anyone's Day. We did leave our Christmas tree up until the Epiphany though. We were shocked when we moved to Florida and people took their trees down the day after Christmas.

I'm working on BAW 2014 plans.   At this point, we will be continuing with well educated mind, another round of dusty/chunky books, and 5/5/5 challenges.    Will be throwing in a couple months of rereading and visiting old friends.  Considering Nobel Prize Literature winners or another round of reading around the world.  Are there any readalongs, categories, or mini challenges you'd like to see for the new year?  Here's the list of assorted mini's we had this year - don't think we did them all. 

I didn't do well with the challenges this year, and don't even remember which ones I was going to join, other than dusty books. I have been looking at what I want to read for 2014 though. Some are carryovers from this year that I never got around to reading.

Came across this tonight and had to link to it:  10 Australian Books to read before you die

Plus  What were we reading 30 years ago - 1983's 10 Best Selling books.

The Book Thief is the only one on the Australia list I've read. I would put that on an Australian authors list rather than Australian books. Australia plays a tiny part in the book. I read several on the 1983 list, but not in 1983. :)