Menu

Would you let your child take an elective class at a public school?

Laura in VA

We are living in Okinawa, Japan, and the Dept of Defense school system will allow homeschooling students to take classes. I would not want her to take any core classes, but I am thinking about letting her take Japanese. I would have to provide transportation for her, but that would not be a problem. I guess my concern is this: Would this be compromising my homeschooling beliefs? Part of me feels this would be a great opportunity for her to learn the language of the country in which we live, but part of me is concerned with the environment of middle schools. What do you think?

Totally go for it. The best way for her to really learn the langugae is to be completely immersed in it and what better way than to take Japanese IN Japan!!!!! My dd is envious. She would love to learn Japanese IN Japan.

As for compromising your homeschool philosophy...well only you can answer that. Personally, we homeschool to give our children the best possible education. I don't see the conflict.

HTHs,

I don't think utilizing a class offered at a school is compromising your decision to HS - you are still making the choices for your own dc. Is the class going to be a damaging influence via the other kids in the class???? idk, but one class is probably not enough time to have a huge influence - depending on the dc.

*I* would do it in a heartbeat! I'm a bit jealous:tongue_smilie:

When I read your subject line I thought "nope" and then I read your post. I think I probably would in your case. If you're taking her there and picking her up, she's probably not spending a lot of time there so social influences aren't going to be much of an issue, I would assume. And maybe it's just my impression, but I thought Japanese classrooms are more strict than their western counterparts, so I would imagine that any poor attitudes of students aren't going to bleed over much. And as the pp said - what a great way to study Japanese - immersion!

And I don't think you're compromising on your hs goals if you do decide to let her do it. You're carefully considering an opportunity and making what you hope is the best decision.

You can always pull her out if you feel it's not working for any reason.

Does your dd want to do it?

When I read your subject line I thought "nope" and then I read your post. I think I probably would in your case. If you're taking her there and picking her up, she's probably not spending a lot of time there so social influences aren't going to be much of an issue, I would assume. And maybe it's just my impression, but I thought Japanese classrooms are more strict than their western counterparts, so I would imagine that any poor attitudes of students aren't going to bleed over much. And as the pp said - what a great way to study Japanese - immersion!

And I don't think you're compromising on your hs goals if you do decide to let her do it. You're carefully considering an opportunity and making what you hope is the best decision.

You can always pull her out if you feel it's not working for any reason.

Does your dd want to do it?

I've only mentioned that it may be a possibility. I told her that it was a decision that her father and I would have to be in complete agreement on and that we'd have to pray about it. Let me clarify that the school is not a Japanese school. It's an American school. Japanese is the main foreign language they offer (obviously). I think she would enjoy it. She's very out-going. Lots to think about...

How are you liking Okinawa? We were there about 8 years ago and it was one of our best tours! Our oldest was only 2 at the time though so we weren't homeschooling yet. We may be going back to Japan, but it will probably be mainland.

To answer your question... When we were in FL, they allowed homeschoolers to participate in the gifted/talented program there. My daughter went 1 day a week in 1st grade. At the time we thought it was a wonderful opportunity for her to experience being in a classroom with other children. However, it is not something that I would consider now for any of my children!

So she would be attending class with other American middle school children in an American DOD school, right? That's a tough one! I don't know if I would want my girls, who are completely and totally sheltered, around junior high kids, most of whom are completely and totally NOT sheltered, on a regular basis. That would be a tough choice for us! I think you would need to weigh how badly she wants to learn Japanese against what negative issues could possibly arise from this.

Good luck with your decision!

We get our household goods shipment tomorrow and I am looking forward to having our things. I know what you mean about the middle school girls. I've already explained to my dd that they can be ruthless, and she agrees because a couple of her friends attended middle school and she witnessed a change in their personalities. DH and I are just going to have to sit down and really pray about it.

Laura,

I don't remember where you are, but I know you aren't on Kadena.

If the DOD school doesn't work out, and it may work well, (we did Kindergarten specials at the school down the street last year and it worked out wonderfully. We are still registered as HS'ers so we can check out books from teh school library) there is an AWESOME japanese teacher at teh Kadena USO. She only teaches homeschoolers, because she only works during the school day. She also teaches piano. We used her for Japanese for most of last year, but my son was moving along so fast, and leaving me so far behind, I just couldn't help him practice. She was starting him on writing and while he could do it, he needed my help and assistance to practice, and I just couldn't do it. (Yes, totally showed up by a K'er!) so we stopped.

Another option is Kumon. If I remember you are on one of the smaller bases, but check at your community center and see if they offer it. You have the choice of math or Japanese. It was only $50 a month, $45 with a club card. But from what I've heard, very worth it, especially for older kids. The only bummer about that, especially if you have to come to Kadena or Foster is that Kumone ususally starts around 2:30/3:00 because it is geared to be after school.

PM me if you have any more questions. I also monitor the OKinawans group so you can reach me that way too.

Kelly

Oh, one warning, in the beginning, the schedules can get changed often as the numbers of kids settle. If they end up with not enough kids for a class, or too many, they can merge things and change things around. It takes a few weeks for the numbers to cement up and everyone to know what's going on. If you do go the school route, just be prepared that things could change, but after the first few weeks, when everyone is pretty much PCSed in and registerd at their school (versus registerd at their TLF while waiting for housing or whatever) it will stop and you'll be set for the year. It is frustrating when/if it happens, but it does stop.

Good luck.

I'd say go for it. I'm intending to send mine to Saturday school for another language. I'll check out the teacher, the style of teaching and all that. If I'm happy, the kids can take that class. I see one class like this the same way as any other extra curricular activity. Check it out, listen to the goss from other parents and accept that it won't be a perfect environment. Are the imperfections going completely against your values or desires? Or are they minor annoyances in the same way that the rules at grandma's house aren't quite the same as at home.

Rosie

I have no idea whether it would compromise your homeschooling philosophy/beliefs, but it would not compromise mine! We are not homeschooling because we believe public/private schools are BAD; we are homeschooling because we believe homeschooling is GOOD.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but as a Christian homeschooling parent, I look for good situations in which my kiddos can interact with non-Christians--I think that has value in and of itself, apart from the value of learning a new language. A lot of Christian subcultures seem to encourage a deep suspicion of non-Christians and hence, a very un-Christlike attitude toward them. I don't view my kids as "mini-missionaries", I just hope they grow up understanding that the difference between Christians and non-Christians is Christ--not "morals" or "motives" or what-have-you.

Wow! That last paragraph was quite a highjack, wasn't it? Sorry--this topic has been on my mind lately, and I'm still sorting it through. My comments are not directed at you personally!!!

Anyway, I'm sure God will lead you to what's best.

Susan