Menu

*UPDATE* To VBAC or not to VBAC?

Ann.without.an.e

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first was an unnecessary c-section, pushed into by dr. I had major abdominal pain due to complications for many months afterwards (9 months later it could still drop me to the floor). My 2nd and 3rd were induced VBACs. With the first, the OB who had talked very positively about my plans for a VBAC early on in my pregnancy made a complete reversal at the end. I really only managed to get that first VBAC because we had HMO insurance, so the OB who happened to be on shift when I was sent in for hypertension was not the same one I'd been seeing, and was very supportive.

I suggest asking if they have telemetry units for their monitors at the hospital you are thinking of going with. Because I had to be induced with both my VBACs, I had to be monitored at all times in labor at both hospitals. But at the first, that meant lying flat on my back in bed until I cried for the epidural after the first 9 hours, and at the second, I was able to speed walk up and down the halls with my husband chasing me with the IV stand carrying the telemetry unit, while they monitored me from the nurses' station. Labor was so much easier, faster, and less painful, and they were able to turn down and eventually turn off my Pitocen drip, because the walking was driving the contractions so effectively. After experiencing both, I will travel any distance to avoid being confined to a bed again.

PS

I just need to add that, for me, because DS #1 was such a very scary and touch-and-go situation (he had to stay in the hospital for the first 10 days for IV of antibiotics for the strep), I was SO okay with it if a VBAC didn't happen, even though that and natural childbirth were my wishes -- I just wanted my baby safe, whichever way he got out into the world! :)

I honestly feel very similar to this.  I would definitely prefer to try a VBAC, but DS would not be alive without a section and I am very thankful for the ability to section when necessary.  In the end, if I absolutely must have a section it won't traumatize me.  I would like the freedom to try for that VBAC though.

Even if you're not comfortable with induction, being somewhere where they will give you time to go into labor on your own and are supportive of VBAC is HUGE!  And there are non-pitocin ways to induce.  If you can find a good naturopath or midwife, they can give you herbs that can help kick things into gear too.  So there are lots of options.

This is what I figure.  At first, I was hesitant because I couldn't find anyone truly supportive of a VBAC.  This office seems truly supportive and that makes all the difference in the world.  

How old is your youngest? That would factor into my comfort level.

With the update, I personally would go for the vbac. The only thing that would give me pause would be if your youngest will be less than 2 years apart from this baby.

No matter what, go with your gut.

I would be hesitant with babies close in age too.  My youngest will be just over 5 when this one is born.  5 years is a pretty long time to heal :)

I just wanted to add that for me, my 2nd C-sec, which was an emergency (but not super yowza emergency, just not planned in advance) C-sec was a much better experience for me because I went into it knowing that I HAD done everything I could to have a VBAC, and that there was actually a good reason for it (something I didn't feel--and still don't--about my first c-section). I wasn't pushed into an induction or scheduled C-sec before 42 weeks, and even after arriving at the hospital because baby's heart rate started doing wonky things at home, was able to have another trial of labor for 4 hours after getting an epidural, (transport was after was fully dialated and heart rate dropped when pushing).

For me, just knowing that I was the one making the decisions, and that they weren't based on someone else's arbitrary CYA policies, made a huge huge difference in how I felt about the outcome.

I was induced with a VBAC, and it was not in a way that increased my risk.  They used the foley balloon method that another poster mentioned, inserting it past the cervix, and filling with water to simulate the pressure of the baby's head pushing down.  It worked really well for me, and it is what I am planning if I need to be induced with this baby (although I hope that it happens naturally!). 

I'm over 25 minutes away from any hospital, so the 45 minutes wouldn't be a "no go" for me personally!

If you have specific questions let me know :)

ETA: I did have some Pitocin once I was in labor, as he was getting close to being born.  It was on for a short time only though, and at a lower dose than they would have used for someone not having a VBAC

I was induced with a VBAC, and it was not in a way that increased my risk.  They used the foley balloon method that another poster mentioned, inserting it past the cervix, and filling with water to simulate the pressure of the baby's head pushing down.  It worked really well for me, and it is what I am planning if I need to be induced with this baby (although I hope that it happens naturally!). 

I'm over 25 minutes away from any hospital, so the 45 minutes wouldn't be a "no go" for me personally!

If you have specific questions let me know :)

ETA: I did have some Pitocin once I was in labor, as he was getting close to being born.  It was on for a short time only though, and at a lower dose than they would have used for someone not having a VBAC

When we discussed yesterday, my OB mentioned that he would only use the Foley catheter/balloon in conjunction with Pitocin, because there needed to be contractions for the balloon to really work. Hmmm.

When we discussed yesterday, my OB mentioned that he would only use the Foley catheter/balloon in conjunction with Pitocin, because there needed to be contractions for the balloon to really work. Hmmm.

I can't wait to hear how your VBAC goes.  Make sure you either update up on the Chat board and/or message me and let me know.  I want all the details, hehe.

I had no contractions at all when I went in.  I had an abnormal biophysical profile, and the baby had low fluid.  I was not at all in or ready for labor, lol. 

Once the balloon was inflated I started contracting nearly immediately.  Within a minute or two.  Didn't stop until he was born.  The balloon caused the contractions to start, they don't need to be there first. The little bit of Pitocin I had was much later, after the balloon came out, and was just to speed up / strengthen the contractions.  I probably could have done without it, as my labor was not stalling, but it was 22 hours, so I was ok with a little speeding up! 

• 2 weeks later...

I can't wait to hear how your VBAC goes.  Make sure you either update up on the Chat board and/or message me and let me know.  I want all the details, hehe.

So, my current profile picture / gravatar tells it all... we wound up with our third Cesarean, and I couldn't be happier. See that smile in my eyes? The booger is perfect, I'm in love, our surgical team was fantastic, not looking back.

Induction just didn't work, I never made it past 1cm... and it's all good. He was born on the 3rd, and this has been my easiest recovery so far. I thank God for my OB and his team, and I especially thank him for my little man, however he was decreed to come into my arms. :)

So, my current profile picture / gravatar tells it all... we wound up with our third Cesarean, and I couldn't be happier. See that smile in my eyes? The booger is perfect, I'm in love, our surgical team was fantastic, not looking back.

Induction just didn't work, I never made it past 1cm... and it's all good. He was born on the 3rd, and this has been my easiest recovery so far. I thank God for my OB and his team, and I especially thank him for my little man, however he was decreed to come into my arms. :)

Congratulations!