Menu

Lego sales after Thanksgiving?

kilo90

My son has recently grown very interested in Lego City sets. He is asking for a pricey one (at least in my book) for Christmas. I've checked Black Friday ads on-line, but only see very specific sets on sale. Am I better off just buying the one he wants now and be done with it or do stores typically have good sales between Thanksgiving and Christmas?  I don't want to wait around hoping for a deal only for it to become hard/impossible to find.  This is the one item he really wants so I don't want to goof it up.  :001_huh:

Thanks for any insight. I'm new to the Lego set world. 

Gloria

I'd hold off too, but still keep in mind that it's unlikely there's going to be a massive discount on Lego, pretty much ever. Sometimes I'll see Kmart do a buy one, get one deal, but only on specific Lego, and then, if I'm buying a $100 set already, I'd rather get a discount up front than find another expensive set for the freebie (although great for future birthday, Christmas). If you're in the Pacific Northwest, Fred Meyer will usually have a 10% off any toy coupon very regularly, and sometimes will do specific types of Lego on a 25% off sale (the City Lego is sometimes one of these). Since there's so many different Lego sets, a particular store may not have the set you're looking for either.

You might also look at Amazon and use the Amazon price tracker (http://camelcamelcamel.com/) to see the history of how low the price has gone on that particular set too, and check back there for a lowered price.

Erica in OR

Eh, I say buy now.  I've seen the shelves get half emptied of sets at Target and go really low at our toy store before Christmas.  And the price gauging for Legos on Amazon is amazing post-Thanksgiving.  I've seen sets that are supposed to be $40 have a minimum listing of $200 or more.  It's so absurd sometimes that when my boys put Legos on their Amazon wishlists for grandparents, I put a note on it that says the MSRP and says not to pay more in case they don't know what they're doing.  It could turn out to be no big deal to get it closer to Christmas, but I don't see them go on sale much, so I'd go ahead and buy.

I would buy it now if you can find it. My daughter wanted a very specific lego set (cruise ship dolphin something) and I found it on Amazon for less than what they wanted in Walmart. I don't know that I have ever seen a big discount on legos, they are pretty popular. If you do find it on sale you could always return the first one.

The best sale we've ever seen on LEGO is about 25% off...these tend to rotate between collections/size/types.  We try to buy at that point (Buy one, get one 50% off is pretty good, too...as long as you make sure the sets you're getting are equal!)

Clearance sales on LEGO I've found aren't generally much better than 25% off.  Occasionally, there might be something better...but it is pretty rare.  If there is a specific set you're wanting for Christmas, I'd buy it and watch the sales.

My kids are all really into LEGO.  Girls and Boys.  LEGO tip -- many Goodwills have a bin of random toys you can pick through and fill a bag for $5.  We got about 2 gallons of small LEGO/Bionicle pieces for $10 that way...the ones Goodwill bags themselves we haven't found to be as good a deal, and every great once in awhile, we'll come across some new-in-the-box complete sets at sales like this, special "kid consignment" sales (not stores) have also been a huge boon for finding great sets (we just bought a new technics set...paid $8 for it, retail was $75).

Check Toys R Us now...many sets are 20% off, those that aren't, you can get 15% off your purchase.  And, if you expect LEGO is going to be a big deal in your family, sign up for the Rewards Program, and try to purchase ahead of time/double points days...they also have FREE LEGO events (free pieces/building sets one per child)...the points translate to Gift certificates.  

ETA: I just used mine ;)  Bought baby girl the LEGO friends "Olivia's House" for a total of $41 (which is a huge present in our family...) the set normally is $85.  That was combining the 20% off with my Rewards.

I really appreciate all the tips and advice. I really don't know if it's a poplar set. It's the Police Station. I think it's been around for a while.  I wondered if BOGO 50% would be a sale, but that wouldn't help much since I'd have to buy 2 pricey sets. 

Thanks for the website tip Erica in OR. Great site!  

I did check the current TRU site and this is excluded from their 15% off sale. 

Pretty sure I'll buy the thing today. How sad would I be if I let the possibility of saving $10 be the reason I'm in a jam in 3 weeks.  :crying:

Thank you for the replies!

Gloria

Just remember with the toys r us sales that they mark everything up before they discount it.  For example they have the Chima Gorzon Gorilla Striker 25% off this week which makes it 41.99 but it normally sells for 44.99 (at target, walmart, etc).  I bought three sets for christmas this week and every one was on sale at toys r us but cheaper on amazon or at target with the $5 off lego coupon.

Just remember with the toys r us sales that they mark everything up before they discount it.  For example they have the Chima Gorzon Gorilla Striker 25% off this week which makes it 41.99 but it normally sells for 44.99 (at target, walmart, etc).  I bought three sets for christmas this week and every one was on sale at toys r us but cheaper on amazon or at target with the $5 off lego coupon.

Toys R Us Lego prices in store are almost always marked up, even when NOT on sale.

Online? They are better. So if possible, buy TRU Legos online and "pickup at the store"