Menu

Insurance for Learning disability testing?

I have my insurance policy out.  It says that it will not pay for vision therapy.  So that's clear enough.  Then it says that it will not pay for mental health treatment for certain conditions.  Under this paragraph it says "this would include, but is not limited to, such issues as occupational or academic problems".  So this means no learning disability testing, right?

Even if they will not cover all of it, they might cover some of it, such as the diagnostic visit(s) and the glasses (if any).  Ask the doctor / therapist to break out the bill into categories based on medical coding (hopefully they will know what that means better than I can explain it).  Every little bit helps.

Jean - I don't know if you have Regence, but since they are a huge carrier in our general area I thought it might be worth mentioning that they have just lost a lawsuit regarding their denials of neurodevelopmental claims and they have recently been required by the Insurance Commissioner to begin paying out on these types of claims. If your insurance is Regence, I think it would be worth some further investigation or appeals to see if they have updated their policies.

Jean - I don't know if you have Regence, but since they are a huge carrier in our general area I thought it might be worth mentioning that they have just lost a lawsuit regarding their denials of neurodevelopmental claims and they have recently been required by the Insurance Commissioner to begin paying out on these types of claims. If your insurance is Regence, I think it would be worth some further investigation or appeals to see if they have updated their policies.

Yes, it is Regence.  They still have not gotten back to me.   But then it is the weekend now so I don't expect a call back now until Monday.  

I mentioned insurance in the 'how to pay' thread.

We had an epic battle with our insurance company to cover therapy, even though we have a medical dx that implies the child is going to have developmental delays and our state specifically states that insurance companies must cover certain therapies for developmental delays.

We started therapy, knowing that they weren't covering. In the meantime, we started filing appeals. Each appeal takes 6-8 weeks. We lost three appeals, the most you can appeal before taking it to the state attorney general. After we lost our final shot at appealing, we called up insurance and said, "Really? You want us to take it to the state attorney general?" We were notified the next day that we won our appeal and they would reimburse us for all the claims denied.

I share that because - There are laws about what insurance companies must pay. It does depend on the dx. But - always fight and appeal. The key is to wear them out. Mention the word 'lawyer' if you have to. Always ask to speak to someone above the person you are talking to. Write down names, titles and date/time you spoke with them. 

I agree with the above. We had Regence and went through 3 internal appeals over OT, lost all 3, went to an outside appeal which was the last step before the Insurance Commissioner and/or lawsuit. We won on that round and Regence did have to pay. Appeal, appeal, appeal and fight for it especially given what has been happening recently with this insurance company.