Menu

Boosting immunity with supplements and foods?

Chris in VA

Dd is getting sick more frequently than I'd like to see--Given that she's in ps, I'd be ok with an occasional cold, but she's had two already this year. Everyone got sick about a month ago, and it took us a full two weeks to feel better. Now she's coming down with something similar--starts with sore throat, progresses in about a day to drippy nose and slight cough, and feeling lousy.

She eats fairly well, but we could all use a tune-up in that dept. She sleeps about 8.5 to 9 hrs a night (bedtime is 9pm, wakes at 6:10). She's good with washing hands/hygiene. 

Are there specific supplements to boost immunity? Extra-nutritious foods? (I know about green smoothies and will be heading in that direction--anything else?) 

flu and strep throat are rampant here. my daughter is also in public school and they are dropping like flies there.  we are all taking D3 (5,000 i.u.), C, A, and Zinc. So far, we are all okay.  As for food, fresh orange juice and lemonade for vitamin C. dark leafy greens are great.  fruits and veggies. rest. sunshine. exercise.

What works for us:

*decrease as much as possible -- white-flour based foods and sugar

*add in 2 FRESH citrus daily -- not orange juice but oranges, tangerines, grapefruit.  The more tree-ripened you can get them, the better.  Even adding lemons or limes to your water daily can really help

*plenty of sleep

Lisa

Zinc and doses of vit C , up the doses if you start to fill that "tingle" of a sore throat or ear ache (all these threads reminded me to reorder for our stash :lol: ).

Garlic and local onions...as much as you can handle.... raw if you can LOL..Onion is primarily for tummy bugs...DH eats a raw onion whenever we travel somewhere  (and I mean outside the USA) and never gets a bug at all (he even drinks the tap water, while I stick to bottled water and I still sometimes still get a tummy bug, I think from washed fruit or brushing teeth).

Get your dd to use a neti pot.  That will help with the dripping and help with sinus infections. 

A tsp to a tbl of raw local honey every day.  More then once a day if you are coughing.  Eat it off the spoon or put it in tea.

Chicken soup

Raw garlic. If you can swallow a whole clove great.  Smash it and let it sit for 15 minutes to release the oils and take it.  For my kids, I mince it and then after it sits I mix it with applesauce (don't ask me why this is the only way they will take it).

I just started giving my kids today.....

Multivitamin

Elderberry syrup

Vitamin c

And I plan to buy vitamin D.

How do you know how much C and D to safely give kids?

With vitamin C, you'll know that you're giving them too much because they'll probably start getting diarrhea.  This idea of "bowel tolerance" will let you know how much they can handle, especially if you're giving extra C when a cold is coming on.  

With vitamin D, I think 400 IU is a good starting point.  You can get drops like this that provide 400 IU in just one drop:  http://www.vitacost.com/carlson-super-daily-d3-for-kids-400-iu-365-drops

I buy Rainbow LIght Vitamin D3 gummies for my teens, and there are 3 choices:  400 IU, 1000 IU, and 2500 IU.  I buy the 2500 IU all winter and sometimes we'll take less in summer and do the 400 IU gummies.    Just make sure that it's D3 that you buy. 

I forgot about vitamin D. She needs healthy D levels. If you don't supplement, she's likely low. Use only D3 forms. The average person needs about 1000 IU per 25 pounds each day to maintain levels. So raising would be more than that. It safe to bump above that for a while. A healthy adult could take up to 10,000 IU per day indefinitely without concerns of toxicity. She's smaller than an adult, so dosing doesn't apply. But that gives you an idea of how difficult it actually is to get toxic. Healthy D has made all the difference here for us.