Menu

How do you handle breakfast with house guests. . .

Pegasus

who get up hours later than your family?  Do you just wait and all have breakfast together once everyone is up, even if the early risers have stomachs growling?  Do you cook twice?  Do you let house guests "fend for themselves" if they are not at the table at your usual mealtimes?

Just curious how other people handle this situation.  I've been trying to take a middle ground by not cooking breakfast as early as I normally would. . .but still had the meal cooked, eaten, and the kitchen cleaned up this morning by the time the last sleepy-head arose.

Our most frequent house guest is an early riser who likes to cook breakfast. She usually has cooked, eaten, fed my one early riser, and is relaxing by the time the rest of us wake up. I usually just buy stuff I know she likes, or we prep stone sort of overnight dish like crockpot oatmeal, an egg strata, or a baked French toast. Late risers reheat, or make their own bagels.

If your guests sleep late enough, they can have lunch for breakfast. How early ARE you eating breakfast anyway?

We've had the same issue this week. I've mostly had everyone fend for themselves, but the real problem has been that my boys and I are ready for lunch hours earlier than our guests. It's been better today because the fridge is full of leftovers and that's all we're eating today, except for getting tamales for dinner tonight. Everyone has been eating whatever they want, whenever they want, and they all know we're having tamales at 6:30 so they can plan accordingly.

We'd follow our Saturday eating pattern: anyone up before 11:00ish helps themselves to on-hand items (cereal, toast, fruit, yogurt, nuts) -- once everyone arrives in the land of the living we celebrate with a cooked breakfast/brunch. It's the only day that we actually have a cooked breakfast, but to the early risers it's basically an early lunch. (Then we have a light afternoon lunch and an ordinary supper.)

I haven't been in a situation like this lol... but in our family, breakfast isn't something that we cook or eat together.  So everyone just does it themselves - usually cereal or a granola bar or something.

Granted, the only houseguests we ever have are my grandparents.  That's also usually the only place we ever stay away from home.  When they are at our house, I set my alarm for 8 so that I'm half awake enough to be able to hear when the kids/they get up.  I don't even eat breakfast usually, but I don't like to be in bed way after everyone else has gotten up.  I usually will still jump in the shower before I go out and say anything, though.  At their house, I wake up before they do (probably because of my internal clock, bc it's exactly the time I 'naturally' wake up at home, it just seems earlier there).  DH and I usually help the kids get breakfast or whatever if they want to.

I wouldn't worry about it.  I would just have something that was easily grab and go for everyone - muffins or something. 

We eat European breakfast that is not cooked: bread, rolls, cheese, jam, yoghurt, cereal. If I have house guests who get up later, we eat at the normal time and have the table set and the food on the table for them to breakfast whenever they choose to get up.

My house guests are always free to fix them selves food and help themselves to whatever is in the fridge.