Menu

Random: what do you do when you're in a rut?

JustEm

I used to dye my hair every time I would get into a rut about once a year or so.  Some new color.  Natural color is light brown. I've had my hair super blonde, blondish, strawberry blonde, multiple types of red, and once even plum colored(don't know how the auburn dye turned out so dark but that was corrected very quickly.) I no longer dye my hair so I was wondering what new thing I'll start doing every time I get in a rut.  I've been in a rut for the last few weeks and still haven't thought of anything to get out of it.  For some reason dying my hair always fixed it.

I rarely buy clothes for myself. I guess I'm just a hot mess with fashion. But when I want to spruce myself up a bit, I go buy some new shirts. I wear only one kind of jeans so buying pants/skirts is not an option I'd be interested in.

If you're in a rut with your daily routine, try a game night with the family. We go through spurts of playing games together as a family. It's nice to spend time together without watching tv. Last time we got in the mood, we bought a couple of new games to have something different.

And with food, which is extremely rare, I try a new recipe. We're plain eaters though so nothing really sticks.

I was never brave with color, but I used to go for a new style whenever I was in a rut. Is that an option, or are you looking for a solution that doesn't involve hair? In that case, start a new hobby if you're crafty.

hmm I didn't even think about changing the style!!! Its been so long since I've done that!  Good idea.

I used to dye my hair every time I would get into a rut about once a year or so.  Some new color.  Natural color is light brown. I've had my hair super blonde, blondish, strawberry blonde, multiple types of red, and once even plum colored(don't know how the auburn dye turned out so dark but that was corrected very quickly.) I no longer dye my hair so I was wondering what new thing I'll start doing every time I get in a rut.  I've been in a rut for the last few weeks and still haven't thought of anything to get out of it.  For some reason dying my hair always fixed it.

Declutter.

Rearrange furniture.

Paint.

Cook from a long forgotten cookbook or simply try a new recipe.

Play a game with the kids that we've not played in a long time.

Try to get away for a day trip over the weekend.

I hole up for a few days and watch television.  Not just a show but, like, an entire series; every season that's available.  The highs, the lows, the watching of other people dealing with their ruts destructively or productively ... it's usually enough to get me out of my own rut. 

2009, all 6 seasons of Judging Amy

2010, all 7 seasons of Gilmore Girls in 8 days. It was a rough rut. ;)

2011, The Office (UK) followed by The Office (US).

2012, 5 seasons of Mad Men - which reminds me, I haven't caught up on the 6th season yet ...

2013, all three seasons of Shameless (US) and both seasons of Scandal over 10 days

I don't watch much tv, and I don't follow what's on or who's who, so it's always new to me. I ask friends for recommendations, and my only requirement is that the show is at least two seasons in. I don't like teasers, which is what one-season shows are (to me). LOL

I also get new lipstick.  That's a carryover from when I was younger.  My ex-husband can tell my general state of mind by how bold or dark my lipstick is!