Menu

I just made an annoying and belated discovery about apps

Kathryn

I never understood why some apps that I bought went to both my phone and iPad and some were only on the device I bought it on. I just realized that when I "upgrade" to the paid version from inside the free app, it only upgrades on the device that I am on. If I want it on both devices for the price of one download, I have to go to the App Store and buy it from there. Am I the only person that didn't realize this?

No, it doesn't. For example, I got Splash Math first grade free version a few years ago. DS liked it, so when the app asked if I wanted to upgrade while he was playing it on the iPad, I did. So, he then had access to the full version, but the icon is still the one for the free version. Also, the app on my phone did not upgrade. This afternoon, he asked me to buy the third grade Splash Math. I had download the free version and it went to both my iPhone and iPad. I was beginning to wonder if my suspicions were correct, so instead of upgrading from within the app, I went to the App Store and bought it, and it downloaded the full version to both places. Then, I tried it with Cut the Rope (I wanted to experiment with a cheaper app, since Splash Math is $10). I had the free version that had downloaded to both places, and instead of going to the App Store to buy the paid version, I upgraded from within the app on the iPad. It only changed that one. Same price as it would have been to do it from the App Store and get it in both places, but it only did in one place.

What happens when you look at an app in the app store that you have bought as an upgrade? Does it show that you have purchased it?

No, it shows that I have not purchased it.

It shows this for the first grade and the kindergarten Splash Math apps, both of which I upgraded from within the apps.

No, it doesn't. For example, I got Splash Math first grade free version a few years ago. DS liked it, so when the app asked if I wanted to upgrade while he was playing it on the iPad, I did. So, he then had access to the full version, but the icon is still the one for the free version. Also, the app on my phone did not upgrade. This afternoon, he asked me to buy the third grade Splash Math. I had download the free version and it went to both my iPhone and iPad. I was beginning to wonder if my suspicions were correct, so instead of upgrading from within the app, I went to the App Store and bought it, and it downloaded the full version to both places. Then, I tried it with Cut the Rope (I wanted to experiment with a cheaper app, since Splash Math is $10). I had the free version that had downloaded to both places, and instead of going to the App Store to buy the paid version, I upgraded from within the app on the iPad. It only changed that one. Same price as it would have been to do it from the App Store and get it in both places, but it only did in one place.

Oh, maybe the purchase is straight from the developer. That's sneaky of them!

I had a similar issue, but fixed it (had the free version installed on 2 iPads, paid for upgrade on one and the upgrade didn't show up on the other). I think I deleted the free version from the iPad that didn't get the upgrade, then went to the app store through my iPad and was able to download the paid version. It may have looked like I had to pay, and then given me a message that I had previously purchased it so I would not be charged again. I don't remember the exact process, but I certainly didn't have to pay for it twice, and I have the paid version on both iPads!

Do you use multiple itunes accounts? Now I'm off to try this...

I agree with ondreeuh - I clicked on Buy but then got the message about it being purchased before. Also, the free and paid apps will both remain on your device; it's not like one will be replaced by the other.