Menu

Chili without seasoning packet or chili powder?

LNC

Missing key ingredients!

I browned ground beef and realized I forgot chili seasoning and am out of chili powder. I have chili beans and rotel, red pepper flakes, cayenne, and assorted other spices.

Recommendations how to season? I may save it for tomorrow. Can't go back to the store bc the game is about to start.

I'd add in the beans and other spices you do have. It will prob taste just fine.

I would, too, though chili powder is sort of an integral component to chili, so it would be different. Not bad, just not chili. Cumin would help it along to the tex-mex place, if you have that.

I would, too, though chili powder is sort of an integral component to chili, so it would be different. Not bad, just not chili. Cumin would help it along to the tex-mex place, if you have that.

I am out of cumin too! I found a spice mix recipe without cumin or chili powder, and they say it is good so... thanks!

Missing key ingredients!

I browned ground beef and realized I forgot chili seasoning and am out of chili powder. I have chili beans and rotel, red pepper flakes, cayenne, and assorted other spices.

Recommendations how to season? I may save it for tomorrow. Can't go back to the store bc the game is about to start.

The bulk of most chili powders is paprika because paprika is cheap and turns everything red which makes you feel more like it is chili.  The flavour usually comes from cumin, powdered garlic and cayenne. 

I would add garlic (real if you have it), then cumin and cayenne, along with some oregano, black pepper and salt -- all to taste.  The cumin and oregano will probably be about half to 2/3rds of the spices.  Just add, simmer at least 10 minutes, then taste and add more as needed.

I guess I can confess here:

I have made Chili many ways but now I am addicted to a mix called : Darn Good Chili..... It has great flavor, beans and  some rice in it.  So all I have to add is the beef and whatever I have on hand in the tomato, and extra beans

.. I actually rinsed out 2 ketchup bottles one night and it was great!    It calls for water and tomato paste.  I use 2 packs and 2 pounds of beef.  Usually we have organic Garlic and some fresh herbs to add a little flavor too but it tastes fine if we don't have time.  Another thing I add sometimes is chopped green peppers or cheese on top.  Cornbread is great with it, but that also depends on the time.... so any kind of cracker suits me.  I like the Wasa Sesame Crackers and we had cream cheese on those last time... I loved that!  

If Darn Good Chili Mix is on sale, I stock up now! 

If you use the cans of already seasoned chii beans and rotel, you don't need any other seasoning, really. I make my chili that way. I use ground beef or pork or some combo, canned chili beans, canned black beans, rotel, and tomato sauce. I sometimes add red pepper, and usually some salt and pepper in the meat. Oh, and I do put in some chopped onion and green pepper.