Menu

I need to make mashed potatoes ahead of time and transport to T-day dinner. Question inside.

unsinkable

I usually make mashed potatoes "fresh" but this year my SIL wants everything made ahead, ready-to-go, except for reheating.

If you have made the recipe for make ahead mashed potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese, have you ever put them in the Crock pot immediately after making them?

I'm torn between doing that right before we leave for her house Thurs OR making them Wed. night then reheated them at her house.

Urgh.

Any preferences between the two choices...make ahead Wed. Night vs make and crockpot Thurs. ???

UPDATE:

Thanks so much for all the advice!

Here's what I did:

I did everything Wed. Night that I needed to get done, except the potatoes. It got too late and I was tired.

So Thurs. I made breakfast, did morning things, etc and was still trying to decide what to do. Next thing I knew, it was within 2 hours of our ETD. So I got started peeling and chopping.

And here is an icky yucky gaggy part...2 of the biggest potatoes in the 5lb bag were rotten and moldy. I had just bought the bag Tues, but a stock boy brought it out of the back for me cuz there were none out front. I usually carefully check to avoid this very gag-inducing situation! But since he went and got me the bag, I didn't want to look like a jerk and pick over it.

So, with what seemed like a pound of potatoes in the garbage, I decided to make regular mashed in case the recipe proportions would be too off. Once they were done, I put them in a warmed casserole dish, wrapped it with newspapers and kitchen towels and put it in an insulated bag.

I microwaveed them briefly before they were served...and the whole casserole-ful was eaten! Which made me feel like I didn't have enough and I was thinking of the stupid rotten ones...

I've done mashed potatoes in the crockpot. The problem is that dairy breaks down after 3-4 hours in the crock, and so they started to taste overcooked after a while. I've done Giada de Laurentis's make ahead potatoes. They reheat in the oven and come out pretty well. I still prefer standard old homemade mashed potatoes, so I think I'd make ahead and reheat. Maybe cook the potatoes, then reheat and mash just before the meal, so they don't get overworked.

Refrigerator Mashed Potatoes Recipe

5 pounds potatoes, paired and quartered (9 large)
2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese (I don’t think they carry these anymore in this size, so I just use a regular package minus a bit)
1 cup dairy sour cream
2 teaspoons onion salt (this is optional for my household. I often just use more regular salt)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons butter or margarine

Cook potatoes in boiling salted water in dutch oven until tender. Drain well.
Mash until smooth.
Add cream cheese, sour cream, onion salt, salt, pepper, and butter. Beat with whisk or potatoe masher (I use my Bosch) until smooth and fluffy.

Place in refrigerator container. Cool and cover.

Recommended storage time: Two weeks.

To Serve: Place desired amount of potatoes in greased casserole. Dot with butter and bake in 350 degree oven 30 minutes or until heated through. If you use the full amount, heat in 2 quart casserole.

These can be reheated in the microwave, or in a crockpot on low that has been sprayed with a non-stick spray. They need about 3 hours to heat through if they have been cold. If you are going to need them heating shorter than that, make sure to microwave them some first. Also, if it will be longer than 3 hours in the crockpot, they might start getting a bit dried out and crusty, so be sure to stire them or add just a bit of water.

How long between leaving and dinner? When I make mashed potatoes, I immediately wrap the (regular) pot in a blanket and a featherbed (down sleeping bag would work too). They stay hot for several hours.

Probably 2 - 3 hours. It's hard to say. It's about a 35 - 40 minute ride, then appetizers, then dinner. I'm bringing the apps and I usually cook or finish cooking everything SIL has and that I bring. Sometimes I've walked in and she hasn't started the turkey. Other times, the turkey is done 5 minutes after we get there.

But, you're saying just wrap the cooking pot in some blankets and they'll stay warm. I do have a small down blanket. I can put the pot in a small box with the blanket and dish towels.

I've done mashed potatoes in the crockpot. The problem is that dairy breaks down after 3-4 hours in the crock, and so they started to taste overcooked after a while. I've done Giada de Laurentis's make ahead potatoes. They reheat in the oven and come out pretty well. I still prefer standard old homemade mashed potatoes, so I think I'd make ahead and reheat. Maybe cook the potatoes, then reheat and mash just before the meal, so they don't get overworked.

Thanks. They might be in the crock 3 hours before serving, so I'll keep that in mind.

2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese (I don’t think they carry these anymore in this size, so I just use a regular package minus a bit)

1 cup dairy sour cream

2 teaspoons onion salt (this is optional for my household. I often just use more regular salt)

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Mash until smooth.

Add cream cheese, sour cream, onion salt, salt, pepper, and butter. Beat with whisk or potatoe masher (I use my Bosch) until smooth and fluffy.

To Serve: Place desired amount of potatoes in greased casserole. Dot with butter and bake in 350 degree oven 30 minutes or until heated through. If you use the full amount, heat in 2 quart casserole.

These can be reheated in the microwave, or in a crockpot on low that has been sprayed with a non-stick spray. They need about 3 hours to heat through if they have been cold. If you are going to need them heating shorter than that, make sure to microwave them some first. Also, if it will be longer than 3 hours in the crockpot, they might start getting a bit dried out and crusty, so be sure to stire them or add just a bit of water.

Thanks. This is the recipe I was thinking of.

It's hard to believe they last 2 weeks! Have you kept them that long?

1 cup dairy sour cream

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Mash until smooth.

This is our family Thanksgiving mashed potato recipe now. We LOVE them...and they are easy. So nice to not have to peel potatoes the morning of Thanksgiving.

This is our family Thanksgiving mashed potato recipe now. We LOVE them...and they are easy. So nice to not have to peel potatoes the morning of Thanksgiving.

That's a plus!

Urgh...can't decide! this is what I do when I don't want to think/worry about BIG stuff. I get all anxious and indecisive about little things.

I would make the above mentioned potatoe recipe.  ( I have made them for over 18 years and this year's casserole is currently defrosting in the xtra fridge downstairs).  I would find out if there is room in the oven to put them when you get there.   If not, I would probably put them ina  crockpot after I  had them hot at home and plug them in when you get there. They'll be wonderful.

Pioneer Woman has a yummy mashed potato recipe that I just recently made and plan on making for Thanksgiving.  She says you can make them the day before and then reheat when you need them.  

Here is the recipe.  It looks similar to the above posted recipe with cream cheese but no sour cream.

Thanks so much for all the advice!

Here's what I did:

I did everything Wed. Night that I needed to get done, except the potatoes. It got too late and I was tired.

So Thurs. I made breakfast, did morning things, etc and was still trying to decide what to do. Next thing I knew, it was within 2 hours of our ETD. So I got started peeling and chopping.

And here is an icky yucky gaggy part...2 of the biggest potatoes in the 5lb bag were rotten and moldy. I had just bought the bag Tues, but a stock boy brought it out of the back for me cuz there were none out front. I usually carefully check to avoid this very gag-inducing situation! But since he went and got me the bag, I didn't want to look like a jerk and pick over it.

So, with what seemed like a pound of potatoes in the garbage, I decided to make regular mashed in case the recipe proportions would be too off. Once they were done, I put them in a warmed casserole dish, wrapped it with newspapers and kitchen towels and put it in an insulated bag.

I microwaveed them briefly before they were served...and the whole casserole-ful was eaten! Which made me feel like I didn't have enough and I was thinking of the stupid rotten ones...